Discussions about UT99
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

A nice UT link - 333networks

Post by Pileyrei »

http://ubrowser.333networks.com

View server info without starting the game :D
Last edited by Pileyrei on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Re: A nice UT link

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Cool link, thanks for sharing.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Very cool! Great work...nice to have a look before kicking off.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Pileyrei wrote:http://ubrowser.333networks.com

But their are not all server on the list or am I blind?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:
Pileyrei wrote:http://ubrowser.333networks.com

But their are not all server on the list or am I blind?
I think they offer server view in Unreal, UT99, and Demo. If not, well they support all 3 as far for master server browser support. :tu:
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Nice Tool, sadly I somehow can't get my browser to draw the window frames to full size (IE), anyone has the same issues? also, I get latency, it seems like it uses an interface simular to TeamViewer? I get that feeling hehe
Retired.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

"Nice link" has to be the most understated thing ever.
I assume people have forgotten or missed the conversation we had about the Epic master server no longer working ?
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5205

The "IMPORTANT LINK"
http://333networks.com
Anyone who does not use the 333networks masterserver after GameSpy finally close, will not see any servers in UT.
And after that if you see the 333 browser empty, you better hope it is just a temporary glitch, because if it is not.
Goodnight UT99 :(

Darkelarious has been tweaking the setup, so it may not be showing the GameSpy servers anymore.
Currently you add 333networks to your config, replacing one of the old dead ones.
The objective is to get 333networks to collate all the available servers via the 1 masterserver, but as new functionality has been added, new problems have risen.
The first tests were very promising, with a very fast fetching of all servers.
If you want to see where the project is, then check the development thread.
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/mast ... 56-40.html
It is still a WIP so anyone with good knowledge of Perl can feel free to join in and brainstorm with Darkelarious.

@Dane
I just tried the browser with IE and it displays as it should. If you are referring to the GUI not scaling, that would be because it is not a GUI. Just a mockup of the Ubrowser.
It is a little laggy, but I think it is fetching fresh data each time you open a tab, unlike the real Ubrowser which needs you to hit F5.

The web-based browser is a convenience, but the power is in your UnrealTournament.ini file.
http://333networks.com/masterserver
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

Thanks for the nice comments. In my first post on this forum, I would like to introduce myself and tell you a little bit more about this "Nice UT link".

I, and with me a number of other people, have been working hard on the website and underlying principle to keep UnrealTournament and its community together. Since 2005, we started playing around with the concept of a MasterServer and live server statistics on the website. At that time, people already knew about making UT queries in php (think about RockemHard.com and Almar Joling's UT PHP Server query). At that time, we tried to show not only our own servers, but all servers we were aware of, online.

You can imagine the drain on our website for trying to show everybody a live query, plus queries being sent to the UT server multiple times per second. From that point on, we started experimenting with different methods, we learned about the MasterServer and learned how to set up our own. Several years later, in 2010, we eventually moved on to a programming language called Perl. And that is where things went fast.

We set up our own masterserver, and managed to query every single utserver in less than three minutes. This includes the servers in our own masterserver, the ones in the EpicGames MasterServer and servers that are manually added via our website (click). If you start a new UT server, and make it publicly accessible online, then within 20 minutes, we know about it, no matter where it is located on this planet.

The website, http://333networks.com shows UT99 and UT99Demo servers live at any moment. We had far more success with it than we anticipated at the time, so we slowly start adding more and more information. I also added some sort of "wishlist" for features that we want to implement still, but it is difficult to make progress fast, as I am currently doing all the programming and content on my own, between my regular life's activities.

Up until now, we are using the UCC MasterServer applet ( Copyright 1999) written by Epic Games, Inc. Past autumn, I started reviewing its performance, its use of resources. The applet, this year, is more than 15 years old. I think you all agree with me that a lot of things changed online. And so I started writing my new MasterServer. As of today, I can successfully announce that we have a beta version fully operational. If you want to help us test, you can use the following settings to help us develop a better version. Keep in mind that this a beta server: half of the time it's down, the other half of the time I'm working on it. You can follow the progress on http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/mast ... t2156.html

If you want to use the server list from 333networks' beta Masterserver, to see how it works, to test it performance, or just for that extra bit of Unreal Tournament-ism, this is how you load the 333networks Masterserver from WITHIN your Online Games tab in Unreal Tournament's multiplayer games:

Change your UnrealTournament.ini settings:

Code: Select all

[UBrowserAll]
bFallbackFactories=False
ListFactories[0]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=333networks.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28905,Region=0,GameName=ut
;ListFactories[1]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
(The ; disables a specific line, in this case the GameSpy Master line. This to ensure that the listed servers are provided by 333networks alone)

Always keep backups! Do not depend on these settings, because the server is under development, it is not yet 100% reliable, it's not even 100% done!

If you own an UT server and want to do UT server uplinks to 333networks, you can send them to our own MasterServer via instructions on http://333networks.com/masterserver. If you want to help with the debugging and providing datapoints for the development Master, then follow the following instructions.

Change your UnrealTournament.ini settings:

Code: Select all

[Engine.GameEngine]
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=333networks.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=333networks.com MasterServerPort=28906
The first ServerActors line is the only original and commercial masterserver that is still working. The other two are hosted by 333networks. The last line is the development version. I hope that a few of you will consider pointing your servers at 333networks, besides the originals. Later on, (again, when I have the time), I will write a new tutorial on MasterServers and provide more information about active and inactive servers.

And of course the "nice UT link": the ubrowser version for the website was just a gag. We wanted to do something original for the people that were already using it. It was not as much of a practical implementation of the already existing website, as much as it was a challenge to exactly remake the UT interface solely with html, css and javascript. The source code for the website can be found at http://git.333networks.com/333UBrowser.

So far my first post here. I hope I provided a nice insight in our working processes and I hope that I have convinced you all to help with this MasterServer. My contact details are below, I hope to see you all soon in our IRC Channel. Also, Dr.Flay, thanks for pointing me in the direction of this topic.

Kind regards!
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I appreciate the work you guys are doing. A heads up if you made a list of all the gametypes logged and had them in the browser lists that reflect it. DM is smartDM, BT is BT++, BunnyTrack2, BunnyTrack3. Monster hunt has several, well I'm sure you know what I mean. Of course I do understand you guys did this more as a mock up exercise and not a totally serious compilation
Darkelarious
Skilled

Post by Darkelarious »

billybill wrote:I appreciate the work you guys are doing. A heads up if you made a list of all the gametypes logged and had them in the browser lists that reflect it. DM is smartDM, BT is BT++, BunnyTrack2, BunnyTrack3. Monster hunt has several, well I'm sure you know what I mean. Of course I do understand you guys did this more as a mock up exercise and not a totally serious compilation
Thanks.
Essentially it's my version of a hobby. We do not have any commercial (or financial) support for this project, but I spend a great many hours where I can. On the other hand, I think that we surpassed the "mock up" and are heading slowly but steadily for one of UT's vital resources. I don't believe that the current masterserver will be shut down soon, but it definitely good to have at least one redundancy.

I'm still using the "old" gametype filters, where the map prefix determines in which list it ends up. Since most of the servers are categorized correctly, it is not one of the highest priorities, certainly not when we are making breakthroughs in the field of writing a masterserver that has the ability to communicate with other masterservers (yes, that's right, today we can add that to the list of achievements :highfive: ).

We can certainly use some help with filters: on what are they based? By map, by mutator? Which types should be put together? Which ones separated? And of course, it is golden if anyone can have a look on the source code of that part and guess on a possible implementation of gametype filters.
--Darkelarious
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I was referring to the page in the top link being a mock-up exercise, I was not referring to your what your master server returns. I was hesitant to give feature requests since I took that from what you've said. But should be able to give you more than a heads-up on some problems with using the map's name to detect gametype or using the map's localized name to generate the screenshots you have displayed

A problem with detecting the gametype by mapname is modes like siege use a CTF prefix and often bunny track as well, even our servers run DOM maps in Deathmatch. But the good news is there is a gametype returned from the info query but someone would have to sort them into appropriate lists. The easiest way would be to generate a list of them and go through them manually there shouldn't be too many. Some admins may actually want it to show these game modes and will not be changing any time soon

A bug I did notice was with the screenshots displayed, an example the map Morpheus was playing on our spanish server and the screenshot was of the ut2004 Morpeus (was it Morpheus with a number at the end?), but when I messed with the URL your "Morpheus" map was indeed correct. So you must be taking the spanish localized version of the map which is "Morfeo". Which in the regular Ubrowser it would take the returned map filename itself not the localized version of Morfeo to determines the screenshot. The server should return both the map's file name and the localized version from the server's end. It would save you a lot of time and effort to do it this way rather than go through all the various languages
Darkelarious
Skilled

Post by Darkelarious »

Very true.
I stand corrected, 333networks indeed uses the GameType field instead of the mapname/prefix, a mistake easily made when being driven nuts with other masterserver related problems :wink:. The problem remains the same, however. Not all servers use the correct gametype, others have a slightly different gametype or setting. I need to take the time to talk with people (also such as yourself) to compile a list of nowadays available types, suggestions and filters, when the time is right. For now, I think the most servers are categorized correctly, but then again, I don't play in all servers on a daily basis.

The map screenshots are a known problem-- I have a folder with 536 map thumbnails. They are community-provided, once in a while somebody sends me a zip with new map thumbs, in the hope to keep my list sort-of up to date. The picture is selected based on a full match on the mapname (not to be confused with maptitle).

I never went through the list to check if the picture corresponds to the map. Sometimes, these pictures or incorrectly labelled. For everybody reading this, if you see such mistakes, feel free to send me the correct picture -- it would be nice if image boundaries are no smaller than 128x128 and no larger than 512x512px. I am considering a public ftp server for that purpose, please let me know if there is any enthusiasm for that.
Last edited by Darkelarious on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Darkelarious
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Nice to have you here finally ;)
I am thinking this would be better as it's own post, or maybe Pileyrei or admin can add 333networks to the thread title ?

Remember people this service is community made, for the community, so all those with OCD can feel free to submit images, feature requests, and bug reports.

An example feature that makes our life easier is the ability to search by "Mutator", as many servers use a mutator instead of a Gametype.
eg. All the Chaos servers.
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkelarious
Skilled

Post by Darkelarious »

Dr.Flay wrote:Nice to have you here finally ;)
I am thinking this would be better as it's own post, or maybe Pileyrei or admin can add 333networks to the thread title ?
Heh, that would be a good one, hijacking the first thread I post in! :agree1:
--Darkelarious
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Pileyrei made this thread he has to decide. :wink: