looking for a mod that make PNG screenshots.

Discussions about UT99
n0mad
Novice

looking for a mod that make PNG screenshots.

Post by n0mad »

not bmp.

is there such mod?

i think i have seen such tool in the past, never tried it, but i remember see it.

thank all for helping.
UT99.org

Re: looking for a mod that make PNG screenshots.

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:UTScreenCaptureConverter http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... ?f=11&t=15
n0mad
Novice

Post by n0mad »

THANK YOU!
:O)
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Be aware, if you use that, make sure you have the default image in there for the default files (any other files that aren't named sshot) or for example... can't open uED... that happened to me lol.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

It probably converted the UEd splash logo by mistake since it's located at the system folder (happened to me once :mrgreen: )
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Yep. So instead of using that, I use this nice tool called XnShell (Thanks to Higor for sharing this with me,) it let me select any file and convert it to any type. & I absolutely love it!

edit: I pick this one out of what anyone else has said in this thread. Here is the reason why:
You can select any images you want to convert to png or else. Good thing is, your original image will be there, and not changed (just incase something happened to converted ones - lost, missing, or bad image quality that differ from any product). When you convert them, they will be at the file where you had the original. You can move it or whatever you want with them.
I've been using this and it help a lot for my connection, converting to png will make it faster for me to upload the files (and store good images in my hard drive space instead of storing the ones that take a lot of space.)
& Again, this software is FREE. No need to use steam's where you have to pick any selected files to save (it is in your hard drive, regardless of what you are going to upload... but I forgot how they would save it, probably .jpg or so.)
:loool:
Last edited by Chamberly on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

One word: Steam. Either rebuy UT and Unreal for that platform or Add A Non-Steam Game and run Unreal / Unreal Tournament via Steam. Steam's screenshot grabber captures screens in ANY resolution without corrupting and it saves them as .png.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Personally I take screenshots in standard .bmp and then convert the ones I want to keep, to post later, to .png, which I think is the simpler way to go.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:Personally I take screenshots in standard .bmp and then convert the ones I want to keep, to post later, to .png, which I think is the simpler way to go.
^This

If you want to convert it can you use Irfanview.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:Personally I take screenshots in standard .bmp and then convert the ones I want to keep, to post later, to .png, which I think is the simpler way to go.
^This

If you want to convert it can you use Irfanview.
yup easy as pie..

why PNG though?.. afaik .png's are best used when trying to display cutout's ie; player cut out. .jpg would be better option for fullscreen shots?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Wises wrote:why PNG though?.. afaik .png's are best used when trying to display cutout's ie; player cut out. .jpg would be better option for fullscreen shots?
Most converters blur red in .jpg files.

.png is less than .bmp in size but just as clear.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: .png is less than .bmp in size but just as clear.
It's even clearer than any other picture file for the web.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

There's a huge misconception about JPG though: although it's a lossy compressed file, many image editors can save it as a lossless compressed file as well (it gets bigger, but most of the time still smaller than PNG and full quality).
Do not forget that PNG saves the alpha channel, even if the image doesn't have transparency at all, that's generally the real criteria between saving as PNG or JPG (for reference, Google saves every image with transparency as PNG, and every fully opaque ones as lossless or with only slightly lossy JPG).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:There's a huge misconception about JPG though: although it's a lossy compressed file, many image editors can save it as a lossless compressed file as well (it gets bigger, but most of the time still smaller than PNG and full quality).
Do not forget that PNG saves the alpha channel, even if the image doesn't have transparency at all, that's generally the real criteria between saving as PNG or JPG (for reference, Google saves every image with transparency as PNG, and every fully opaque ones as lossless or with only slightly lossy JPG).
It's not a misconception ...I know what a lossles JPG is capable to.
JPG can get even bigger and clearer when you increase the DPI ...on 300 dpi will it be print quality.
But it will also get bigger on MB.

Still, PNG is for me my favorite file format because of the smooth transparency, the 24 bit mode and for the Animated PNG
Spoiler
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Don't get me wrong, I also love the PNG format (if you didn't notice, every image I have ever posted is in PNG), the thing is, sometimes is just not the best format for the ideal quality vs size ratio you want to achieve (which when hosting or using a paid cdn matters a lot). The thing is, many image editors are faulty in saving JPG, and only some allow 100% quality and still optimized (GIMP does it, I think Photoshop can do that as well).

Anyway, as for APNG, the only with it is that many browsers to not support it unfortunately, since it didn't become mainstream enough yet (people still use GIF for everything).