Can't say I dig EXU very much.

Discussions about UT99
Red_Fist
Godlike

Can't say I dig EXU very much.

Post by Red_Fist »

Still haven't really played since the versions keep getting changed and scrambled, and that other version G49 or whatever it is called.
I dunno just seems like a lot of work going to waste, it's more silly than insane.

We just get to a point of 1,000,000 hit points and guns that give 999,999 damage per bullet, or whatever the projectiles are called.
Don't go for satanic crap.
Lava that is water

Just not my cup of tea I guess.
It would be nice if they made regular looking all new maps not from UT and tone it down like 75% back to sanity.
Can't figure out if EXU is meaning the maps, or just mods with screwed up Unreal maps.

I was shooting a skaarj directly close up with the old minigun, it didn't seem to affect them or I would have died, but the secondary was giving me way too much self damage as the skaarj had me crushed into a corner.

Nice try, but it could really be much better, and the use of the effects to make new non satanic new maps.
So far I give it a 2 out of 10
All you ever need is that one red hand machine gun with the scope, was playing on Loaths server, so I don't know if those guns are a part of EXU or some other mod.

It's perfectly fine if you want to flame me (disagree ) over my opinion, but the forum will get T'd off long before I ever do.
Rock on !
Binary Space Partitioning
UT99.org

Re: Can't say I dig EXU very much.

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:You really not respect his work.
I think you exaggerates.

Maybe you have a conflict with the creator ?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, I never played EXU, but from what I saw so far (from the screens and videos) it's really meant to be over the top nonsensical mayhem and is really original at it imo.
Of course, not everyone will like it, but it's conceptually different from everything else out there and seems to have a lot of work put into it, and that by itself is worth of praise imo, but then again it's so extreme that it's of course bound to split people's opinions in 2 extreme opposites, the ones who love it and the ones who hate it.

If you have constructive criticism to give to the author, perhaps you could head to unrealsp.org and make a post on what you think that should be improved in your opinion.
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

I guess unreal communities got a "balance" crew and an "over-the-top" crew what concerns mods.

Most people here belong to the latter, including me.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I wouldn't say it is one extreme crowd or not, it's like it's more effects than effective.

Also to the Nali 3 Weapon thing, Feralidragon said it pretty good on one of his posts. But it IS hard to make something that has enough difference to be worth having it. But then if those weapons are too powerful it goes too far the other way.

Like comparing a total spam crap no lighting MH map, to a story line awesome map that has you trying to figure, "go to the airtube on deck B that can be accessed from tunnel A after you turn off the valve in the disposal room once you find the key for the captains room just above deck C, meet the azzerrtty and talk to espotrotyupouty from the aliens of planet zerockusure". WTF LoL.

So if they used the mod stuff here, drop the lava,satan,dark, overkill hitpoints, and incorporated it into a more realistic setting, the whole thing could be a pretty big hit. Satan needs a vacation from fire and lava.(and pentagrams)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The full standalone EXU is a fantasy game where the idea is to go into Nali-Hell, find the Nali-Devil and kill him.
(No idea why some people have a problem with killing the Devil and his demons)

If you removed the "satanic" content, it would be just another generic "bug-hunt".
Any maps from the game, will obviously inherit the "kill Satan" vibe.

Monster Hunt servers tend to all opt for insane weapons with mega-damage, that will be why EXU weapons and maps get used. Remove them and the admin will just use some other over-powered crazy-kill-o-zap gun instead.
This is why I don't play much MH. They are often just a spam-fest, and you never get time to actually enjoy the map, or ever worry about losing a life or running out of ammo.

Try playing the actual full EXU SP game instead of MH.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ahh, well I wasn't comparing to MH, but you are correct, "crazy-kill-o-zap gun " lol.

Face it, EXU needs a heaven, dang evil doers anyway.
Besides God is the one to finalize that devil creeps demise.

I didn't really like Quake 1 for that either, that pentagram gave you invincibility, the whole game was more or less demonic.
But here, the mod part could be used to make a better than Unreal thing, effects, and so on.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am starting to think it's loaths server and the mods, the AK one. I got to download this the newest one and play it offline is all there is to it. Just way to much going on there, if you like over-the-top just go on loaths server LoL he aims to please.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Red_Fist wrote:I am starting to think it's loaths server and the mods, the AK one. I got to download this the newest one and play it offline is all there is to it. Just way to much going on there, if you like over-the-top just go on loaths server LoL he aims to please.
Felt like I should jump in here for some reason.... :mrgreen:
*Read Dr.Flays post above for the short version. He hit the nail on the head. I am too damn lazy to quote him however. :what:

I have played EXU quite a lot in the past. (Been a few months since I played any UT at all atm. Seem to be taking a break...)

You MUST play EXU offline in SP mode before you can appreciate how great it is.
Ideally you should also be very familiar with playing either the original Unreal Mission & UTLNP maps in SP mode.
Remember to save your game OFTEN.

The work that Waff and UArchitect and the crew have done on this thing was already quite impressive in Demo4
when I last looked at it close. And I did briefly test out offline one of the newer releases that had the new gore
system and the kickable gibs. Very nice stuff. And a LOT of work.

Do NOT judge EXU by playing on either of my coop servers. :evil:

The experience playing the maps in coop mode is considerably different than in SinglePlayer mode.
Particularly on the AKcoop/Ecoop server. (Jets, extra guns, rebels, TNT, etc. Too much of everything.(?or perhaps not enough))

My other server still runs the same Ecoop controller, but the settings are such that you can play 550+ maps much closer
to the way the authors intended for them to work with the original oldskool coopgame2.
(i.e. very minimal extra stuff compared to the over the top AKcoop server. You find what the map author had there.)

If you play the levels on the Oldskool/Ecoop server your experience will be much closer to what you would get if you ran the
EXU2BI.EXU2CoopGame2 gametype that is included with EXU for coop servers.
(Which is still a LOT different than SP mode, which you NEED to do before playing it online.)

Both of my servers are running the custom Ecoop gametype that AFcore wrote up a number of years ago. Before EXU even.
AFcore did an amazing bit of work with that thing.

You should also note that the maps currently on my servers are NOT the most recent EXU2 release. They are from Demo4 I believe.

Have been sort of waiting for a while for the next major release of EXU2 before I update things.
Was actually running a dedicated server here that was using the EXU2BI.EXU2CoopGame2 gametype for almost a year, and hope to update it
and plug it back in for a while if/when that all happens.

Post back after you play thru at least the 1st 5 maps in SP mode. And let us know which version you are running.

Note, although I know why some might be offended by the "Satanic" theme to EXU, I don't understand why. :loool:

Would maps that had a Christian/Jewish/Buddhist theme to the decos etc offend you also?

That's just the theme that Waffnufly selected for this project. And implemented very well I might add. :tu: :satan: :evil:
blarg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ahh I see.

Then I will have to get the latest and play offline.
It is really hard to tell how much the server is doing when I never played the regular way.
glad you chimed in,cuz it was just killin on me aaaarg.

According to Waff he said to trash all the old stuff, your server is corrupting me LoL

Well it's not so much being satanic, it just gets to be too much fire lava pentagram, repeat.
They should throw in a little Nail heaven areas, blue sky, puffy clouds, and NOT friggen cold outside, lake effect snow tomorrow here.

Hope yall have a good Thanksgiving day folks.