How does that even cause that??

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

How does that even cause that??

Post by EvilGrins »

As we've established,m I'm a screenshot fanatic, and though this is about that I'd like this not to go in the "Screenshots for Fun" thread because it's not entirely about that.

I've noticed sometimes that when I take a screenshot it adversely effects what's happening in the game. It can actually cause items and player on a map to move.

See this?

2 bots going up on a trolley/lift up a mountain. Right after I took the screenshot, 1 of the bots phased out of that thing and fell to its death.

There's no BSP holes in the lift, so taking the screenshot caused it to fall to it's death.

WTF?!?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Re: How does that even cause that??

Post by Spectra »

Nope.
There is no relation between Screenshot and BSP holes. Some BSP in the map exists but they are not visible. So the player thinks, this path safe.
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

OMG Rocky... you destroyed his dream xD

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Before anything, a little definition: tick rate is basically "frames per second" or "engine ticks per second".

A lot of the physics depends on the tick rate in UEngine (most of it in fact, which is one of the biggest flaws of the engine as a whole), so there are plenty of cases where when the tick rate is lower the physics will be a lot less precise, such as in case of non-linear forces, collision detection, etc.
Having that said, when you take a screenshot, sometimes the game may take a while in doing so, and thus at that moment the tick rate lowers to a very low value, since it will take a relatively long time before it renders the next frame, and when the tick rate is low enough that kind of things may happen: stuff passing through thin walls/floors, projectiles hitting a different location relative what's expected, etc.

In some cases the engine may even ignore the spawn of some effects and such since it will erroneously think that the game is having a performance hit during that moment.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Sound like an interesting tip. Thanks FD! :)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Suggestion.
Use an alternative method of screengrab that is not using the UT engine.

As I have the ENB files sat in the UT system folder, it injects itself into the DirectX chain, rather than being an actual addon. The ENB default is to be disabled, but all the functions can be accessed.
Hitting the Print Screen key dumps a screenshot from the buffer into the system folder without upsetting things.

Other tools will give you an alternative.
Multi-function tools like raptr and overwatch allow you to configure screenshots and what format. Even the humble little GTLite app from GameTracker can do screenshots, and yes you can set it to save them anywhere you like, and use whatever key you like.
If you have become a creature of habit, move the UT key to somewhere else, and set your chosen app to use the key you normally use.