Halloween is creeping closer

Discussions about UT99
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Halloween is creeping closer

Post by Dr.Flay »

It seems we are having a rise in monster hunt activity, so I thought I may suggest... *Coughs into hand*
This forum is overdue for a Halloween monster pack :satan:

Monsters and nasty biting things can be added to any game-type, so why stick to monster hunt ?
Roaming the land, or swimming in the water, hiding in the caves and trees of the alien planets we play in.
Wild-life or triggered event/booby-trap/easter-egg.

We have crawling things, biting things, blood-sucking and brain-munching things.
We have blood mods and gore mods, and all sorts of reactive odds-and-sods.

:satan: Then we arrange a horror server for halloween week

:confused2: Does this sound like an evil enough plan ?
Ming.jpg
Jetlag
Average
Personal rank: Core Raider

Re: Halloween is creeping closer

Post by Jetlag »

Would love to see a Halloween MonsterHunt map contest.. I don't know if possible though.. But I like your idea Dr.Flay.. Doesn't have to be a contest, maybe just a community MH map pack..
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You mean ... All Hallows’ Eve ...right? :mrgreen:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:You mean ... All Hallows’ Eve ...right? :mrgreen:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I love Halloween! :D
UTDeath
Skilled
Personal rank: Tournament Champion.

Post by UTDeath »

I love Halloween as well Chamberly.
This has my attention and I already have some ideas.
Now I don't have much experience when it comes to maps or monsters but I know some coding from making weapons and I have some above average skills with Photoshop so I can help around with that.
So perhaps I can't make a map or code a monster but I can help with textures and ideas.
I'm already picturing a Halloween version of CTF-Face and some devil like Pupaes.
You cannot kill what is already dead.
Gameite2260
Average

Post by Gameite2260 »

I'm not really one for multiplayer, but I would love the idea of having a gamemode like Betrayal from UT3, but there's only one team, and kills go into the pot from shooting various Unreal I monsters that spawn around the map.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

papercoffee wrote:You mean ... All Hallows’ Eve ...right? :mrgreen:
Or "Samhain" to some of us. The festival of the dead, where we pay tribute to our ancestors.

But for our purposes, the modern Americanised version is more suitable.

Horror comes in many forms, and a map-pack can allow scope for all tastes.
It often works better in SP games, because you can make the player feel more alone.

We can pretty much cover every horror genre going.
Loathsome has even given us bats, if you want to make something gothic or vampire-like.
We have slow and fast moving zombies. Intelligent ones and stupid ones.
Biter-fish make excellent piranha, but they also get over-looked.
We have various alien species, as bots and pawns.
We have reactive decorations, and destructible brushes (thanks Kelly).
there are even mods that make the decorations come to life and hunt you (truly freaky and very paranoia inducing).

We literally now have more gore coming out of our ears, than we know what to do with !
There are mods like "SoulHarvest" where you score by collecting the floating ghost of your opponents (I love this mod as it stops camping, if you want to score.)

We have relics that can be used, like the vampire relic that will lend them-selves to horror.
The power of a relic can be contained in whatever mesh/pickup you want.

Don't be too generous with the weaponry or ammo, so you force people to get up-close and personal.
Even something as basic as starting everyone in an arena with nothing but the Dual-blades from NW3.
We have had the kick, sword and chainsaw in Chaos for a long time, but they never get much use. Even the Grappling hook and Chaos Flak cannon can be used as melee weapons.
These weapons are ideal if you have limited ammo, but need to destroy some of the scenery in order to get to another area.
Or come up against a monster, you fancy a punch-up with.

A map-pack allows the scope for anything you please, whereas all the horror mods out there are always game-types or spawners, so they vary little during play.

I find the swarm zombies great fun in CTF maps, but suit modern real-world or non-alien maps.
With Gopostals Mall-Zombies variation, you can place groups of them where you wish.

The Evil-Dead series happily hopped back and forth through time, giving the freedom to mix zombies, monsters, shotguns and chainsaws (we have all of that).
How about something Jurassic ? The awesome dinosaurs by "Asgard" hardly ever get to play.

There is an alien-mode egg mutator, that lets you seed a map with things that will hatch-out.
The fixed v105 Predator and Spinner pack is also most excellent for adding hatching crawling biting horrors.
There are even scorpions and snakes if you want them.

Ultimately, when you put them into other game-types, they are not the "point" of the game (unless you score kills), they are just there to scare you and make trouble. However certain abilities mean you can "use" them, like the vampire and equilibrium relics.
Or you can just keep them between you and your enemy for a distraction and to "take the flak".

Using portals, you can create something bigger on the inside than the outside. Maybe you want to create an Escher nightmare and have people shooting at shadows and reflections.

:satan:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:I have do here a list of Halloween stuff http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showt ... =Halloween

For the moment http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr is under maintenance but you can download all from http://medor.no-ip.org/
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote:We have slow and fast moving zombies. Intelligent ones and stupid ones.
Huh? where ? ...I do only know the Mr.Loathsome version with better spawn function of those walking corpses.
Dr.Flay wrote:There are mods like "SoulHarvest" where you score by collecting the floating ghost of your opponents (I love this mod as it stops camping, if you want to score.)
Again something I don't know ... Princess Zelda is in danger, send Link!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Slight chance of my contribution in this (if I finish other projects quickly) :agree1:
Oh and yeah I played that soul harvest mutator... so awesome :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I want to make a map for Loathsome's zombies ...something really simple but with a great feeling like the first black and white zombi movies "Night of the living Dead".
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hmm. Black and white or shades of grey would be quite cool.
Frankie has recently tested a zombie horror game in B&W
[youtube]LY1Zx_qvogg[/youtube]
And there is a B&W horror mod for UT2004

Got to track down one of my old MonsterSpawner configs to find the good fast zombies.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I've just noticed that ut99.org started somewhere in 2008. So what I want to say is that if this thing ever starts, it could be released not only for halloween, but also for the sites 5 year anniversary (this or the finish of the monster-gun pack)
What do guys say about it? :idea:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

5 years... actually heading to 6 years already lol
Up until now I didn't notice how so much time have passed, I am still in that state of mind convinced only about 2 or 3 years have passed... :lol2: