UT99 Population

Discussions about UT99
Kanav

UT99 Population

Post by Kanav »

Hey, I was thinking about buying UT99 however given the games age I dont know how big the pop is. Can some give me a rough estimate?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: UT99 Population

Post by Chamberly »

I bought the game + other unreal series like.... 3 x maybe to get most unreal series lol.

For UT99 servers, sometimes around 567+/- Servers and 449+/- Players.
Since some servers are shut down for maintenance or whatever and not all of us know, and some players must've crashed and gotta come back on lol... but as I loaded up my UT browser, this is the estimate that it gave me. Different time will show how many peoples would be on, so it depend on such activity.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Some of the fuckers fake servers are firewall'd out :D

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

noccer wrote: Some of the fuckers fake servers are firewall'd out :D
Oh that's interesting ...how?
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

That is really not much,
i just made some rules for the windows firewall.

I do NOT know if it is safe to just copypaste those keys to your registry.
Handle with care or use the way through your windows firewall settings! (W7: %windir%\system32\WF.msc )

Outgoing rule:

Code: Select all

Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

REG_SZ:
{208546B9-16E9-4E25-B606-51F7EB8DC5B5}

Data:
v2.10|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|RA4=n.n.n.n/255.255.255.0|RA4=n.n.n.n|RA4=n.n.n.n|Name=utfaker|
Incoming rule (To make them never show up in your ut)

Code: Select all

Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

REG_SZ:

{27DB264E-24D5-4157-8A50-4996681DDDF7}

Data: 

v2.10|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|RA4=n.n.n.n/255.255.255.0|RA4=n.n.n.n|Name=utfaker|
Due to security reasons they cannot uplink to the master,
Linux:

iptables -A INPUT -s {THE.FAKER.SERVER.IP} -j DROP
Last edited by noccer on Sun May 11, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You will find a lot of servers are only busy when the clan get together, and the types of games hosted vary from the normal to the insane, so don't let 1 server put you off, if you don't like the style. UT has more variety than most, from real-world weapons and stealth sniping, to flying around on rockets or killing an entire map with a level 5 nuke.

Mostly if you want "community" you'll have to visit the forums, and if you fancy making your own maps, you even get the editor with each Unreal game.
UT has a massive library of addons and maps, so many people actually prefer to play their own personal mix offline against bots (again there are a huge number of bots available)

Poke around these links to get an idea of what UT can give you.
http://ubrowser.333networks.com
http://www.gametracker.com/games/ut/
http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I can assure you there are no fake players on 192.210.143.221. You would also block my website if you add this. So thanks alot man
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

billybill wrote:I can assure you there are no fake players on 192.210.143.221. You would also block my website if you add this. So thanks alot man
You're welcome.

Do you have the 16/10 server?

// Edit. Okay it was Oceaniaut... Yeah no fakes at all!!
(referring to my signature :D)

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:For someone that hosts a master server you should be able to tell the difference? The problem is if people are banned on a server and then try to go to the forums they won't see anything if they add your rule. I'm serious here, this isn't a joke. Why don't you concentrate on detecting real fake player servers? And then have it fix in the list. Instead of telling people to block my website which you are wrong to start with?

Do you have the 16/10 server?
Not any more, they were correctly labelled as bots, and nobody seemed to have a problem with it. I decided on my own that listing bots in the total count was a UT killer. ie UT2004 UT3
(referring to my signature :D)
I often wonder what you are trying to accomplish by taking a quote out of context and display it like that, sure it shows a random glimpse at someone's character, but they can see that themselves if they looked around and then clipped the conversation to one random out of context quote?

Also, WTF is with the bmp file above? I mean why is it a bmp file? That's pretty stupid of you too. lol
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

billybill wrote:For someone that hosts a master server you should be able to tell the difference? The problem is if people are banned on a server and then try to go to the forums they won't see anything if they add your rule. I'm serious here, this isn't a joke. Why don't you concentrate on detecting real fake player servers? And then have it fix in the list. Instead of telling people to block my website which you are wrong to start with?
I am, i just don't bother to remember the server name to every ip and 16/10 is not showing correctly. I just posted the firewall rules that I have. Better thank me for that, maybe you had never known about such a possibility :)
I often wonder what you are trying to accomplish by taking a quote out of context and display it like that, sure it shows a random glimpse at someone's character, but they can see that themselves if they looked around and then clipped the conversation to one random out of context quote?
The out of context quote sounds funny, right? If you see the context around it it sounds very sad.
Also, WTF is with the bmp file above? I mean why is it a bmp file? That's pretty stupid of you too. lol
There is nothing with it, and it is a bitmap because it is a bitmap, and it is not as stupid as "they are called cheaters when they complain" :satan:

Peace man, and don't be so sensitive all the time :)

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I'll explain it for you then,

normal query is set up to send like this

numplayers 5
player 0 \ name0 \ name1
player 1 \ name1 \ name2
player 2 \ name2 \ name3
player 3 \ name3 \ name4
player 4 \ name4 \ name5

if there are spectators, it will skip players and show something like this

numplayers 5
player 0 \ name0 \ name1
player 1 \ name1 \ name2
player 2 \ name2 \ name3
player 3 \ name3 \ name4
player 4 \ name4 \ spectatorname1

the browser will detect any players sent after this IF they are sent, however, gametracker and services like your one will only detect the first 5 sent. Thats why the numplayers value was 16, so all of the bots, that showed as bots, with a 0 ping, and spectators, would hopefully show more accurately. Although I never included spectators in this count it would still send them after the players

As for the quote I was hoping you would give me something to add to mine, the bmp one sounds good. Thanks for editing the ip out though, maybe next time maybe not be so personally outspoken and only post proven ones that 333networks detects?
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

billybill wrote:I'll explain it for you then,

However, now it shows the real and no fake player count and i deleted the ip from the upper firewall rules ;)

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:This does bring up some interesting facts

You blacklisted it on your own firewall because it was 16/10 at one point. Okay forget that for a moment, I forgive you.

Your master server blacklists servers and never gives them a chance to change their ways. If they do decide to change their ways they have to email you to be un-blacklisted. Since you already query servers for 20 days after they stop sending heartbeats maybe you could consider a second (site) list that wouldn't show up in the browser. Like, keep querying them to see if they have changed, but not part of the main list

The other fact you bring up, 16/10, I wanted to edit it to always send the players first, then the bots and spectators. But it requires a slightly higher CPU load. As long as there is some flood protection (which is CPU load itself) then that shouldn't be a problem. TL/DR When I bring the 16/10 servers back they wouldn't be 16/10 any more, will still send everything, but the (player)pawn list would be ordered differently
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

//Edit

Deleted my posting here because lillyboy managed it to bring it OFFtopic.

Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Enough with the thread hijacking !
This thread is supposed to reveal the the popularity of UT, and you 2 just fire-up about fake players all over again.
Maybe this thread may need to be split already ?
What a welcome to a "community" that is, and enough to scare anyone away :(

Due to posting a manually built block list noccer, that makes you responsible for it's content and authenticity.
I update my HOSTS file every month, to make sure I do not retain invalid info.
IPs get re-allocated and some sites stop being a threat.
If you keep this public you will have to update this post every time you update your own, or it may cause problems.

You need to check those IPs before posting to anyone.... and preferably via PM, as the reply to Paper was not relevant to the topic.
You can actually show the concept easily without the specific IPs (just use all zeros or nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn), which is what I would prefer you do here.