Rizbef's Castle Maps Reviews

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Rizbef's Castle Maps Reviews

Post by EvilGrins »

rizbef wrote:CTF-DesertFox
Finally, after a long trek, I found the blue base. So far I'd only seen 1 enemy player.
I tend to play that map with no less than a total (bots + me) of 12 players at least. So my team can use the main 2 defense positions, among other things.

When you tested the map, how many players did you have on it?

From my edit, I've got a powerful TeamMonster-pupae guarding each castle's flag:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Post by rizbef »

EvilGrins wrote:
rizbef wrote:CTF-DesertFox
Finally, after a long trek, I found the blue base. So far I'd only seen 1 enemy player.
I tend to play that map with no less than a total (bots + me) of 12 players at least. So my team can use the main 2 defense positions, among other things.

When you tested the map, how many players did you have on it?
I used 16. I forgot to balance teams, but the blue team still had 7 players.

I'm probably going to beef up the last 6-7 reviews when I get a chance. I've been busy lately and they were all lacking.

:flag4:

Hellkeeper wrote:
rizbef wrote:My Editor loads up with a white screen, is that even what it's supposed to look like?
You are now a recipient of the "Polar bear in snowstorm" award: your viewports are all white. This is the oldest and most well-known but in UEd, and Google will return thousands of results for that problem.

Hit View => Viewport => Configure and select tha first, 4 panel configuration. Tadam, it's fixed. :D
Edit: Okay, I figured out you have to close all viewports first, then configure.

I am blinding stumbling my way through the editor! Trying to follow tutorials, though most seem to be how to build a map, not just look at it.

Double Edit:

So randomly clicking things... I managed to figure out how to zoom out and see the wireframe, but I don't know how to zoom in?

GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Hold left mousebotton in 3d field and drag your mouse forward. In the 2d fields you must hold both mousebuttons and drag your mouse forward or backwards to zoom in
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

GenMoKai wrote:Hold left mousebotton in 3d field and drag your mouse forward. In the 2d fields you must hold both mousebuttons and drag your mouse forward or backwards to zoom in
Thanks a lot!

Edit: Sort of figured out how to go up and down in the 3d grid, holding both buttons. But it seems to only work half the time I try. Is wireframe the best way to look at the layout (how rooms connect etc)?

This next map review is going to have so many UE screenshots because I'm a dork with a new toy :loool:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OMG, I opened Pandora's Box...

j/k :mrgreen: keep it up.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

DM-Blast Castle

Originally conceived as a single-player map, Blast Castle consists of a small castle enclosed by a moat, high cliffs, and hills, and there is also a tunnel running from the hills to a waterfall in the side of a cliff.

Read More

============================================================================================

DM-SOT-DanesCastle

Unfortunately, this map is way, way too dark on my laptop for me to give a full, proper review. I will review what I can, and I have brightened the screenshots I took, as to better assess the map. From what I can see, this looks like a fantastic castle made for sniping.

Read More

============================================================================================

Sorry I can't see your map, Dane. It looks pretty sweet though :oops:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

You really picked some dark ones, rizbef :tongue: .
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGecko wrote:You really picked some dark ones, rizbef :tongue: .
Well, you know... ancient times = not a lot of electric power, so no lightbulbs.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

EvilGrins wrote:
UnrealGecko wrote:You really picked some dark ones, rizbef :tongue: .
Well, you know... ancient times = not a lot of electric power, so no lightbulbs.
Yeah, Gecko, both of those were pretty dark. But... I do plan on reviewing all the castle/arch/temple/etc maps I can, even if they are too dark, have no bot support, or are just not well-made. So far, the maps I've done are pretty good, but there are some lesser ones on my list later on.

And Grins, maybe Liandri should finance some electrical wiring when they acquire these old places :lol:

Edit:
My next map crashed UE :?

EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

rizbef wrote:My next map crashed UE :?
Which one was that?
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

EvilGrins wrote:
rizbef wrote:My next map crashed UE :?
Which one was that?
FragginsteinCastle. It's the only one I've had trouble with so far.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

That is one of Hooks famous old maps :D
http://www.frontiernet.net/~hook8/MapDownloads.htm
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/maps ... -t103.html
I'm not sure if he has done an update since.

....I just grabbed a fresh copy and opened it fine.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

Been busy and haven't had much time to review maps... I had been waiting to finish RimeIsle and post 3 reviews at once, but oh well.

=================================================================================================================

DM-FragginsteinCastle

As HOOK says (in the readme), this map is a fun map! The castle looks like a typical medeival-style building on the outside, but inside, it's a maze of towers and rooms. Four towers surround the main room, but underneath the castle lies a secret! Outside, a moat and many trees decorate the yard, but don't fall into the water... carnivorous fish might eat you!

Read More

=================================================================================================================

DM-CastleFrankenstein

"The Liandri Corporation wanted to add another arena to the existing ones. Liandri looked at many ideas but none of them were really original like a spaceship or an ancient temple. Except one, the idea of the ressurection of the original Castle of Frankenstein. Because this castle was to complex to fit any type of arena, they made it more compact, so it would prove a typical Deathmatch arena. The Liandri Corporation chose the building site to be in France, were was enough room to build it."
-from the readme

Read More

===
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

CTF-RimeIsle100

"For centuries, the tale of a magical island with healing springs and a demonic guardian was thought to be only an old Norse myth. Yet in the mid 24th century, the discovery of Rime Isle turned the legend into a reality. A powerful Maelstrom capable of crushing a battleship flanks the island's south eastern tip and is responsible for the electrical interference that cloaked the island well into modern times."

Read More

Sorry for not posting much in the last several months... I work a lot these days and have been pursuing other hobbies, and until a few days ago, I hadn't played UT in almost 5 months! I will try to pick up again with my 'reviews' but they will probably continue to be short and more informative than great. I'm thinking of just calling it a Directory or something... a collection etc.

I still have a TON of maps to go through, but hopefully I'll be playing more in the coming days. I just made a new voicepack and have been playing to test it out, so I will knock out a few more reviews sometime this week. :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Great to see you back, ya ol' castle crasher. :mrgreen: