Some help with Unreal Tournament Bots

Discussions about UT99
Emperor
Average
Personal rank: Rtma Eros Paragon

Some help with Unreal Tournament Bots

Post by Emperor »

I'd like some help with improving my Unreal Tournament experience, when I play with bots, which is all the time, they're rather disappointing to the degree that they don't 'see' you but rather react to you when someone opens fire or bumps into one another, is their a way to make the bots more alert to the point when they see you, they react? cause at the moment, CTF the defending bots stare blindly into the distance while other bots run in and past them, grab the flag and flak off, sometimes they turn to engage but without some stimuli Objective game-types are underwhelming, but when they do react, all hell breaks loose, it is exhilarating, I want that, can you help me please? x3
Last edited by Emperor on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Some help with Unreal Tournament Bots

Post by papercoffee »

Here also ...please edit your post color.
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

papercoffee wrote:Here also ...please edit your post color.
Sorry, Guess I cannot personalize it like Steam Forums. :/

:barf: :ironic2:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

You can make individual settings for a list of bots in the menus before you run the maps.
You can set if they are more alert, and a number of settings, so you could have bots that shoot and never miss, others that will be aggressive, others to do other things better, unlike a straight god difficulty on all at once.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Emperor wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Here also ...please edit your post color.
Sorry, Guess I cannot personalize it like Steam Forums. :/

:barf: :ironic2:
Well ...we are not Steam Forums but I guess we can maybe help you better then them. :wink:

Ok ...sounds like you have the difficulty on the bots set to low.
When you choose your maps for a offline play there is a tab for the bots.
Which base-skill is set up?
base-skill1.png
base-skill1.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

The level set for the overall game skill is one thing, but if you want to really up your ante in bot skill you need to customize them individually.

From the worst:

To the best:

Or if you wanna go more basic, that one skill setting of alertness is a good place to start.

Though I don't use it, you might take a look at this project · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3805
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ya those settings.

Keep in mind that some maps have quirky bot problems, even if they are bot pathed to perfection.
Binary Space Partitioning
Archon
Novice

Post by Archon »

Hey how is everyone!

Here is a mod I quickly cooked up for UT99 to make the bots a bit more challenging as I mostly play UT99 offline. Basically it allows the bots to spot another player at infinite distance. There is also a slight chance of a bot spotting a player behind them at any distance (which means that they cheat a little bit but I had trouble making bots turn and look around while running). Bots also spot and shoot down redeemer missiles (I don't think that they really targeted them before as far as I know). Should work with most mutators and game types. The code sorta takes into account the bot skill settings though I admit the mutator could be coded better but perhaps it can help.

Archon
Attachments
TWFSightRadius_V1.rar
Version 1
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

I'm playing on Masterful skill and up depending on how I like to play, I should also mention I use Xbots to have such a nice variety of bots, the problem isn't that they aren't good enough, I suppose they can always be better, it's the fact they navigate without reacting to you unless someone opens fire or someone bumps into a enemy bot or you then react, despite the settings, I just want them to react to you when they suppose to 'see' you and respond like any other player then certain stimuli.

From above, I mean I cannot use colour font unless it's to emphasize something... Thanks for helping btw, I'm gonna try that Mod and see how things turn out.

*Edit* It works, The bots are more responsive, Objective gametypes are more Fun and Challenging now the bots fight back, defend etc. Thank you sooo much, You've revitalized the game for me. :3 Now If I can only use FerBotz without the Engine Crashing/Use Custom Weapons. >.-.>

I'd like to report a bug, the bots sometimes auto suicide and sometimes multiple times in a row from first suicide.

:gj:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

That's weird.
Emperor wrote:I'd like to report a bug, the bots sometimes auto suicide and sometimes multiple times in a row from first suicide.
Are they doing it on one particular map or just on any map? Might be more about the location, some BSP hole thingamabob.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

EvilGrins wrote:That's weird.
Emperor wrote:I'd like to report a bug, the bots sometimes auto suicide and sometimes multiple times in a row from first suicide.
Are they doing it on one particular map or just on any map? Might be more about the location, some BSP hole thingamabob.
Oh no, not BSP, I recall one map that had one. -.=.- but it's just I don't know the particular circumstances, but just sometimes they either auto suicide like if you hit a bind key to kill yourself while running about or they do it when they're dead, so and so killed such and such then it might go so and so killed their own dumb self up to 3 times before re-spawning, it's odd, mostly noticed on CTF enjoying the bots actually sniping from their defense points. ^.-.^ also noticed one perticular Assult match on Frigate when the match was switching team roles the bots were navigating around before the match even started, I view teammates and yeah, so I used Xmaps to remove all and readd after match start and was fine.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

LoathsomesBotPack Mutators
Includes XBots9b with support for up to 320 bot configurations and a stand-alone version of the AdjustoBots mutator.
http://www.ecoop.tk/load/loathsomesbotp ... s/1-1-0-13

The BotOrders Mutator
Fixes issues with default UT bot orders in team games.
http://www.ecoop.tk/load/the_botorders_mutator/1-1-0-15
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

I've tried a few maps and the ones that seem to have a tendency to multiple suicides during death is ones with large environmental hazards, CTF- Face was one, CTF-Kosov another and DM-3rdspacebeacon, Notibally, hope that helps, had one bot constantly killing himself while dead like 20 times defending on FTC-Face before he re-spawned. -.=.-
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Emperor wrote:
I've tried a few maps and the ones that seem to have a tendency to multiple suicides during death is ones with large environmental hazards, CTF- Face was one, CTF-Kosov another and DM-3rdspacebeacon, Notibally, hope that helps, had one bot constantly killing himself while dead like 20 times defending on FTC-Face before he re-spawned. -.=.-
Now ...this is really odd. :shock:

Maybe should you PM Archon about the bug ...it seems he wasn't online since his last post here.
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

papercoffee wrote: Now ...this is really odd. :shock:

Maybe should you PM Archon about the bug ...it seems he wasn't online since his last post here.
I have but no response, Seems like also if a bot dies in a kill zone like that at the bottom of DM-Pyramid and DM-Spacenoxx they perform multiple suicides while dead, ruining the score in TDM.