Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Discussions about UT99
User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9383
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by papercoffee » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:41 am

mrtechwizard wrote:Why is the pub redirect so big? what does the redirect do?
ShaiHulud wrote:Hey there, welcome to the forum. Just to clarify, this thread wasn't about a free copy of the game UT, but rather about a free "redirect server" for administrators running UT servers. File downloads rates from a UT server are extremely limited. A redirect server takes over this responsibility and allows UT server visitors to download files (maps, textures, and so on) at a much more reasonable speed. Normally there's a cost involved in this - a redirect server is essentially a web server - so you would be paying web hosting rates to get one running. The UnrealKillers clan shared their redirect server address so that other server administrators could use it as their redirect server at no cost.

ut-files.com has taken over that responsibility again now
ShaiHulud explained it already... and Chamberly explained it more "user-friendly".
I think it's clear now.

User avatar
Chamberly
Godlike
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:32 pm
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora
Location: TN, USA
Contact:

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Chamberly » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:10 am

papercoffee wrote:
mrtechwizard wrote:Why is the pub redirect so big? what does the redirect do?
ShaiHulud wrote:Hey there, welcome to the forum. Just to clarify, this thread wasn't about a free copy of the game UT, but rather about a free "redirect server" for administrators running UT servers. File downloads rates from a UT server are extremely limited. A redirect server takes over this responsibility and allows UT server visitors to download files (maps, textures, and so on) at a much more reasonable speed. Normally there's a cost involved in this - a redirect server is essentially a web server - so you would be paying web hosting rates to get one running. The UnrealKillers clan shared their redirect server address so that other server administrators could use it as their redirect server at no cost.

ut-files.com has taken over that responsibility again now
ShaiHulud explained it already... and Chamberly explained it more "user-friendly".
I think it's clear now.
Well he asked... So why not... probably too much info in that post to understand... so another way to explain might work. :loool:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Carbon
Inhuman
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Carbon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:03 pm

The continuing irony of the guy's nickname and questions of this sort (BUF as well) really makes me chuckle. No offence to mrtechwizard! :)

User avatar
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Posts: 3225
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 pm
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist
Location: Kernow, UK
Contact:

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:27 am

Hehe, yes but we are all new to something and the wise person is up-front when asking.
Note the direct and concise nature of the questions, and they are exactly the questions to ask to get a sensible answer.

The only thing I would add to the explanation is that, it is big because it has the files for many servers rather than 1 (like a private redirect).
The more clans and servers use it, the bigger it gets.
There are plenty of these sites/services run by various clans and groups.
Yes each UT server can send the files to new players, but if you are playing on a server it is useful not to use the same bandwidth to serve the map files.

User avatar
esnesi
Adept
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: on it!

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by esnesi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:46 am

i remembered i posted on ut-files years ago, with the request to upload my 10GB.

Never got an answer back unfortunatly.
http://forums.ut-files.com/isense-intro ... t2429.html
Thanks for the welcome @hook! ;)

Does anybody know if its still possible to get upload permissions?
I need a new host soon.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by sektor2111 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:41 pm

So, you are not using XC_Engine...

User avatar
Hook
Masterful
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin
Location: Minnesota USA
Contact:

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Hook » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:26 am

iSenSe wrote:i remembered i posted on ut-files years ago, with the request to upload my 10GB.

Never got an answer back unfortunatly.
http://forums.ut-files.com/isense-intro ... t2429.html
Thanks for the welcome @hook! ;)

Does anybody know if its still possible to get upload permissions?
I need a new host soon.
Yes, you should check back at UT-Files again.
Do a few posts about it.
They must have missed it is all. :wink:

You are welcome for my welcome LOL :lol2:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
Active Forums: http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
{CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

User avatar
RetroEpoch
Average
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by RetroEpoch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 am

How is it supposed to be used? :oops:

Aldebaran
Masterful
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Aldebaran » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Captainepoch wrote:How is it supposed to be used?
Try the redirect server of ut-files.com. You can find more info here:
http://news.ut-files.com/redirect/

The unrealkillers redirect seems not to work anymore, if I open the site in browser I get an error message.

User avatar
RetroEpoch
Average
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by RetroEpoch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Aldebaran wrote:
Captainepoch wrote:How is it supposed to be used?
Try the redirect server of ut-files.com. You can find more info here:
http://news.ut-files.com/redirect/

The unrealkillers redirect seems not to work anymore, if I open the site in browser I get an error message.
Oh, I see... But it's only for servers, right?

Aldebaran
Masterful
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Aldebaran » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:03 pm

captainepoch wrote:But it's only for servers, right?
Sure, it should work for LAN servers too I think if clients have internet access.
But if you play on the same computer where you host your game a redirect is not needed.

JackGriffin
Godlike
Posts: 3766
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by JackGriffin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:41 pm

https://www.gamingredirect.com/order/ma ... group_id=1

Just rent a redirect. It's 3 dollars US a month for 10GB. I've used these guys for years and they are always great. No one should use a public redirect any more. It's only going to infuriate you.
So long, and thanks for all the fish

User avatar
Hook
Masterful
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin
Location: Minnesota USA
Contact:

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Hook » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:29 am

captainepoch wrote:How is it supposed to be used? :oops:
UT-Files...
http://forums.ut-files.com
Try it. (post 3 posts there and get access to the Free Redirect and the FTP)
It should be good, as UT-Files has been providing a Very reliable free redirect for the UT Community for many many years and also has just reaffirmed that they are Not going away any time soon!

If you do not get what you need there, then what Kelly (aka JackGriffin) said just above about renting one certainly will work very well also! :tu:

Oh and a redirect is a redirect and works for any server and/or player client with internet access. :wink:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
Active Forums: http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
{CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

User avatar
RetroEpoch
Average
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by RetroEpoch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 am

Aldebaran wrote:
captainepoch wrote:But it's only for servers, right?
Sure, it should work for LAN servers too I think if clients have internet access.
But if you play on the same computer where you host your game a redirect is not needed.
Cool, thank you for the clarification :)

JackGriffin
Godlike
Posts: 3766
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by JackGriffin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:44 pm

The problem with free redirects is that I've never seen them work 100%. The people using them upload everything without concern if there is a mismatch. Unless the host person is watching all the time and researching every conflict there will inevitably be files that don't download. I have conflicts all the time when I upload new maps to my Unreal server/redirect and it's such a pain to figure out. Many times I end up choosing one map or the other because of direct conflict within them. About the only time I think you could use a public redirect is if your server ran either a very brief mod load using popular stuff or you ran totally unique mods.

I do think it's great people offer public usage of redirects though. It just needs to be your last possible choice since you can have your own for less than a cup of coffee a month.
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Post Reply