uTournament.net

Discussions about UT99
Tim-_-
Average

uTournament.net

Post by Tim-_- »

Before Epic announced everything today, I had a bit of a head start on it. And I realized that whatever is officially released will almost certainly differ too much from UT99 for us old-timers to really enjoy and keep playing it, so some kind of action is in order.

The splash page should tell you almost everything you know, but long story short, the idea is to adjust the open source assets to match UT99 as closely as possible so that we end up with UT99 in Unreal Engine 4, and it will all be controlled via your web browser.

The project is in need of some top notch developers, and I know there are plenty here at UT99.org, so feel free to contact me directly or send an email to staffing@utournament.net if you're interested.

http://www.utournament.net

(You may want to lower your sound a bit, just in case. And make sure to use a modern browser with CSS3 and HTML5 mp3 audio support.)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: uTournament.net

Post by JackGriffin »

The splash page doesn't say much of anything and after entering my email...well nothing happened. Here's a hint: if you want to attract "top notch developers" then you want to spend a lot less real estate on an uber-leet logo and more on what it is that you are doing. I lost interest very fast and I'm only posting here to warn other people who might have an interest what they can expect.

Edit: OK, I see now with the follow up email what's going on. Wouldn't it just be easier to say "Hey, let's make a group!" like everyone else is? I think many devs will pass simply because they don't know who is involved, who is in charge, what's the development arc, etc.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Don't know...

What if I don't like your ideas? huh? ...I'll make my own UT clone ...I call it µTournament short µT
or wait ...I call it Über Tournament then it's ÜT.

Well, jokes apart ...I wish you luck with your project. :tu:
Tim-_-
Average

Post by Tim-_- »

JackGriffin wrote:The splash page doesn't say much of anything and after entering my email...well nothing happened. Here's a hint: if you want to attract "top notch developers" then you want to spend a lot less real estate on an uber-leet logo and more on what it is that you are doing. I lost interest very fast and I'm only posting here to warn other people who might have an interest what they can expect.

Edit: OK, I see now with the follow up email what's going on. Wouldn't it just be easier to say "Hey, let's make a group!" like everyone else is? I think many devs will pass simply because they don't know who is involved, who is in charge, what's the development arc, etc.
Good sir, it says everything anyone would possibly need to know at the bottom:
uTournament is a modification of Epic's open source Unreal Tournament using UE4. It aims to match UT99's gameplay.
Want to contribute? Visit unrealengine.com and subscribe!
Got what it takes to join the team? Email your resume and a brief description of what you have to offer to staffing@utournament.net.
papercoffee wrote:Don't know...

What if I don't like your ideas? huh? ...I'll make my own UT clone ...I call it µTournament short µT
or wait ...I call it Über Tournament then it's ÜT.
There's nothing wrong with that. Epic's made it pretty clear that everyone is welcome to make their own mods. This one just happens to essentially be a remake of UT99 in UE4 in the browser. :tu:
papercoffee wrote: Well, jokes apart ...I wish you luck with your project. :tu:
Thanks! :highfive:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:And the question on everybodies mind: Is that NewNet UT99 or a UT99 clone?
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

billybill wrote:And the question on everybodies mind: Is that NewNet UT99 or a UT99 clone?
Interesting... NewNet UT99? What?! :| UT99 Clone?! Don't need. UT99 Is just keep UT99.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:It would be ut99 on UE4 engine. The point I'm making is that the netcode for ut2k4 onwards was shifted more to ping compensation. UT99 being the most popular today, notably because of it's gameplay. There needs to be a debate on this somewhere though. What if all UT99 map remakes had default ut99 weapons, but UT2004/3 maps had equivalent of the ping compensated weapons by default. New maps would have to choose which weapons they place or what 'mod' they use. I'm just throwing ideas out there at this point. If I find nobody is doing basing it on the original UT99 play then I will probably step up but I'd wait a while to see how things are eventuating first

I agree with the person who said they should make Bunny Track first to get the movement right. I wouldn't care if it took 6 months of playing BT to get it right, I'm sure it would produce some good fun and nice maps at the same time. I am not sure how this works though, someone needs to make the net protocols and the basic game code, and then you guys go ahead and make the CTF, instagib gun, and try out your NewNet zero-ping type movers? Sounds like you could get an early chance to show off your skills TimTim
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

UT99 converted into a new engine would be awesome if done with respect. I don't know how this new UE4 is functioning but the idea sounds great.

As the question about NewnetUT verses "oldUT" netcode, isn't that question irrelevant? The mod would use the netcode that comes with UE4? Why revert that back to a mod created for the UT99 engine?

How is hitscans handled in UE4? Is it good ol crap actor radius? or has it been improved to mesh or something else?
Retired.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I saw your original post, and applaud the idea.
Anyone that read it will also be aware of you leaving Newnet behind to concentrate on this, so there is no need for anyone to be bringing that into the conversation.

The arguments have already started in the epic forums, and most of them miss the point.
People will always differ in their opinion about what makes UT, UT, so some want this, and some want that, often depending on the era in which they discovered it.
The people that argue, forget what made UT, UT, was all of it.
It offered very different game-types that appealed to different people, and playable at 3 different speeds on top of the difficulty settings.

Some people want to make UT4 very faithful to UT99, and I say if you want to be that faithful then why not ?
There is no reason we don't also end up with 2k4 and UT3 being remade.
Then all purists can happily play their version of choice (even in a web browser).

I saw some interest in the UT4 kit at UnrealSP, and some are already playing with it (nice early result !).
There is the distinct likelihood that people are already shouting for a rebuild of Unreal. If there is an Unreal project, it would make sense for you to pool most of the resources and cut dev time.
You could probably use the small texture packs from the UTTextures site, as a base for the textures as they are mostly complete.
The small pack is aimed at 32MB GFX, which may be scalable enough for anything capable of running the engine.

If you want to do the full GOTY effect, then you will find the guys in the Chaos project will probably be happy to discuss resources.
They quickly got the forum back online and ready for any Chaos faithful (bad timing, it was offline for the week).
The Relics will be required for the full UT99 experience and Chaos is where we got them :)
Rocket Arena is just a selection of maps with a map-vote system for the RA style multimaps, so does not require specific models.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

UT99 with new engine?
Dream?