Petition directed at Epic to work on a new UT

Discussions about UT99
thiagofb
Novice

Petition directed at Epic to work on a new UT

Post by thiagofb »

Hello. With the release of Unreal Engine 4 during GDC 2014, the Kazakh Victor Torque had the idea of starting a petition for Epic to honor the tradition of releasing a new UT for each engine. I know they're currently not working on a new UT, but at least with this we can show our need for a new UT, for a series revival. I found out about this petition and I'm arduously spreading through friends and forums. If you approve this idea, sign the petition and spread further, if you don't, at least spread with your friends that love UT, they'll like it.

LINK: http://chn.ge/1m1nNta

For spreading in social networks, my friend and I decided to make up a hashtag to accompany posts. When you share on Facebook or Twitter, please use #UT4GOTY.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Petition directed at Epic to work on a new UT

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Thanks for spreading the word.
I'd like to see a new UT (or a new Unreal), BUT I'm a bit sceptic about it. If it ever WILL BE in development, then there's a few things this moght go:
1) The game's a huge success: even less players might stay with UT99/04/07 then there already are.
2) The game's a huge failure: Fans will be dissapointed and won't play it, causing Epic to drop the series forever.
I've still signed the peticion, and good to see over 150 signes already, but the saying "be careful what you wish for", really fits this situation, doesn't it :P
P.S. Don't use that large font size next time please, and welcome to the forums.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I would rather like to see that Epic give the source free for UT1/unreal. I mean they don't depend on U-script anymore in UE4.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

As I said on BU, at this point, I'm half hoping there'll never be another UT. It would probably suck. I'd rather have great memories on a glorious game than have to preface every sentence with "no, I mean the good games, before the series sucked and became the butt of all jokes". You know, as Duke Nukem fans have to do.

I'd don't believe they could make a good UT game. First, I don't believe Epic has what it tales. But most importantly, they couldn't if they wanted. To have even moderate success, they would have to bring UT to a more "modern" gameplay. And they can't, because UT depends on its oldskool style. Just look at UT3: it's closer to UT99 than UT2004 (it sucks, however, for different reasons), and it failed miserably. So either they make a "real" UT and it fails at having any type of commercial success (probably killing the franchise in the movement, and they know it, so they won't do that), or they modernize UT beyond any recognition.

TL;DR: leave Unreal alone!
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGecko wrote: P.S. Don't use that large font size next time please, and welcome to the forums.
He is right on both things...

I edited your post thiagofb.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Hellkeeper wrote:As I said on BU, at this point, I'm half hoping there'll never be another UT. It would probably suck. I'd rather have great memories on a glorious game than have to preface every sentence with "no, I mean the good games, before the series sucked and became the butt of all jokes". You know, as Duke Nukem fans have to do.

I'd don't believe they could make a good UT game. First, I don't believe Epic has what it tales. But most importantly, they couldn't if they wanted. To have even moderate success, they would have to bring UT to a more "modern" gameplay. And they can't, because UT depends on its oldskool style. Just look at UT3: it's closer to UT99 than UT2004 (it sucks, however, for different reasons), and it failed miserably. So either they make a "real" UT and it fails at having any type of commercial success (probably killing the franchise in the movement, and they know it, so they won't do that), or they modernize UT beyond any recognition.

Yup even I agree with this. I am rather happy with old Unreal Series. I don't think that the new UT will won peoples heart. It would suck since think about it. UT3 though nice in Graphics and Bug Less Engine yet still got bad reviews during the time of its release. If UT3 has got bad reviews, then what would be the reviews about New UT?? But if Epic accepts this petition and start working on new UT, then that would be good news at least.
thiagofb
Novice

Post by thiagofb »

UnrealGecko wrote:Thanks for spreading the word.
I'd like to see a new UT (or a new Unreal), BUT I'm a bit sceptic about it. If it ever WILL BE in development, then there's a few things this moght go:
1) The game's a huge success: even less players might stay with UT99/04/07 then there already are.
2) The game's a huge failure: Fans will be dissapointed and won't play it, causing Epic to drop the series forever.
I've still signed the peticion, and good to see over 150 signes already, but the saying "be careful what you wish for", really fits this situation, doesn't it :P
P.S. Don't use that large font size next time please, and welcome to the forums.
Thank you :D Sorry about the font, i thought "it's a small text, using a larger font wouldn't be a problem"
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

What should a new UT be?

If it is just a reworked UT GOTY, what is a must do?

For me it would be: DO NOT TOUCH the movement, the physics, the gameplay etc.. Changing it would - in my opinion - destroy the game.
So what could be done?

Graphics: A little more improvement would be great, more colours for textures, higher resolution, but the overall look of UT should be like UT is, just improved.

Music/sound: umx is not toooo bad with a good audio driver, but i would like ogg or mp3 very much. So more audioformats are a complete must.

After the long time UT exists they could get rid off many bugs, it is not so nice to fall through some walls or hang mid air (DM-[ASC]Headquarters) , or hang in a wall (DM-Condo). But what about hanging in teleporters? The server admin should decide (like he can use DANEs mod)

Tickrate: Yeah more is cool! No? Yes it is!

I think many people have different opinions on what should be improved or changed completely. When it would come to an upgrade/update we could end in a - dont touch anything.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
thiagofb
Novice

Post by thiagofb »

Hellkeeper wrote:As I said on BU, at this point, I'm half hoping there'll never be another UT. It would probably suck. I'd rather have great memories on a glorious game than have to preface every sentence with "no, I mean the good games, before the series sucked and became the butt of all jokes". You know, as Duke Nukem fans have to do.

Well, if there can't or won't be a direct sequel, I'm rooting more for a spiritual successor. Project NEX and CliffyB's Silverstreak, for example!

Edit------------------------ by papercoffee
Rocky wrote:Yup even I agree with this. I am rather happy with old Unreal Series. I don't think that the new UT will won peoples heart. It would suck since think about it. UT3 though nice in Graphics and Bug Less Engine yet still got bad reviews during the time of its release. If UT3 has got bad reviews, then what would be the reviews about New UT?? But if Epic accepts this petition and start working on new UT, then that would be good news at least.
imho, 83 in Metacritic doesn't mean bad reviews :P http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/unreal-tournament-iii

Also, it wasn't poorly recieved by critics. It was poorly recieved by the divided fanbase! Mixing 99 and 2004 elements was a really daring move!

Edit------------------------ by papercoffee
noccer wrote:What should a new UT be?

For me it would be: DO NOT TOUCH the movement, the physics, the gameplay etc.. Changing it would - in my opinion - destroy the game.
So what could be done?

Graphics: A little more improvement would be great, more colours for textures, higher resolution, but the overall look of UT should be like UT is, just improved.

Music/sound: umx is not toooo bad with a good audio driver, but i would like ogg or mp3 very much. So more audioformats are a complete must.

After the long time UT exists they could get rid off many bugs, it is not so nice to fall through some walls or hang mid air (DM-[ASC]Headquarters) , or hang in a wall (DM-Condo). But what about hanging in teleporters? The server admin should decide (like he can use DANEs mod)

Tickrate: Yeah more is cool! No? Yes it is!

I think many people have different opinions on what should be improved or changed completely. When it would come to an upgrade/update we could end in a - dont touch anything.
1. Who said we were rooting for a UT99 remake?
2. If it was a remake, obviously improvements in graphics and audio would be made.
3. I believe those maps are community ones :P

Please avoid double posts next time!
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

noccer wrote:For me it would be: DO NOT TOUCH the movement, the physics, the gameplay etc.. Changing it would - in my opinion - destroy the game.
So what could be done?

100% Agree with that. :agree1:
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

I've seen this discussed on /v/ and I also think it'd be better to ask for UE 1.x to become FOSS.

Mostly because UT has a terrible Linux port and I'm forced to use Wine if I want it to work properly.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Saya-chan wrote:I've seen this discussed on /v/ and I also think it'd be better to ask for UE 1.x to become FOSS.

Mostly because UT has a terrible Linux port and I'm forced to use Wine if I want it to work properly.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

noccer wrote:What should a new UT be?

So what could be done?
I only want to see improved only one weapon the goo in the ut version looks too unaccurate and unperfectly that it does requires more targeting practice its a not-most-used weapon overall armory. I do not use usually
thiagofb
Novice

Post by thiagofb »

darksonny wrote:I only want to see improved only one weapon the goo in the ut version looks too unaccurate and unperfectly that it does requires more targeting practice its a not-most-used weapon overall armory. I do not use usually
You should try using it as an instant minefield, that limits the enemy's movements for tactical reasons. Theoretically (means I didn't try it yet) it's useful to stop enemies trying to invade your base in CTF, forcing them to try another way and be cornered.

...or just charge it up and fire when you're sure it'll hit.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote:
Saya-chan wrote:I've seen this discussed on /v/ and I also think it'd be better to ask for UE 1.x to become FOSS.
Hell Yeah!!! :rock:, someone should do a petition for THAT. :P