How to set up Redirect.

Discussions about UT99
VRN|C-18
Skilled

How to set up Redirect.

Post by VRN|C-18 »

Hey folks!
This is a tutorial on Redirect, sorry for my bad english :lol: .

What is Redirect?

The Redirect gives players that connect to your server the possibility to get all files that are required for the map that is contemporary online faster than they would in case of a download directly from the server. Therefore they are redirected to a redirect-server, which usually is a public redirect service of your server provider. Their UTclient automatically downloads .UZ packages from that server and unpacks them, automatically also, in their local UTdirectory.
Usually you will notice that a server makes use of (public) redirect if you are connected to the server after 25-50% (rarely up to 70%) of download.
Thats how you can check if the redirect works after you have set it up like following:

How to set up redirect?

First of all you need a public redirect service. Some admins might not share my assumption.. however i recommend http://www.gameservers.net
Youre most likely to find a host of other redirect providers via google.
Anyway lets stigg with http://www.gameservers.net for this tutorial.
After you selected your redirect service provider you gotta get two important applications.
RSC and a FileTransferProtocoll - short: FTP-Client.
Run RSC.. it is very easy to use and you wont face any difficulties with it.
After you have packed the all of those files you open your FTPclient and log in with the login data for public redirect. In this case it is:
IP: redirect.gameservers.net
name: upload
login/password: upload
Unlike maps/music/sounds/system/textures you will not find any specified folders for the .uz files on the redirect. Just upload the whole "shit" into the folder that your redirect service provider has arranged for unrealtournament.
Now the last but most important step in the redirect setup.
go to the UnrealTournament.ini file your server runs with and edit these lines like following:

Code: Select all

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=False
MaxDownloadSize=0
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
AllowDownloads=False ONLY if you totally rely on the redirect service.. however if it is down once and you have set AllowDownloads to False noone will be able to connect to your server.
My recommendation is to leave it with True, also exclue the line MaxDownloadSize=0 or to whatever you like to set it.. i assume theres not much i can say about that line. The other lines however are obligatory.

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://uz.gameservers.net/
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True
this part is self explanatory i guess.

now fire up your UT server.
youll probably find more professional tutorials on other sites.. however i felt like writin an own one instead of just randomly postin a link or even steal a tutorial. i hope you liked it tho (sorry for my bad english again :?)
peace
MaZ
Last edited by VRN|C-18 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needle + UT + Sex = Life and some Blood -_-
banner made by myth 8)
what the fuck.. september11 woke me up.
Dare
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 God

Post by Dare »

Oh God! I'm not even gonna bother reading all that.
VRN|C-18
Skilled

Post by VRN|C-18 »

maybe you wouldnt bother settin up a redirect either.. xDxD
Needle + UT + Sex = Life and some Blood -_-
banner made by myth 8)
what the fuck.. september11 woke me up.
Dare
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 God

Post by Dare »

I might if I owned a server, our server is already on redierect anyways 8)
(xtc)
Novice

Re: How to set up Redirect.

Post by (xtc) »

VRN|C-18 wrote:Hey folks!
This is a tutorial on Redirect, sorry for my bad english :lol: .

What is Redirect?

The Redirect gives players that connect to your server the possibility to get all files that are required for the map that is contemporary online faster than they would in case of a download directly from the server. Therefore they are redirected to a redirect-server, which usually is a public redirect service of your server provider. Their UTclient automatically downloads .UZ packages from that server and unpacks them, automatically also, in their local UTdirectory.
Usually you will notice that a server makes use of (public) redirect if you are connected to the server after 25-50% (rarely up to 70%) of download.
Thats how you can check if the redirect works after you have set it up like following:

How to set up redirect?

First of all you need a public redirect service. Some admins might not share my assumption.. however i recommend http://www.gameservers.net
Youre most likely to find a host of other redirect providers via google.
Anyway lets stigg with http://www.gameservers.net for this tutorial.
After you selected your redirect service provider you gotta get two important applications.
RSC and a FileTransferProtocoll - short: FTP-Client.
Run RSC.. it is very easy to use and you wont face any difficulties with it.
After you have packed the all of those files you open your FTPclient and log in with the login data for public redirect. In this case it is:
IP: redirect.gameservers.net
name: upload
login/password: upload
Unlike maps/music/sounds/system/textures you will not find any specified folders for the .uz files on the redirect. Just upload the whole "shit" into the folder that your redirect service provider has arranged for unrealtournament.
Now the last but most important step in the redirect setup.
go to the UnrealTournament.ini file your server runs with and edit these lines like following:

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=False
MaxDownloadSize=0
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
AllowDownloads=False ONLY if you totally rely on the redirect service.. however if it is down once and you have set AllowDownloads to False noone will be able to connect to your server.
My recommendation is to leave it with True, also exclue the line MaxDownloadSize=0 or to whatever you like to set it.. i assume theres not much i can say about that line. The other lines however are obligatory.

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://uz.gameservers.net/
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True
this part is self explanatory i guess.

now fire up your UT server.
youll probably find more professional tutorials on other sites.. however i felt like writin an own one instead of just randomly postin a link or even steal a tutorial. i hope you liked it tho (sorry for my bad english again :?)
peace
MaZ

elo :)
i am a ut veteran from buf,smo and excalibur-holland.nice to see a new ut website finally.
gj and tnx for that.
yep.this is a thing i really was looking for.will try it later.
i once tried to run a dsl server for the ut-onslaught mod by blackcheetah
and tried to configure redirect.but failed. :(
i hope i get this managed now.