SwFMOD
3%

Total votes: 39

Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

New Renderers: Your choice

Post by Dr.Flay »

A gauge of video and audio renderer preference/usage would be handy, so I'm posting this permanent poll.
You may tick as many as you use, and change your choice at any time in the future.

Please feel free to add a comment as to why you use that renderer combination, or more importantly why you cannot use one.
If you do answer, please say if you are using the old Chris Dohnal renderers or the new renderers from Oldunreal.
Feedback on the usage and take-up of the new audio renderers is much appreciated.
Note: Comparison based on the difference between the brightness of D3D* and GL, is pointless. It just means you didn't replicate the settings properly (the defaults are both different). I can easily get GL and DX to look exactly the same.
Functionality, compatibility, and speed, are more important issues.

See this thread for new renderers if you have not got them
:arrow: :arrow: http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4569&start=0

If you have a problem with any of the new renderers from Oldunreal, please say so now :confused2:
Your voice and feedback will help to guarantee UT99 continues to get the few tech updates and fixes available under the limited conditions.

Papa Smirf thinks the UT99 community is not bothered about his last gift to it, and is not sure if the UT world wants more renderer development.

I see how much interest the idea of a new UEd fired people-up, but feel I should remind you, if you want access to some of the new features in Unreal, it requires the equal component in UT.
But, on the other-hand if people just want new stuff, for the sake of having new stuff, and don't actually use it...there is no point making it.
Hopefully the lack of feedback so far, is because mostly people are happy with the new renderers :noidea
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KingJosh
Skilled

Re: Renderers: Your choice

Post by KingJosh »

D3D9 works good for me - it has S3TC support and good FPS. I also use D3D9 for my Unreal Editor viewport.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Glide :rock:
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

OpenGL in general. DX is limitied for me, OpenGL can do stuff DX10+ can't on XP.. which sucks.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

OpenGl in UT and Unreal.
You must construct additional pylons.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

for me it is a Software Renderer for UEd for fine tunning (especially selecting brushes and 2D views) and OpenGL too to see detail/macro textures without need to run playtest.
In game I use OpenGL only
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

Opengl or Direct3d9 for me. I have the same performance on both, but what I like about Direct3d9 is the fact that you can set your gamma high and when you alt tab it doesn't affect your desktop gamma, whereas tabbing with Opengl results in a super bright desktop.

And for audio, I just use galaxy, but openal sounded the best and I found it to be the most compatible with my sound card (asus xonar essence st)
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

D3D9 because it gives me more FPS on my laptop and OpenGL just looks weird.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

D3D9 Is the best. Low FPS + S3TC Textures.
I don't really like OpenGL's colors.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

15 years with Glide then OGL. In my opinion D3D looks more cartoony while OGL looks more gritty and realistic. Performance is a moot point on any reasonably modern system....quite surprised that folks are still talking about it at all.
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

D3D9, runs smooth on my laptop and I hardly experience any lag on any map. OGL for some reason kind of breaks on my laptop, I get about 3x fewer FPS when using OGL compared to D3D9 with about the same settings.

I am using the older D3D9/OGL from http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ though, instead of the newer ones. I tried them briefly, but I got kicked out by ACE on all my favorite servers because the renderer was not recognised, so I reverted back.

I have never really tried any other sound renderers than galaxy.
Tim-_-
Average

Post by Tim-_- »

OpenGL and OpenAL here. 8)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

D3D9 + Galaxy
OpenGL runs fine for me, but D3D9 seems to be more stable.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Excellent so far.
Negative issues with the new renderers are "good" to see.

Yes the ACE issue is a problem, and it has kept me out of several servers, but that is down to Anthrax (I think is the ACE author).
A while ago I left a request in the Unrealadmin thread to have the new audio renderers white-listed.
Not something that Papa Smirf can fix, but a valid point.

I re-edited the first post as I have finally had some sleep. Some of you may want to post a little more info due to the change, but don't feel obliged.
I felt that specifying which "brand" of renderer :lol2: you are using is important, and a clue as to why I posted :wink: