Master server ping?

Discussions about UT99
rsbloom44
Experienced

Master server ping?

Post by rsbloom44 »

All the servers are in the 100's for me. When I connect to them I ping normal so I don't know if it's just my connection displaying them so high. Is it just me?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: Master server ping?

Post by ShaiHulud »

Is this something different from what you've observed in the past?

When you click a tab in the server browser and none of the gametypes have previously been populated, your client contacts the Master Server to acquire a list of all of the servers that are advertising themselves to it. The server gives your client this list, and then your UT client busily contacts every server in the list, and waits for replies containing all of the usual display information (server name, player numbers, server version and so on). There used to be a game server browser called Kquery, and the author wrote some tutorials with code snippets, so I played around with my own simple UT server browser some time ago and remember dealing with all of this.

With all of that concurrent communication going on, I suppose it's not surprising that your rated ping for a server is higher than your actual in-game ping.

If you wait until the server list is fully populated, then click a server name and wait a moment for the information to update, does your listed ping go down?
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

My ping to the servers doesn't go down once the whole list is populated. This happens on my favorite list as well. I never had this problem before in all my years of playing, so I guess it is my connection, which is strange that I ping normal once connected. I'm also using eavy server browser, it might have something to do with that.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Do you have some other programs running in the background?
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

No programs. It's really weird, I tried a different unrealtournament.ini and the pings are normal. I deleted some stuff in my original ini just stuff containing saved passwords to clean it out, but I must have deleted something to do with the master server list.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You did set up the master-server list yourself?
it looks like you have to replace your .ini
But wait for the experts ...in the meanwhile can you post here your .ini inside the code-tags.