Texture options question

Discussions about UT99
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Texture options question

Post by Torax »

I'd found some information about texture importing into UT, that tells - if imported texture is larger than 256x256, it will be scaled to that size and become more blurry. Otherwise, if it fit defined scale - it will look even better.
I'm a bit confused with this. Or i understood something wrong.
How can larger texture, which was scaled to smaller, looks worst than it was made conversely?
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Higor
Godlike

Re: Texture options question

Post by Higor »

You can use bigger textures, it's just that the old D3D7 renderer will downscale it to 256x256, no issues except package size.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

So i can not worry about this nou and use textures up to 1024x1024?
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Nope, as long as you don't use them as sources for Scripted/Water textures (they won't work due to that 256x256 limitation) it will be fine.
Besides most of the players already wisened up and are using an updated renderer.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

I use Direct3D render device.
Heard about D3D10 but i can't use it - i have Windows XP on both of machines i working with UT
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Hi, if you want to use bigger textures than 512x512 and have better performance/graphic, use OpenGL or Direct3D-9 render :)
UT have build in OpenGL but its seems unfinished and little buggy.

OpenGL for UT: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/utglr36.zip
Direct3D9: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/utd3d9r13.zip

these files needs to be copied to your UT/System folder, overwrite old files if present. cheers :)
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Tnx :highfive:
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

No problem ;p Also as you know, Unreal Editor 2.0 uses software rendering and optionaly - Direct3D (to set in any viewport).
Software is very bad, it is slow, ugly, do not show detail/macro textures etc. Switching to Direct3D is very slow in editor. If you want I can wrote to you how to use openGL in editor almost like in UED2.1 :)
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Radi wrote:No problem ;p Also as you know, Unreal Editor 2.0 uses software rendering and optionaly - Direct3D (to set in any viewport).
Software is very bad, it is slow, ugly, do not show detail/macro textures etc. Switching to Direct3D is very slow in editor. If you want I can wrote to you how to use openGL in editor almost like in UED2.1 :)
I will be grateful :mrgreen:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Those renderers are also old and no longer developed.
Please use the current renderers with the latest fixes. See this thread for details
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4569 This update also includes newer audio renderers.
Then visit the link at the top of the site here, "Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!"
You need to change the renderer settings from the defaults, to something you like, or you are still using the basic compatibility settings (all renderers).
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

@Dr.Flay: yeah, I use these but Im too lazy to search for them and dont remember where I get these ;p

@Torax: :p no prob dear neighboor ;p

With this method it is possible to use OpenGL in Ued2.0, so everything looks like in a game
Just locate your UnrealTournament.ini and in [Engine.Engine] modify just one line to match this:
WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
that's all, but I must wrote how to use this correctly:
-open your editor and refresh viewports (View>Configure Windows> and click OK), openGL is now active.
-openGL is buggy in editor so when you need to operating in 2D views you will need to switch to software again (just do it normally).
-when openGL is active in texture browser textures names are not displayed sometimes, just right click on given texture and select properties to see everything.
-ummm have fun ;p

also, Im suggest to set in the same UnrealTournament.ini in the section [Editor.EditorEngine] these lines to True:
TextureLock=True (always keep texture scaling values and alligment when moving/rotating brushes. Also transforming permanently a brush do not reset scaling values but can misallign textures)
SelectionLock=True (Shift+M remember choosen surfaces even if they textures are changed later, Shift+R for recall)
I can provide a few usefull buttons to mappers but thats something for another topic :), some of them probably can be included in next 227 version
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

BTW. Here is an example of UEd2 using new renderers, in the thread "Edited int files for advanced tweaking"
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3625#p35098

Only the original OpenGL is buggy in UEd. Newer ones have proved to be fine.
This is because the original GL renderer was buggy, as it was not finished.

Whatever renderer you use for UEd, you need to switch off antialiasing, or it will slow the movement of the viewport.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

While initially just for monsters, I've taken textures out of ut2004 and imported them into ut99. I may not need to, but I do scale them down to 256x256 most of the time.

Example · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=39767#p39767

Most ut2004 textures are 512x512.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758