Win7 can't launch ut99 from ued2

Discussions about UT99
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Win7 can't launch ut99 from ued2

Post by FraGnBraG »

This is driving me crazy - i can find no answer (so far) ...

Map editing works fine, no problems running or building with UED2

however, when i launch the game from within the editor i get garbage all over the screen
and have to kill the processes ...

(yes, yes, just run the game "outside" of ued - that's all i hear :mad2:
problem is my XP-habit has me clicking the joystick often and then i waste valuable minutes by starting over...

There has got to be a way... Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks in advance

Windows 7 enterprise 64 ... 436 (goty) ut99 and ued2
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
rsbloom44
Experienced

Re: Win7 can't launch ut99 from ued2

Post by rsbloom44 »

try a new install of ut and see if it still happens? i have no issues launching the game from the editor, same setup as you
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I use Win7 and I never had any issue like that either. Where did you install UT (in C:\ or C:\Program Files or other)?
Did you try to run UEd in admin mode or windows xp compatibility mode or both?

My guess it's some permissions voodoo going on in windows, as from Vista and beyond, the operating system got a lot restrictive on what programs could read and write to depending on the folder and the whole system definitions themselves.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Just in Monday I ordered a Lenovo G500 Notebook
So I fear what will happen if I copy my UT to the laptop
How works UT in Win 8? Sorry for OFF
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

FraGnBraG wrote:This is driving me crazy - i can find no answer (so far) ...

Map editing works fine, no problems running or building with UED2

however, when i launch the game from within the editor i get garbage all over the screen
and have to kill the processes ...

(yes, yes, just run the game "outside" of ued - that's all i hear :mad2:
problem is my XP-habit has me clicking the joystick often and then i waste valuable minutes by starting over...

There has got to be a way... Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks in advance

Windows 7 enterprise 64 ... 436 (goty) ut99 and ued2
I use exactly the same OS as you on my codinglaptop, and I have to go with Ferali on this one, I think it's a missing permission of some sort? I have heard others with problems back in the days with issues when launching the game from Ued, what they did was to change the Ued renderer to the same renderer as the game, somehow the engine did not change to the correct renderer when launched from Ued. These are the only two solutions I can come up with :noidea
Retired.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

thanks for the responses guys :thuup:

hmm, i did not do a clean install ... I just copied the full folders from an external backup, add the exe's to the DEP list ...

do i need registry entries for ut99 (?) i think ut2004 writes to reg, but does ut?

good to hear it works in win7 for you guys ... so i'll try a disk install next ...

Thanks, you guys rock :rock:
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

yeah if you didn't install it and just copied the files you have to use UTREGFIX to associate it in the registry
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Well, if the game launches when you click the joystick then the exe should be assiciated with Windows? However, running the regfix may fix the problem if it's within the regestry database: http://www.files.unrealtournament.info/ ... regfix.zip
Retired.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
TheDane wrote:Well, if the game launches when you click the joystick then the exe should be assiciated with Windows? However, running the regfix may fix the problem if it's within the regestry database: http://www.files.unrealtournament.info/ ... regfix.zip
This work with all windows and contain framework patch for RegFix UT99 http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... 20UT99.zip
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

good to see you back here FnB :highfive:
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

thanks KingJosh :)

back to my problem... I did do the RegFix business (i already did have the RegFixUT99 utility)
I also had a REG file with a bunch of keys in it for ut99 and ut2004 but can't find it (dammit!)
I think iirc that the UT99 key "Unreal Technology" has just the version, which was all that the RegFixUT99.exe put in there ("400")
which i changed to "436"...

none of this has fixed my problem yet ...
so, i don't think the registry is a problem ...

Note that c:\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe launches from menus, icons and explorer mapclick works great, associations are in place.
No issues for just playing and loading maps/mods/etc...

I could still do a clean install and then patch (i hate doing that :/) - somehow i don't think that will fix the issue but i'll do that as a last resort

I will kill all the ini files next (and then rebuild them) - maybe some of these are read-only (i think they shouldn't be RO... ?)

my video drivers should be okay, i'll check that too...

cheers
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Feralidragon wrote:I use Win7 and I never had any issue like that either. Where did you install UT (in C:\ or C:\Program Files or other)?
Did you try to run UEd in admin mode or windows xp compatibility mode or both?[...]
:?:
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

I had it work fine under Win 7 too, did you try copying the game folder in a non-protected area (like in your Documents and Settings folder) where there won't be any permission problem?
It shouldn't be a registry problem as I think the editor just looks for an UnrealTournament.exe file that's located in the same folder as the editor executable, it doesn't look that information up in the registry. It could be that it tries to look for the UT executable but it doesn't find it since it has no permission to search in its folder.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Feralidragon wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:I use Win7 and I never had any issue like that either. Where did you install UT (in C:\ or C:\Program Files or other)?
Did you try to run UEd in admin mode or windows xp compatibility mode or both?[...]
:?:
"C:\UnrealTournament"

Did all combinations of "running as administrator" and compatibility, still no luck ...

Note I've tried UT99 on all 3 computers I have here - (dual core, quad i7, dual core amd laptop, all have different memory/video/monitor/gpu)
all run a win7 64-bit os and ut is setup the same way with MAX permissions etc (executables, folders, etc)

ALL have the same behavior - ued2 and ut99 work fine by themselves but ued2 won't launch ut99 properly...

hmm... i wonder if the 64 bit os is killing my ut99 ...? (I've seen this with some other 32-bit games)

I also noticed the registry entries are in a different location in win7 than in XP...

would somebody be kind enough to export (or post) there win7 UT99 registry keys?

Thanks

note - i did manage to view the log and catch this error in real-time, after forcing the ut99 window to minimize
(this occurred right when ut99 loaded scrambled - note the music track is also playing and keeps playing until i kill the ut99 process)
UT99-IN-ued2-CRASH1 .jpg
UT99-IN-ued2-CRASH1 .jpg (39.21 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Hey fragbrag its possible the issue would be related to the "ut" version you did install on win 7?

I mean, theres some ut99 "versions" installer:

1- Old ut disc
2- Digital install disc ( steam, directdrive etc...each retailer has their own install sofware -installaware, setup factory ...-)
3- Unreal anthology disc
4- Unreal anthology digital installer ( same possible retailer as item 2)

What kind of ut installer did you used to?