Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Discussions about UT99
Chronox
Novice
Personal rank: Rookie Admin

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Chronox »

Thank you all !

Nice Script Chamberly, pretty useful and HDD friendly !

BTW I have been using http://www.utredirect.org.uk/uz/ all this time, not the old one, I just made a typo in the earlier post.

EDITED: Current files uploaded (23/09/2013)
As I mentioned, the files that need to be uploaded are:

2k4Sounds20.u.uz
2k4Sounds21.u.uz
bitch.uax.uz
bitchPackage.u.uz
ComboShockv1e.u.uz
NexgenABM101N.u.uz
NWUltraGoreSSEa.u.uz
Oni.uax.uz
OniPackage.u.uz
SmartDM105.u.uz
SmartDMScoreBoard105.u.uz
VulgarPackage.u.uz
VulgarPackage.uax.uz
WhoPushedMe.u.uz

Just those ones, not the entire .rar :P

BTW, it would be good to upload popular mod´s latest versions, like the new SmartDM105 (Released a couple of days ago) http://www.proasm.com/files/ut/SmartDM105.zip (.uz included !)

Again, thanks for your time :)
Last edited by Chronox on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Skillz wrote: I will also say that I have a new job that I should be making some really good money, if that happens then ut-files will be back before the end of the year.
There was a protracted server move with more space earlier this week which fell through because the host oversold disk space on their node and was unable to accomodate basically.

Will still be moving although that should be by early next week hopefully.

The setup on that will be:
Apache with reverse proxy NGINX, Varnish Cache and some php opcode cache script probably xcache + memcache combo.

Will you be getting a dedi again? I have been running this on a XEN VDS (at a very good discounted price) I can hand that over to you with discount in tact (I believe). The new server next week will have the following specs:
Three full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
3072 MB of RAM
300 GB of RAID-protected storage
3000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

I will be going dedicated again. Same company, same server (specs)
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:@ Chronox

your file CTF-AreaN23.unr.uz is not the same as redirect
yours is smallest.
Chronox
Novice

Post by Chronox »

ANy different file should not be in the redirect, thanks Medor, it isnt a problem if you dont upload it, I will get the one from the redirect and use it on my server ! :D

Thanks !
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Skillz wrote:I will be going dedicated again. Same company, same server (specs)
In that case it's not really a good idea for me to put time into the new VPS setup? Just thinking whether I should pursue this or not.
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Well that's up to you. I say the end of the year because it most likely will be the end of December before I can do anything.

I also have a good bit of free time after work and before bed right now, so I can help you configure/setup a VPS if you wish.

I never intended for ut-files.com to be the end all, be all file distribution service. I welcome anyone who wants to also host files. In fact, my original intentions of ut-files.com was just to be a back end hosting mirror for a "real" site that's complete with images, descriptions, multiple download locations, etc... (Similar to Beyond Unreal's Fireworks. Since it apparently will never get fixed)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Skillz wrote:In fact, my original intentions of ut-files.com was just to be a back end hosting mirror for a "real" site that's complete with images, descriptions, multiple download locations, etc... (Similar to Beyond Unreal's Fireworks. Since it apparently will never get fixed)
I actually intended to do that (I built even a PHP class just to read UT packages, validating them, checking dependencies against a consistent database, extract screenshots from maps automatically from upload, even extract some kinds of data to be able to have a good search engine to locate any map or mod wanted with the help of the sphinx engine or so, etc, etc, which I released to public btw), with links to trusted mirrors such as yours, and I still somewhat want to an extent, but just like you, I don't really have the time nor the financial means to do so right now, I have to finish up other things first (although the financial would be the lesser problem, since I was planning a new high performance scaled architecture of my own for free shared hosting, so with a donations system the site would be better and faster for everyone, without any it would still run to an extent, just a little bit slower and with limited capacity).

But I wouldn't link to all files in the mirror, my database would only consist of quality maps and mods connected properly to each developer who actually made them, so all the thousands of buggy stuff, room after room and redeemers in a box maps, and others along those lines wouldn't be indexed at all. Quality over quantity is what I prefer, and that would also result in having people to make a bit more effort to do something good (since what I see most of the times is that many developers either shy out or are lazy to do better).
Among several features I planned, one worth mentioning is perhaps having in each file links to servers hosting said maps and mods so one could just enter directly a server to play with a mod rather than having to download it, install it and then decide either or not looking for servers or hosting one.

Perhaps one day, once I finish my remaining stuff.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Apologies for veering off-topic, but I've often thought it would be valuable to have a similar online repository of UT resource files for the sake of map-makers. An index of all known textures, with screenshots, representative keywords, and example usage. Sounds, available to listen to and similarly keyworded. System files, with detailed descriptions of functionality and instructions for use. That sort of thing.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

^ That was one of my intentions with the above as well, hence that PHP package I built that reads pretty much everything from an UT one. But hopefully someone may start doing something like that in the near future, that's why I even released said package to the public, if not, well....
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Skillz wrote:Well that's up to you. I say the end of the year because it most likely will be the end of December before I can do anything.

I also have a good bit of free time after work and before bed right now, so I can help you configure/setup a VPS if you wish.

I never intended for ut-files.com to be the end all, be all file distribution service. I welcome anyone who wants to also host files. In fact, my original intentions of ut-files.com was just to be a back end hosting mirror for a "real" site that's complete with images, descriptions, multiple download locations, etc... (Similar to Beyond Unreal's Fireworks. Since it apparently will never get fixed)
Well the reason why I would stop hosting is so that there could be dedicated resource where people would go to. It's better for a consolidated place rather than millions of "pocket" places..

The VDS is actually higher spec than before and it's pretty powerful. I'm just thinking with the limited time I have, it will be a challenge for me to (ATM) to configure it all (how I want it) and then also to maintain it. I have all the basics covered though and the VDS is up and running. I was thinking about hosting a forum on the VDS also however installing additional packages, mysql etc etc all eats into the dedicated resource that could be used to serve the files at a faster rate. Reverse proxy NGINX works well however, my NGINX knowledge is limited. I'll consider whether keeping it up is a good idea.

I might take you up on your offer though ;)

@Ferali

That sounds like a very very time consuming project. I might be able to help you start off?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

$carface wrote: @Ferali

That sounds like a very very time consuming project. I might be able to help you start off?
Well, I am always in very time consuming projects :tongue: :mrgreen:
My problem is mostly time indeed, but the thing is when I get to do something as this I am going to build my own framework ground up, specially made for lightning performance and scaleability, while being secure (as the challenge is to test it in a decent shared free hosting first and be fast and work just fine). I already have the generic architecture somewhat in my head, and I have already built (and I am still building) some stuff UScript-side to communicate with it (hashing functions, custom HTTP requests, JSON encoder/decoder, even a small simple local relational database system working with SQL (and be as ACID compliant as it can be, although some of the requirements such as atomicity is inherently guaranteed due to the single threaded nature of the engine), among other things).
However it's on hold for now so I can finish my other stuff first, so I am only going to continue with this after that. People probably won't hear about this kind of project (from me at least) for a while.
Thanks for the help offer, but my real problem is mostly having other things to finish first, and I don't want to use an existing framework or CMS since none of them were made for what I want to achieve, and they all have some hardwired limitations and hindrances I don't like.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Ok Ferali, I thought the hosting costs and what not were an issue.

@Skillz I'll leave the server up for now as is until yours is back up then I'll take it down.
Chronox
Novice

Post by Chronox »

All that Stuff.. Seems pretty complex !

When you think of it, it has been more than 10 years, and you guys are still helping and giving some your free time (along with others),
to help the UT community ! Wonderful :D

BTW: I just re-compressed the files that should be in utredirect.org.uk/uz/ (Only 5 MBs)
Inside the .rar are several recently released mutators/mods (Like NWUltragore and SmartDM105) that some servers might be using.

Still waiting for them to be uploaded after 2 weeks, lol. I hope Medor has some free time left :X (Merci beaucoup mon ami !)

http://www.mediafire.com/?xyal6e7oaxsgvfr (5 MBs)

Thanks for your time and effort mates !
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

$carface wrote:Ok Ferali, I thought the hosting costs and what not were an issue.
Hmm, I think I didn't get my point across (sorry about that). What I meant is that, hosting costs are indeed an issue, but are one of the issues I am trying to tackle with technology alone.
Think of it as "progressive enhancement", where I (am going to try to) develop technology to run in zero-cost hosts (free file hosts, free web hosts, free DB hosts, etc), and run well at the level of a small paid one, but once it gets some financial input (when it justifies to that is, due to a sheer increase on traffic or so), the service gets uncomparably better, being able to serve an higher amount of people with the same quality service that you would expect from a semi-dedicated service.

Once I get the technology developed (based on simplicity and performance-oriented architecture), I am going to first use it to build something related to UT to test it out (and maintain in case people start to use it).
Therefore, my point is that right now the only thing I lack is time to continue with it, but even if I didn't, and despite me not having the financial security to start it properly, any financial input would be wasteful and would defeat the purpose of what I am going to try to accomplish in time.