Fast Server Downloads

Discussions about UT99
anth
Adept

Fast Server Downloads

Post by anth »

So... did anyone else know that you can remove the bandwidth cap from server downloads (i.e. downloading UPackages from a UT server) by adding -lanplay to the server commandline?

In other words:
ucc server CTF-Coret?game=blabla... => downloads are capped by MaxClientRate

ucc server CTF-Coret?game=blabla... -lanplay => no cap on the download speed, only on the regular netspeed...

Besides that, the only difference between -lanplay and "regular play" is that lanplay will use the LanServerMaxTickRate rather than the NetServerMaxTickrate.
UT99.org

Re: Fast Server Downloads

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I had no idea this would work. Do you know if it still sends the redirectserver first and if the client doesn't support redirect's or whatever then it downloads direct. What I mean is, is the redirecttoserver still relevent for -lanplay servers or does it force directdownload?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I saw someone who played around and told me to set my netspeed to like... over 20k and my speed doubled as much fast I could download - I forgot what I had mine set to. So however he increased the server's netspeed that you would allow to download fast files. But if you don't want many of the netspeed abuser, then you wouldn't want to do this. lol.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

billybill wrote:I had no idea this would work. Do you know if it still sends the redirectserver first and if the client doesn't support redirect's or whatever then it downloads direct. What I mean is, is the redirecttoserver still relevent for -lanplay servers or does it force directdownload?
it's still relevant. It will still respect the order of your downloadmanagers
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

That could certainly come in useful some day; wow, seems amazing no-one has stumbled over this before, thanks for posting.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

thats an Awesome tip Anths much appreciated , was wondering about this kind of thing a while back..

*be even better if there was a mod which... detected non-directed / mispelt files and alerted admins through .log file

:tu:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Not 100% sure of this, but v400 cannot download at all, 432 can download but not from redirects. Therefor all those servers that have minclientversion as 400 but have a ton of downloads can at least go to 432 and use this commandline
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Wait, was this not public knowledge already?

I always conducted my local tests on various UT clients using Lan mode :loool:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Also, did anyone know that Windows limits you to 90% of your bandwidth ?
This is intended to make sharing a network function smoothly.
If your PC is the only one on your connection, it is wise to disable the 10% reserved bandwidth, by setting it to 0%
Cacheman provides an easy way to change this setting.
network.png
It also allows you to easily disable disk-thrashing options, if you use SSD or have a Windows server.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Dr.Flay wrote:Also, did anyone know that Windows limits you to 90% of your bandwidth ?
As much I've been switching places for faster internet then back to my house for DSL, I don't see anything that windows limit my bandwidth at all. But I'm only using Win 7 in this case.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

can we get an exact command line for this? I tried this but doesn't work.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/304 ... rob**FIXED!!**

May help shed more light on subject...
Last edited by Wises on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Dr.Flay wrote:Also, did anyone know that Windows limits you to 90% of your bandwidth ?
This is intended to make sharing a network function smoothly.
If your PC is the only one on your connection, it is wise to disable the 10% reserved bandwidth, by setting it to 0%
Cacheman provides an easy way to change this setting.

20% by default in Win7. And this setting is a bit of a ruse.

That reserved bandwidth is only reserved when needed: for tasks that involve QoS functions (streaming video, VoIP, Windows Update, etc) but when these tasks are not being utilized, the bandwidth is not reserved; you have 100% when not calling on QoS functions. The reserved bandwidth does have a rationale and it isn't always in one's best interest to change that setting.

For me, it would make no difference. I can get speeds much faster than any server out there will provide, so bumping up an already too-high ceiling does nothing. With Torrents, I can get 12MB/s down, but those crazy speeds are never seen from individual servers. In other words, my bandwidth (and most people's these days) is not the bottleneck.