UT runs to fast on i7 chip

Discussions about UT99
babbo45
Novice

UT runs to fast on i7 chip

Post by babbo45 »

Hi. I am trying to run UT99 on an Intel i7 cpu machine but it runs too fast, is there anyway of slowing it down as I have set game speed to the minimum of 50% and it still is blisteringly fast. I also have a problem with editing the ini file as when it is displayed in notepad it has all the coding showing with just sections of text with all the commands in a block.
Thanks.
Babbo45.

I finally managed to get the ini file as shown but now it won't let me save the edited portions of it?
Hitman
Adept

Re: UT runs to fast on i7 chip

Post by Hitman »

What OS do you use ? If windows, then Notepad is what most ppl use.

UT has a built-in flag you can use to tell it the CPUs clock speed if it doesn't detect the speed correctly (it shows the detected speed in UT.log). Create a shortcut to UnrealTournament.exe and add ' -cpuspeed=X' to the end - without the quotes, and replacing X with you CPUs clock speed in Mhz. Or try to is to disable the CPU's power saving features before running UT. There are a number of ways to go about this depending on which operating system you use but I guess Win7 or 8 so go
to Control Panel > Power Options and select the 'High Performance' profile.
babbo45
Novice

Post by babbo45 »

Hi Hitman.
Thanks for the speedy reply. The OS is Windows 8.1 I have had some success by running UT in direct 3d support but it is jerky and gets a bit annoying after a while. I have been using notepad to edit the ini file but it wont let me save the changes. I'll give the multi-core-patch medor pointed me to a try and see if that will help.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Did you install UT to some place (like Program Files) that requires elevated rights to save files? You definitely should update to OpenGL or alt least Direct3D9 if you're running UT under Windows 8.
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

I think you should try updating your video renders like Raynor suggested.
Here is the link to raynor's guide:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373

look for Part Three System Updates and New OpenGL Renderer

After you update it look in your unrealtournament.ini and find [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] or [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice] depending on what you chose and set FrameRateLimit=200. You can set the value to whatever you like as long as you limit it, if you don't you end up getting over 1000 and that is what cause the speed ups.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

To be precise, problems start to happen when framerate exceeds 200 :)
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

babbo45
Novice

Post by babbo45 »

Hi and thanks to you all especially Raynor for all the help. I have been with my family today (boxing day) so have only just come back on line. Anyway I did install UT to Program Files as I have always done from Windows 3.1 onward. I will now try the suggestions and get back to you as soon as I have something to report.
Thanks again and remember to live life to the full as time is fleeting.
Babbo45
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Windows Vista and above will protect anything in the Program Files folder, so you will have to "run as Administrator", or edit the file somewhere else and copy it back to the UT folder.
Personally I only install things to the standard folder that are system support or addons.
Everything else is installed to a separate Programs D: partition or drive, so I can quick format the System C: drive whenever I need.

Lock your power profile to maximum during install, because the installation will not use much CPU power, and during this phase UT makes a note of how fast the CPU is.
After that point, Balanced power should be fine.
babbo45
Novice

Post by babbo45 »

Hi Y'all. Thanks for the excellent input regarding the i7 chip problem. I ended up re-installing UT in the root C: of my PC and used the suggestions from you all and - yes - it is running well and at a rate I can control most of the time. But (there's always a but) during game play the walking and firing speed jumps from slow, on both, to blisteringly fast? I have found by using practice mode that when I move on to the next game it usually starts off stable for a while then again speeds up till the bot is racing around the screen and usually falling over the precipice. Any ideas as to how to control/stop this happening will be gratefully received. Take care. babbo45.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Hi!

It would help if you tell exactly what have you tried so far.

Did you download latest OpenGL and enabled it? (http://www.ut99.org/download/file.php?id=2637)
Did you limit your framerate (FrameRateLimit=62 under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] )?
Did you try multi-core fix? (http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/releas ... 36-1.0.zip)
babbo45
Novice

Post by babbo45 »

Hi again.
Yes I did download and install the latest OpenGL and set the frame rate to = 62. In fact I used all your tips and editing tricks and I used the UT patch436noDelta as per instructions, I take it that this is the same patch as in today's reply? Using the in game settings I even tried upping the frame rate to 200 and have now lowered it back to 62. I had to lower the mouse speed from the game preferences as even that was blistering up till I did that. I then lowered the game speed to 80% in preferences even after using all the patches as suggested. The game is playable but still a bit erratic as I said in my last message. Anyway thanks for the speedy reply and if you can think of anything else I can do it will be gratefully received.
Thanks. babbo45
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

UT patch 436 isn't the same thing as multi-core fix. First one is official game patch from Epic, multi-core fix is made by 3rd party.
Have you also tried that?
In some unfortunate cases (that more likely applies for systems with AMD CPUs and laptop computers) you need to disable AMD Cool'n'Quiet, Intel SpeedStep or C1E features from system BIOS to maintain smooth gameplay (where game does not exceed normal framerates so it will run at hectic and inconstant speeds).
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Have you set the Windows power profile to Max performance before install ?
You should have the profile set for maximum performance when plugged into the mains anyway.
Balanced profile is intended to keep the PC cool by changing speeds frequently.