Coding contest.

Discussions about UT99
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Coding contest.

Post by Feralidragon »

@Rocky: UTDeath established the rules, follow them. If your weapon has even 1 non-standard resource it won't be accepted.
If I was able to import anything at all, I would have done a much better weapon too, but that's not the point of this.
Tbh, if we were allowed to import anything, I probably wouldn't even have joined in.

Also, people will always criticize your stuff and report bugs, which is normal and thus you have to deal with it. No one is born a "godlike coder" or anything like that, like everything else in life, things take work and dedication and are the challenges which teach you the most, either if self-imposed or not. So don't make up excuses, just listen to them, decide if you agree or not, and do whatever you find best based on the feedback.
You don't have to follow their advices all the time, but you should at least listen and consider them, as well accept that people will always report back when something doesn't work right in good faith, as they can't guess if you know about it already or not, they're just trying to help you.

@Everyone: Although we're trying to also form a nice pack, iirc this is still somewhat a "contest", right? Personally I don't care much about the "contest" part of it (I just contributed because I found the concept interesting and I would be able to provide something rather quickly), but if Rocky or anyone else wants to have a overpowered weapon, let him be, he's the one loosing points, unless UTDeath adds some rule on the power of the weapon, but that would always be up to interpretation so it's probably not the best thing to do.
You can then form a second pack with just the weapons that you feel like that should be there (thus having a "contest pack" and a "editors choice pack" of sorts).
I would like to see just 1 pack with everything, but there's always the alternative.

@Death Messages: It's possible to "fix". But it demands a small custom separate system to be built to catch those and process them based on damage rather than based on the weapon you're holding. I made exactly that for the final version of my mod. I can perhaps extract it somewhere next week and release it to public (as it will take a while until I release the full thing), so it can be used in this pack.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I took a few days and composed myself. Ferali was right, it's been a hard time for me but it does not give me excuse to act without consideration of others. I'm genuinely sorry for how I responded, especially to you GEx. I hope you accept my apology. I haven't slept much and it made me bitchy. My teeth hurt, I'm going to lose more of them (radiation damage) and it keeps me awake. It's not an excuse my friends, just a reason for my behavior. Life is still quite....challenging.

Please allow me to help anyone that needs it currently. If your weapon has issues you can't fix or work out then mail me and I'll give you a hand. Rocky, don't let the titans get the best of you buddy. Let's talk and you tell me what you want of them and I'll tame the beasts.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Jack I also apologize, for this mess that I started. So what do you say we shake hands and enjoy the contest. Oh and I only now tried the sushigun and it was pure awesomeness! Great work Jack, :gj:

Anyway, since it is a contest (sorta) who wants to be the judge?
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

I understand you Ferali. I am not trying to escape from here in Disguise and neither I am giving any Excuses. But at least accept the Models I am importing. Because what happened to orignal UT Boulder was like its was half torn down like its LOD was either too much less. I tried to increase the LODBias, but that was not working. I thought Drawscale could be the problem, as the Boulder was much Bigger, but still that was not working. So I thought creating a New Model with New Texture would help me and forget the Sounds.

Godlike Coder means you are a Perfect Coder. You can solve anyone's Problems in Matter of seconds and you are an Optimist Person. If I tell you about my Life. I entered into world of Coding this year last 3 months Ago. Till all these years I was a Skilled Player. Then after Looking many new weapons coming out. I finally decided to enter into heart of UT. If peoples think that I was a bit harsh in my Tone then I am sorry. I just want the People to know about my Perfomance.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, you will have to come up with another solution. My Squidy gets rendered backwards in 3rd weapon view and I could also fix it if I managed to export the _d.3d and _a.3d out of it and import back with the right orientation, but the rules are clear and absolutely no exceptions should be made since it wouldn't be fair to the rest, would it?
Spectra
Masterful

Post by Spectra »

Then I will have to delete all the Imported Classes I created. :(
I will have to come back all the way back to previous.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

Feralidragon wrote:Well, you will have to come up with another solution. My Squidy gets rendered backwards in 3rd weapon view and I could also fix it if I managed to export the _d.3d and _a.3d out of it and import back with the right orientation, but the rules are clear and absolutely no exceptions should be made since it wouldn't be fair to the rest, would it?
its not possible to export a 3d mesh right?
I did alot of search online and couldnt find any way, I found some info about a program but it breaks the mesh animation when you export it
Spectra
Masterful

Post by Spectra »

Feralidragon wrote:Well, you will have to come up with another solution. My Squidy gets rendered backwards in 3rd weapon view and I could also fix it if I managed to export the _d.3d and _a.3d out of it and import back with the right orientation, but the rules are clear and absolutely no exceptions should be made since it wouldn't be fair to the rest, would it?
Forget it, there is no other way, other than Exporting and Importing Meshes.
Here, I have deleted every Imported Classes. And used UT items as per the Rules. :wink:

From Readme:

UT99.Org Weapons - Guardian

Weapon Description="Classification: Guardian, A Biotech Weapon that can give birth to Creatures."
Death Message="%o was send to Heaven by %k's %w!"
Pickup Message="You Got the Guardian."
Item Name="Guardian"

Installation:

UT99OrgMW Folder goes to UnrealTournament
UT99OrgMW.u goes to UnrealTournament\System (If already exists, then first Delete the old one and Extract the new one.)
Readme File goes to UnrealTournment\Help (Optional)

Summon Commands:

Weapon: summon UT99OrgMW.Guardian
Ammo: summon UT99OrgMW.GuardianAmmo

Fire Controls:

Primary Fire: Fires a Boulder. It will also Damage the Enemy Titans.

Secondary Fire: Fires a Projectile which will give Birth(Spawn) to a Titan Friend.

The Guardian Titan will have Life Span of 5 minutes. After 5 Mins he will Disappear.

Guardian Titan Health's: 1500
Boulder Damage: 150 (His Boulder may also kill you, so be aware of that)
Slap Damage: 100
Punch Damage: 80

There is a Slight Problem. When the Guardian Titan dies the Screen Shakes. And I tried to find which codes does that. However I am not able to find that. :omfg:
Attachments
UT99OrgMW.zip
(112.41 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Please bare in mind Feralis attitude with this.
If you think of it more as a "Programming Exercise" you will get more out of the experience.
It may be a competition, but there are no prizes.

There is nothing stopping any of you releasing a V2 HD-Redux (or whatever) after the competition.
Keep your skins and extras for later (or build a parallel version).
Skins can be dealt with later by just making a skin-pack for your models.

I actually wanted a rifle that fires the "Firefly", but realised it was not standard :(
Would have made a great wobbly, buzzing, tracer-round :ironic:

I like the idea of the Titan, but maybe it needs to be more scale-able for wide use, so you can have your "Big-Daddy" if you earn it.
I regularly use the "Deathmatch-Titan" in my games, as he is more proactive, and can be a player on a team.
DeathMatchTitan.zip
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
I also have 3 alternative Titans always wandering around. The "Angry Stone Titan" "Tarydium Infested Titan" and "Swamp Titan" by Z-eNzYmE http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2652
:arrow:
Other Pet-mods using standard resources

The UT2004RPG mod gives you 7 standard monsters to control that vary in size depending on your "Monster-whisperer" ability. They simply respond to team-orders.
There is another 2K4 mod "Petz" where you start with a random small monster. You also have a gun that fires Gibs. Your monster eats the gibs and grows bigger.

:idea: The size could be scaled by your health, kill-count, kill-ratio, or awards (like Multi-kill, Godlike, etc.).
Maybe you could charge it up, with the Pulse-gun alt-fire ?
Maybe you could feed it gibs, or it grows by scavenging the gibs and carcases flying around.
Loathsomes RMS mod is a good example of adjusting size and mass of a pawn. There are various mutators that make you grow or shrink. Combine any of these elements to have something more than just spawn a body-guard.
:barf: Ewww! that could add a gory-touch to a map. Battling around a giant un-killable beast that eats the dead competitors, whilst swatting at the competitors like flies on his food.
That would require a new skin. Anyone come across a Zombie-Titan yet?
Actually you could add a "Texture->DetailTexture", on top of the base skin to make it look grimy (check a standard floor texture to see what I mean).
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote: I regularly use the "Deathmatch-Titan" in my games, as he is more proactive, and can be a player on a team.
It not respawn like a bot
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Rocky wrote: Summon Commands:

Weapon: summon UT99OrgMW.Guardian
Ammo: summon UT99OrgMW.GuardianAmmo
Ok how can I put it into the testmap without summoning?
I want to see if this is good replacement of the Redeemer.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

so this contest is nice, but we only have 4 weapons so far.
what do you think about everyone makes one extra weapon so we have 8 weapons?
UTDeath
Skilled
Personal rank: Tournament Champion.

Post by UTDeath »

You need a replacer mutator, pretty easy to do. Perhaps I will show you later.
And yes Rakiayn, that's what I was suggesting :tu:
You cannot kill what is already dead.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

right, didnt see you your message sorry.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Don't count on me to do a second weapon though. Sorry, but the Squidy was my first and last submission to this. Time's a bitch... and I have other projects which were scheduled to be finished months ago...