Error Messages

Discussions about UT99
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: Error Messages

Post by TheDane »

You have a runaway loop, meaning that in one of the mods there is a loop which iterates through something that never finishes for some how? If the mods Works fine alone in a one-by-one test, then you are dealing with conflicts. It's hard to say what exactly since I don't know all the mods and how they are coded, but it could be some replacement mutators which maybe replace a weapon to it's version, then another does the same, the first mod finds out and change it back, the second mod gets p***** and change it back ... that can cause infinite script recursion and maybe also trigger an infinite loop? maybe if some actor is the base of a loop, then while the loop is running the actor gets replaced and then the loop can't finish? ......... see where I'm going? ... there can be many many Things causing this behaviours :-(
Retired.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

TheDane wrote:You have a runaway loop, meaning that in one of the mods there is a loop which iterates through something that never finishes for some how? If the mods Works fine alone in a one-by-one test, then you are dealing with conflicts. It's hard to say what exactly since I don't know all the mods and how they are coded, but it could be some replacement mutators which maybe replace a weapon to it's version, then another does the same, the first mod finds out and change it back, the second mod gets p***** and change it back ... that can cause infinite script recursion and maybe also trigger an infinite loop? maybe if some actor is the base of a loop, then while the loop is running the actor gets replaced and then the loop can't finish? ......... see where I'm going? ... there can be many many Things causing this behaviours :-(
Enhanced-Items from Wormbo replace the UT weapons with fixed versions also the Relics ...but first what I noticed is that the translocator is not longer drawable by key-binding. I will disable this mutator for now and see if those errors continue to appear.

Thanks for the quick reply.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Rather like I started this thread. Now if only everyone with error messages posted to here, rather than start new threads each time.

I can dream.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:Rather like I started this thread. Now if only everyone with error messages posted to here, rather than start new threads each time.

I can dream.
:ironic2: I don't get what you want.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: :ironic2: I don't get what you want.
Just that since I made this thread there were 2 other threads started about error messages, that they wanted to know about just 1 message each, and then the thread was over.
Just saying.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:
papercoffee wrote: :ironic2: I don't get what you want.
Just that since I made this thread there were 2 other threads started about error messages, that they wanted to know about just 1 message each, and then the thread was over.
Just saying.
Ah ok "those" threads ...well ... you can't force the people to write their problems just into a single thread.

Oh wait ...I can.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Moving right along...
...what happened here?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Need another translation:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You crashed when taking a screenie? I know you don't want to hear this but it's time for a reinstall. Here's a bit of advice: install twice. Use the first one for everything, keep the second unused (after you setup the game's ini files but don't add mods). When you get these sort of errors copy EVERYTHING from the unused install and overwrite the files in your corrupted play install. 4 out of 5 times this will fix whatever is wrong. Unreal has a tendency to corrupt itself over time so having a fresh set of default files can get you back in no time without having to dump any added stuff.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Apparently spawning a decal in a surface with BSP errores will cause this.
The fact I edited said map makes it funnier.

Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Woah.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

Most error messages I get start with or contain "FFrame::Serialize" and "FCollisionHash::ActorLineCheck" and are probably caused by custom content conflicting with each other when they're placed all in one match (I hope).

But one thing I do not grasp and tolerate is besides those crashes I also often get sudden permanent freezes (where terminating ut99 through the taskmgr is the only way out) and these freezes did not occur when I played ut99 without monsters and EXU or NWIII.

Perhaps the latter 2 mods are conflicting with eachother and crashing is not the only thing the unreal engine likes to do when **** gets too rough.
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

Good ol' Unreal Engine 1 and its cryptic error messages.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:You crashed when taking a screenie? I know you don't want to hear this but it's time for a reinstall. Here's a bit of advice
I'm hesitant as a rule to reinstall over a little thing, only if UT stopped working altogether would I go there. Most error messages confound me, hence this thread...

...although your advice was acted upon, for other reasons, in 2011. When I humored the idea of hosting games, Hermskii suggested I make a fresh install for that. So I've 2 UT99's on my system, my original install from when the game came out, and the one that i posted said error message from.

Near as i can tell the only thing different when I launched UT again after that last error, my brightness settings were cranked to maximum. Easy fix.
heliumcat wrote:But one thing I do not grasp and tolerate is besides those crashes I also often get sudden permanent freezes
I get that from time to time, last time was 3 months back. Aggravating as Hell to get out of, usually have to reboot the computer... though I've found a few times if I kick back and wait it actually "exits" out of the game by itself.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You could literally create a batch file that overwrites the core UT files every single evening and it will never affect your game, it will only prevent corrupted files from giving you issues. You are going to find that UT loves to throw weird errors that don't make sense and you'll chase your tail trying to figure it out. Maybe you'll get an answer, maybe you won't but at the end of the day I just want it fixed so I can go back to doing what I was doing. In-place overwrites accomplish this easily.
So long, and thanks for all the fish