Old - New Games Problem

Discussions about UT99
ASLY

Old - New Games Problem

Post by ASLY »

What happen if I install to my PC Win 7 and after I copy to the HDD my UT from my USB?
It's working without any problem, or I need a patch?
I want to tuning my PC and this is one problem, I have some old game and I don't know what happen if I install Win 7 and copy to the HDD my games
UT99, Flatout 2, Worms Armageddon New Edition, Postal 2, PS1 - SNES - SN64 - SEGA Emulator etc
Just thinking what I do if I want to play with old games and new games
Now I using Win Vista Home Premium Edition and old games working fine
New games will run in Win Vista?
Or what do? Set up 2 PC, 1 for old games and the other one for new games?
So I don't know what do, I want to install PS2 - XBox Emulator and much more game have in my list
Please share with me what you think guys
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Old - New Games Problem

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, UT has no problems with that (except the fact that you may need to run "UT registry fix" so UT maps, URL intents and umods work fully as if you installed UT from scratch, but it's not a requirement to be able to play the game itself).

As for the rest, I have no idea tbh.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ASLYE702 wrote: Please share with me what you think guys
I think that Emulators and Roms are not a matter what should be discussed here. :wink:

For the UT problem ...I don't know how Win7 works exactly, but from Win98 to WinXP was it no problem to copy the Game.
But if you also change hardware (like a new CPU), do I recommend a new install of all the games.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

I don't think that there would be any problem with old games installing on a new OS. But I doubt about those Emulators based on their compatibility. Games like Virtual Cop 2 (A game since when Win 98) still runs perfectly on my Win7.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

If game does CD check, it will likely fail if your CD unit isn't D:/.
If game was developed by Electronic Arts, it will fail, reinstall to apply the hidden config that makes it work.
If game uses Directplay for multiplayer, better find something to emulate it or a workaround.
If game is an old Worms (i have WWP), install it on a XP virtual machine, enjoy your windowed mode!
If game is Age of Empires 2, get the userpatch 1.3
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Thanks for the replies guys!

But like I think there is some problem with the old games. :(
I installed Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-2-3, and these games don't work. I tried runing the games with Win XP but still nothing.
So this is sucks, there is no word for that... :D
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Make sure you install the old games with a compatibility option. Do not use the autorun on the CD.
Go into the disc and right-click on the setup or install file.
Select "Troubleshoot compatibility".
When the game is installed try the same thing on the EXE for the installed game.
If you open the properties of the EXE instead, you can specify an older version of Widows to emulate.

If you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can use XP in a virtual box.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... px?id=8002
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... -windows-7