Map Installing

Discussions about UT99
ASLY

Map Installing

Post by ASLY »

What do you think guys what happen if I install a lot DeathMatch map to my UT?
UT Can load that many map? That's only DeathMatch maps, I want to install later more maps

DeathMatch Maps
Raynor
Adept

Re: Map Installing

Post by Raynor »

I don't know if UT has absolute limit for number of installed maps.
But things get noticeably slower in game menus when you have large number of maps installed while UT enumerates them. If you have SSD then it shouldn't have much effect.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Yes that's what I mean, the stupid limit
I remember there was the same problem with the Skins/Player Setup but I already fix it with Marginally Enhanced UT
Now I have 3251 map in UT and just a bit slow the game menu, when I go to Practice Session and maps loading
That's the same about the Skins, but I don't care if this slow, just work!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ASLYE702 wrote:3251 map in UT
Holy Carp!! That's huge amount of maps. :shock:

I have only 125 maps
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

I don't think there is any hard coded limit however the map scanning functions still produce the "10000000 iterations reached" crashes, I've had it happen when I had all the maps loaded and tried to play some gametype which supports all map types (like Rocket Arena All Maps).

I haven't checked in a while but I think I have about 4500 maps, opening the menus takes AGES so normally I start a match with a keybind and use either the XMaps mutator or console commands to move to other maps/gametypes. If you have that many maps you should really split them up in different folders so that you can toggle the useless ones (I've got a "good maps" folder which has about 1000 maps across all gametypes, normally it's the only one I keep active, DM practice menu still takes a lot of time though...).
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:3251 map in UT
Holy Carp!! That's huge amount of maps. :shock:
I have only 125 maps
Last I checked I had over 200 deathmatch maps, and I've got a lot of the other gametypes too.

Think I'm going to need to do a recount when i get home.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Hello, I have 3,580 maps in my UT Map's file (the one I usually play with, didn't include any other maps I have throughout my computer. There may be more tho.) and it does take a long time to load the menu. So what I do is, load up the menu 1 time, pick whatever mutators I need or so, then when I want to switch map (from my UT's map folder), I can just click on the map name, and it auto switch to the map without changing the mutators or so.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Chamberly wrote:Hello, I have 3,580 maps in my UT Map's file (the one I usually play with, didn't include any other maps I have throughout my computer. There may be more tho.) and it does take a long time to load the menu. So what I do is, load up the menu 1 time, pick whatever mutators I need or so, then when I want to switch map (from my UT's map folder), I can just click on the map name, and it auto switch to the map without changing the mutators or so.
ASLYE702 meant only deathmatch maps.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

No papercoffe, I don't mean DeathMatch maps I have only 1066 DeathMatch map, 3251 Is my total map collection right now
Now guys what do you think? I don't care about the loading takes ages, I have time
So DeathoX there is a limit or not? Can you take a look for this? I'm not a coder so I don't understand where I can find that
I taked a look for something in UnrealED Actor menu, I hoped I find something, but don't
UWindowBase > UWindowList > UWindowListBoxItem > UMenuMapList
I think that's the Map List structure, but there I don't see anything about the limit

Code: Select all

class UMenuMapList expands UWindowListBoxItem;

var string MapName;
var string DisplayName;

function int Compare(UWindowList T, UWindowList B)
{
	if(Caps(UMenuMapList(T).MapName) < Caps(UMenuMapList(B).MapName))
		return -1;

return 1;
}

// Call only on sentinel
function UMenuMapList FindMap(string FindMapName)
{
	local UMenuMapList I;

for(I = UMenuMapList(Next); I != None; I = UMenuMapList(I.Next))
		if(I.MapName ~= FindMapName)
			return I;

return None;
}
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

ASLYE702 wrote:No papercoffe, I don't mean DeathMatch maps I have only 1066 DeathMatch map, 3251 Is my total map collection right now
Now guys what do you think? I don't care about the loading takes ages, I have time
So DeathoX there is a limit or not? Can you take a look for this? I'm not a coder so I don't understand where I can find that
I taked a look for something in UnrealED Actor menu, I hoped I find something, but don't
UWindowBase > UWindowList > UWindowListBoxItem > UMenuMapList
I think that's the Map List structure, but there I don't see anything about the limit
No there isn't any hard coded limit as far as I know, however after reaching amount of maps menus could start crashing since the game would kick in the anti-infinite loops safety crash.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

1,101 maps

I'll pass on breaking that down into categories.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

ASLYE702 wrote:No papercoffe, I don't mean DeathMatch maps I have only 1066 DeathMatch map, 3251 Is my total map collection right now
Your first post talked about DM only ... :noidea
ASLYE702 wrote:What do you think guys what happen if I install a lot DeathMatch map to my UT?
UT Can load that many map? That's only DeathMatch maps, I want to install later more maps

DeathMatch Maps
That's why I thought you only meant DM maps.

My total map-count is 295