I LOVE THE ORIGINAL UNREAL TOURNAMENT!!!

Discussions about UT99
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: I LOVE THE ORIGINAL UNREAL TOURNAMENT!!!

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:We would have still had UEd2, because they would have still needed to upgrade their editing tools
For UE2, maybe, but for a combined Unreal/UT on UE1, I doubt it. UT was made with UEd 1.0 after all. Everything else is just fantasy.
That does not make sense to me.
Yes both Unreal and UT were originally "made" with UEd1, but then they updated both regularly before the "end-of-life".
UEd was on v2 before the last official patches, so both have had a newer official Ed.
More content exists for both games that has been made in UEd2, than was originally made with UEd1.

If it was just the 1 product, we would still have had updates until they made the next engine.
I can't see why if they were limited to the 1 game they would decide not to update the tools they used until the next engine :noidea
The more versions they have, the less reason they have to update the older ones.
Emperor
Average
Personal rank: Rtma Eros Paragon

Post by Emperor »

Been Enjoying it since 2000, the love and support the community makes this game great and it's a solid gameplay, I do love playing with Bots all these years, single most played game for me, thousands of hours on it, tis a shame some maps/mods have poor or no bot support like Siege (last I checked) been playing Nali Weapons VIII + with Stuff swapper replacing Items to make similar but different feel (Like replacing Armour with Apocalypse Juggernaut Armour) that I've been enjoying. :3
Also 8000th Game to date. :D
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

maximdymok wrote:No way new UT is coming out this year, it'll take at least 2 or 3 (4?) years. It's been what, two months now since they began working on it? And we don't even have the most basic thing, movement, figured out. But either way, I hope the whole marketplace with paid mods idea works out.
I keep updated with the new one coming out, with the forums and streams. They have basically a lot done so far, they have movement, the ' basic ' guns, concepts for maps, skins being made and some guns being models along with sounds too.
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
Emperor
Average
Personal rank: Rtma Eros Paragon

Post by Emperor »

'Zac wrote:
maximdymok wrote:No way new UT is coming out this year, it'll take at least 2 or 3 (4?) years. It's been what, two months now since they began working on it? And we don't even have the most basic thing, movement, figured out. But either way, I hope the whole marketplace with paid mods idea works out.
I keep updated with the new one coming out, with the forums and streams. They have basically a lot done so far, they have movement, the ' basic ' guns, concepts for maps, skins being made and some guns being models along with sounds too.
I hope they bring the Skaarj back, sexier then ever! ^.-.^
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

Yeah they probably will, on one stream the Senior Artist which looks at a lot of concept art and sketches and he saw a lot of Skaarjs, he pointed out all of the main features for the Skaarj and what to add and make it look like it's a player and everything, mostly likely there will be.
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Everything will look sexier!

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

We have a separate thread for everything UT4 related.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Dr.Flay wrote:That does not make sense to me.
Yes both Unreal and UT were originally "made" with UEd1, but then they updated both regularly before the "end-of-life".
UEd was on v2 before the last official patches, so both have had a newer official Ed.
More content exists for both games that has been made in UEd2, than was originally made with UEd1.

If it was just the 1 product, we would still have had updates until they made the next engine.
I can't see why if they were limited to the 1 game they would decide not to update the tools they used until the next engine :noidea
The more versions they have, the less reason they have to update the older ones.
All this is fantasy.
In a hypothetical reality where UT would have been an expansion of Unreal, what makes you think they would have needed to update the editor, given that they managed to release two very good games with the old one? What makes you think they would have kept updating the game as long as they did? What makes you think "end of life" would not have been years?
Remember UT is on a improved build of the engine while Unreal is only build 220+. The fact that they updated the engine and the editor is largely due to the fact that UT was their top-line product for such a long time. If they had kept using the old 220+ builds for a combined Unreal/UT, why would they have updated the editor instead of keeping the 2.0 one for newer builds of the engine for licensees or for their new games on build 400+? Remember they never backported UEd 2.0 to Unreal; maybe it was too much of a hassle to do it, or maybe they thought the 220+ engine was too old at that point and they wanted to focus on new builds (which they actually did). Why would that have changed if UT had been just an addition streamline into Unreal's old build?

You could provide a very acceptable answer to any of these questions and I could give acceptable rebuttal to all of them. All this is just fantasy with nothing solid to back it up; as far as we know, they reached a stage where they decided a new editor was needed for their engine which had become much better than the old version used in Unreal. The facts are: Unreal had poor netcode which was overhauled for UT, it had a shaky editor which was overhauled for UT, an engine which was improved for UT, and some of these changes were backported from UT to Unreal. There's no telling anything like that would have happened otherwise.

Unless of course you have inside-knowledge, in which case you should write about it because any information about the sweat on cliffy's brow during the development of UT is welcomed :P
You must construct additional pylons.