Coding contest.

Discussions about UT99
UTDeath
Skilled
Personal rank: Tournament Champion.

Re: Coding contest.

Post by UTDeath »

I downloaded the new Titan and it works as a Redeemer replacement.
Just the following stuff:
Why is the ammunition usage so different from primary to secondary fire? (Primary = 01, Secondary = 50).
Why is the Titan so big? It messes things up (too many Titans on a map, too much space in my opinion), changing them to player size (or Skaarj) would make things better.
The size is a problem with secondary fire as well, it won't spawn in tight places.
Making it gib itself after it dies would also help a lot because the corpses both distract and get in the way.
Why are you importing stuff? We are supposed to only use the stuff UT has (coding contest).
Holding primary fire won't keep shooting and clicking it really fast will fire a lot, and the animation doesn't match the time the boulder spawns, perhaps you should speed it up.
Isn't 50 boulders a bit too much?
You cannot kill what is already dead.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Doh. I had an idea tonight, and spend 3 hours fiddling with something I think hasn't been done before with the idea of submitting it for this.
Then I read Page 1 and the requirements. LOL I seem to do things backwards sometimes. (If I make it work, you will see it in another thread...)

Can't wait to try some of this stuff out. Maybe I will get caught up on a few things, and be able to enter Coding Contest #2 when that happens.
blarg
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

UTDeath wrote:I downloaded the new Titan and it works as a Redeemer replacement.
Just the following stuff:
Why is the ammunition usage so different from primary to secondary fire? (Primary = 01, Secondary = 50).
Why is the Titan so big? It messes things up (too many Titans on a map, too much space in my opinion), changing them to player size (or Skaarj) would make things better.
The size is a problem with secondary fire as well, it won't spawn in tight places.
Making it gib itself after it dies would also help a lot because the corpses both distract and get in the way.
Why are you importing stuff? We are supposed to only use the stuff UT has (coding contest).
Holding primary fire won't keep shooting and clicking it really fast will fire a lot, and the animation doesn't match the time the boulder spawns, perhaps you should speed it up.
Isn't 50 boulders a bit too much?
Even if I reduce the Size of the Titan, it will produce Quakes while he is walking. A titan with size of player and producing Quakes while walking?? That doesn't sounds good. :ironic2: For that I will have to create a whole new Scripted Pawn for not producing Quakes.
So I thought that let the size of titan be as it is.

I am importing stuffs for good visual quality. As per for Ammunition I was thinking that Primary Fire should consume 4 ammo and Secondary fire 30 ammo. Let me see what else I can do. Redeemer is a Super weapon in UT and like that the Guardian is a Super Weapon in your Weapon Pack.
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

Is there a way to disable the shakes? I haven't seen much monster code.
I understand that but the whole core of this project was the fact that we were making weapons with only the resources UT offers in a clean install and no added stuff. Perhaps for next challenge or a special edition of the weapons.
And that ammunition usage sounds better :Tu:
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

He just needs to scale the values passed to the Shakeview function by the DrawScale.

i.e. DrawScale 1.0 = normal titan. Drawscale 0.5 = 1/2 size titan. You should be able to adjust the amount of view shaking going on
via the same variable.

Are those numbers hard-coded in the titan source? or are they computed based on mass and other variables you might be able to change?
I forget....
blarg
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

just subclass the titan and remove the shake code.
EDIT: I can not summon the guardian weapon ingame or open the package in ued
Last edited by Rakiayn on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:I have been requestiing-wanting this for a long time.
[...]
I don't know programming well enough or all these would have been done by me years ago.
Sorry Red Fist but this is not "make your wish" but a coding contest ...
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

tested the squidy. nice job ferrali. although the damge seems to be a bit to high.
It would be cool if shooting the altfire on the ground makes you jump like the impcat hammer
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:Squidy
Only one minor Error I did notice in your weapon.
Its position is in third person view backwards.
Shot0008.png
Also the Sushi Gun from Gopo has a delay when ever you switch from this weapon to another do you have to wait nearly half a second. Oh and the bouncy gob is too much a spammer projectile and tear your frame rate down if you shoot more then 3 in front of you.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

OMG! you all have so many issues with the Guardian. But man the word "Titan" means a Great Warrior and also means its Huge and Massive. I got this name "Guardian" from Doom 3 - Guardian Of Hell. The Doom 3 Guardian Of Hell is also big than player in size if you have played that game.

Lowering this Titan's size and disabling the Shakes is ok, but note that this Titan when in Combat situation plays an Anim called Stomp to bounce the player around the map. Disabling the Stomp Codes would make its Anim Useless and he will unnecessarily play that Anim and he will think, "OMG I am too small to bounce the pawns around the map :loool: "

So please I am requesting that let this Titan's size be as its. And this is 3rd time I am Updating my Guardian. So now I will declare this Guardian as Final Release. And Many Bugs has been fixed like:

1. Rapid Primary Fire after every clicks now removed. It will complete its anim then only it will allow to Fire second Projectile.
2. Cannot Switch even when Ammo is 0 and after Primary Fire. Now fixed.

Updates:
Primary Ammo Consumption is 2 now and Secondary Ammo is 30 and Pickup Ammo is also 30. Max ammo of 60.

The Summon commands are the same like before one.
Attachments
UT99OrgMW.zip
(544.06 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

@Rakiayn: Well, the damage is only at its peak when the small squids go all the way up to explode themselves.
If exploded prematurely, their damage is reduced, plus you can explode them right away saving yourself by taking just a little bit of damage.
Furthermore, since it takes its time to reach its peak, the opponent is still able to kill you in that time, thus so far it seems to be a fair trade-off to me.
Each explosion is set to 15 damage at minimum and 70 at max, in comparison the standard UT rockets are set at 75 and their action is immediate.
But either ways, it can be reduced if it still seems too op.

As for the alt-fire, the thing is that it doesn't make much sense to inflict damage in yourself in that way so you can jump like the impact. Take the Executioner from NW3 as an example: the primary mode doesn't impact back, but the secondary does, and for the secondary act like an impact, I had to make it sound somewhat logical "why" it would impact back, hence that charging and hit effects.

Thanks for your feedback :tu:

@Papercoffee: Yeah, yesterday it was about 3:00AM when I posted it up, so I forgot to point out the known issues:
- the third person mode will look inverted. I can't fix that, the problem is the squid orientation. In first person I am able to force it to be in the orientation I want, in the pickup view that's irrelevant, but in the 3rd weapon view I can't change its rotation. It's a small price to pay to make the monster look and behave like a true weapon.
- when a player drops the Squidy (the weapon itself when the player dies or so), sometimes the weapon will look smaller and in a different animation.
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

Rocky, we are not trying to be mean, we just want to take the best out of this :)
I know how I would feel if I made something and people were all like "Why don't you change that?" but this is a team project and such individuality should be left aside.
When I upload whatever weapon I make I will be open for feedback, be it bugs, advice, complaints or suggestions.
About the shakes, if you edit the Titan to make it smaller and stop the shakes then I'm sure you can also stop it from doing the stomp animation :tu:
I was just pointing out what I think would make it a better weapon for the finished product.
Stay cool 8)
I have yet to try the Squidy [I left the computer like five seconds before Ferali posted it :| ].
And I think the damage output is fine since it replaces the Rocket Launcher and if someone knows about weapons that is Feralidragon here.
Now you can take the third person look as the Squidy doesn't want to fall from the player's arm (they are slippery man) and so they turn around to get a hold of the player :)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

papercoffee wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:I have been requestiing-wanting this for a long time.
[...]
I don't know programming well enough or all these would have been done by me years ago.
Sorry Red Fist but this is not "make your wish" but a coding contest ...

Ya ya, but I hope it spurs someone on to make them, it's probably impossible to do anyway in UT.
And if they did it would be the contest winner.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Some of the best fights ever ...Gopo's Sushi Gun and the Squidy ...
You think "HA I GOT HIM FISHED" then you look down and notice the little Squid on your hip "Ah crap!" BOOOM...
Or you are in a In-Fight, and *splurt* there is that damn squid sitting right in your face ... BOOOM

I laughed my ass of.

@Rocky
Is this new version peaceable in a Map? I have a test map where I put all this new weapons in and play some rounds.
But your last version couldn't I put into into it.
papercoffee wrote:
Rakiayn wrote: the wasps attack enemys when they see them.
I will increase the size of the pickup
Ah yes I tested it with a bot ...what an insane fight ...The only way I could get rid of them was Gopostal's Sushi Gun glob.
Maybe you should change the weapon model to the Fly mesh with wasp texture?
What do you think ??
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

no I will keep the mesh as it is now.
the fly mesh is a dragonfly and does not resemnble a wasp so that is kind of weird.
plus we have to use stock textures.