Downloaded Mods & Maps......

Discussions about UT99
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: Downloaded Mods & Maps......

Post by ShaiHulud »

In most cases getting these things to work in single player mode can be achieved relatively simply without making changes to your UnrealTournament.ini file - which is generally only required when you want to run those mods on your UT server.

Having placed all of the mod files in their respective directories:
- any file ending with .u into your UnrealTournament\System folder
- any file ending with .umx into your UnrealTournament\Music folder
- any file ending with .utx into your UnrealTournament\Textures folder
- any file ending with .unr into your UnrealTournament\Maps folder
- any file ending with .umx into your UnrealTournament\Music folder
- any file ending with .uax into your UnrealTournament\Sounds folder
- any file ending with .int into your UnrealTournament\System folder

...start UT, go to Multiplayer, then Start New Multiplayer Game. Under the 'Match' tab (which will be selected by default) choose the Game Type that you want - say, Capture The Flag, then - this is the important part:

Click the 'Maps' button and, to include any new maps, look through the left-hand side "Maps Not Cycled" list and double click on any that you want to play. You can also exclude any you don't want to play by double-clicking map names in the list on the right-hand side to switch them to the "Not Cycled" list.

Then, if you want to play a specific mutator - instagib for example, or another you've downloaded - click the 'Mutators' button and double-click the mutator name in the "Mutators Not Used" list that you want to include. As with maps, you can double-click a mutator in the right-hand side list to exclude it from the game.

Then modify any other settings that you want to change for your match under the other tabs (Rules, Settings, etc.), and click the Start button to the lower-right. Don't choose "Dedicated" - that will start a UT server process, but you won't be able to interact with it unless you start *another* copy of UT and then search for it under "LAN Servers".
Last edited by ShaiHulud on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Jesus, who handed out the cactus anal inserts? You guys need to loosen up.
papercoffee wrote:
jimlp12 wrote:... I'm a 64 yr old white male...
Don't colour everyone with the same brush, because you jump to conclusions to early this way.
Go back and reread my post. *Of course* I wouldn't say that to someone who is 64. How many teens are traipsing around in an RV anyway? The entire post was meant firmly as a joke (did no one get it? Really?). He's not even going to know what 9gag is, lol. That's why I suggested he emailed me and I'll chat with him on his time and his schedule and get him all fixed up. You bunch of white knight defenders....God forbid some young girl comes in here, there will be nothing but knock-down drag out slamfests to 'preserve her honor'.
billybill wrote:Sort of funny hearing a cancer survivor talking about a disabled person like that.
Dumbass, you ought to know better. And don't use that against me, it's off limits.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I don't know what a RV is...
And yes sometimes can even "I" misunderstand a joke ...so ... *cough* ... hm ...nice weather, isn't it?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:I don't know what a RV is...
And yes sometimes can even "I" misunderstand a joke ...so ... *cough* ... hm ...nice weather, isn't it?
So nice... for a traveler.

For paper: house on wheels! :D
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

No I think the joke was missed.
Unfortunately sarcasm tends not to translate well in text form.

Please stay on topic everyone.

I understand the problem of using a mobile connection, as I was living in the middle of nowhere with my dog, in a small caravan, with no running water.
I found Opera turbo mode helped to save me a massive amount of data use, and disabling all advertising, also helps.
Downloading something you cannot use, hurts your wallet. This is something I know very well.

There are not many server-only mods, and the ones that are, are usually not a game, weapon or map.

The extra entries you see in the [Engine.GameEngine] section will have been added by any UMOD installers you used.
This is normal for all users, as it allows you to host a game with your choice of mods, to another player connected to your PC.
Unless you get a friend visiting with a laptop for a LAN game, it is not much use to you.
You can remove any you don't want, but the demo recorder relies on the list to recreate any matches or you see (or don't) missing items, skins or models.
I never host games, but I always make sure my ServerPackages= contains all the main mods and skins I use.

Some bigger mods (often called "total-mods"), will require you to launch the game via an alternative EXE or shortcut icon.
Thievery, Killing Grounds, Jungle Warfare, NeoCairo, AirFightUT, Full Infiltration etc. do not list gamemodes or maps in the normal UT interface, and must be launched from a custom icon.

Old Infiltration adds itself as a "Category" in the practice GUI.
Chaos, Monster Hunt, Rocket Arena and Pop them friggin balloons, all appear as "Game Type"
Actually Jungle Warfare does list a few limited modes in normal UT as Game Types.
Other mods are completely added by use of a Mutator, or available as mutator and game type (such as Chaos).
Nali Weapons 3 is all in the form of a mutator (even though it could easily be it's own game type).
Most weapon/pickup packs are added as a mutator, so you can use them in any game type.

If you see you are installing maps that do not begin with "DM-" "CTF-" "DOM-" "AS-" "KOTH", then you will be needing to make sure you have that game type installed.
eg. until you install Monster Hunt, UT will not show any of the maps, even if all the correct files are present.

If you give us a few example of the mods you are having a problem with, we can advise specific solutions.
You will find many other users of this site that never play online, even though they can (I rarely do, but I don't get much chance anyway)
BTW. Some sites I have found Unreal mods mixed with UT mods, and mostly they do not work, so there is another possibility there.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
JackGriffin wrote:Jesus, who handed out the cactus anal inserts? You guys need to loosen up.
billybill wrote:Sort of funny hearing a cancer survivor talking about a disabled person like that.
Dumbass, you ought to know better. And don't use that against me, it's off limits.
Was that sarcastic too? I seriously thought you missed his age in his other post and the disabled part as well. Taking into account one of my friends is a disabled gamer, and there's not much else you can do when you are paralyzed from the neck down. So excuse my emotional response. I wouldn't use something like that against you. If it makes you feel better I have health issues myself
jimlp12 wrote: I'll look elsewhere for the knowledge...
There's a couple other places but here was probably the best you'll get, good luck anyway
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

hmmm...

maps/mods installation how-to?

in short the .zip files have usually a variety of files including ;

.u
.utx
.umx
.uax

in order they go into the following folders under your Untealtournament/(folders)

.u files go into the System (folder)
.int also into System (folder)

.utx are textures and go into the Textures folder

.umx are music files and go into (you guessed it) the Music folder

.uax files are sound effects and go into the Sounds folder.

usually for map downloads this will allow you to play these maps without need to edit your ut.in

mods however are a little different and may require either ServerActors / ServerPackages to be manually added to your ut.in

but most will show in your mutator tab when you goto start practice session (settings)

learning something like mapvotela13 (mod) is good for this sort of thing.. as you can pre-define various game types to enjoy under a voting system.. so you can switch between game types DM / CTF SIMPLY BY PRESSING M key.
you can also make small changes like air control , number bots , tinelimits and mods.

hope this helps.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote:No I think the joke was missed.
Unfortunately sarcasm tends not to translate well in text form.
billybill wrote:Was that sarcastic too? I seriously thought you missed his age in his other post and the disabled part as well.
So it wasn't only me, who didn't get the joke... ok, I'm relieved.