Rizbef's Castle Maps Reviews

Discussions about UT99
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Re: Rizbef's Castle Maps Reviews

Post by rizbef »

'Zac wrote:You should really take a look at a CTF/Siege map called CTF-RimeIsle!
It's an amazing looking map with cool fort/castle like bases. I tried to find it but no luck.
Also, you should download the ThieveryUT mod, they have very good looking maps and they might be good looking maps for you!
I have it! :mrgreen: That map is fantastic. I'll bump it up near the top of the list.
"CTF-RimeIsle100" - you can download it at gamefront if you're looking for it
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

CTF-Conquest ...I can't remember the skybox was THAT ugly ...have to check this.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

CTF-EpicBoy

I didn't know if I should tag this as a castle, or just architecture... so I tagged it as both. This map is a relatively small castle-ish battleground with some wicked serious details. I know this map came out with Bonus Pack 4 so most people won't be looking for it, but it has sweet architecture and was a suggestion, so here's a review.

Read More

==================================================================================================

CTF-Faces-of-Pharaohs

Mountains, caves, and waterfalls separate two Egyptian-themed castle forts. The map may be large but it is certainly not boring. All the weapons you need and a few power-ups can be found inside the castle stronghold.

Read More

==================================================================================================

CTF-GreatWallXL

An old great wall separates two sides of a deep valley. There isn't much cover in this huge map, so you'd better watch out for snipers.

Read More

CTF-HillForts

Two opposing forts sit in a deep mountainous valley. This map is similar to CTF-DesertFox, and they were actually designed by the same mapper.

Read More

CTF-Kingdoms][

"This is a very large area map with two opposing kingdoms. The map and gameplay are based on a hybrid design of our original popular map Kingdoms, with the art and buildings from LavaGiant."
-Starman

Read More

Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

I'm a bit disapoointed. The reviews are more of a series of screenshots with a very short blurb. I guess the most vital info is there but it's a bit underwhelming. Don't stop however: it's not because it's not what I expected that it's not nice :)
You must construct additional pylons.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

Hellkeeper wrote:I'm a bit disapoointed. The reviews are more of a series of screenshots with a very short blurb. I guess the most vital info is there but it's a bit underwhelming. Don't stop however: it's not because it's not what I expected that it's not nice :)
Hey thanks for the feedback. I have been busy lately and cramming the reviews in my free time, so they may have suffered a bit. Also, I'm not a mapper myself so I don't pick up on the technical bsp/texture errors and things like that...

However I am trying to give good screenshots and information about the map, so, any suggestions on what I should add or elaborate on? Things you'd like to read more about in my reviews?

:D
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Screenshots are fine, especially since you provide so much, this part is well covered.
I don't have a general list of things I want, and all maps don't need to be reviewed the same way, but a general idea of the map's layout would be nice. Not a room-by-room description but even something has simple as "this takes the two Face bases and puts them at each end of a long rectangular field with a few hills" would do. Surprisingly, no matter how many screenshots people provide, it's always hard to picture the general shape of a level. A couple comments on what you like/dislike in terms of visuals would be cool too. Nothing big, just a few comments when needed. Right now I find it a bit flat because it's a long list of screenshots and then a few lines to describe the shots and how the map plays with bots.

Whatever you take from this, keep up the good work :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Maybe should you open the map in UEd and make a overview shot ...this picture can be tagged with symbols or simply A, B, C which refer to your screenshots. Something like this.

Just an idea ...and maybe is it easier said than done.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

Hellkeeper wrote:Screenshots are fine, especially since you provide so much, this part is well covered.
I don't have a general list of things I want, and all maps don't need to be reviewed the same way, but a general idea of the map's layout would be nice. Not a room-by-room description but even something has simple as "this takes the two Face bases and puts them at each end of a long rectangular field with a few hills" would do. Surprisingly, no matter how many screenshots people provide, it's always hard to picture the general shape of a level. A couple comments on what you like/dislike in terms of visuals would be cool too. Nothing big, just a few comments when needed. Right now I find it a bit flat because it's a long list of screenshots and then a few lines to describe the shots and how the map plays with bots.

Whatever you take from this, keep up the good work :tu:
papercoffee wrote:Maybe should you open the map in UEd and make a overview shot ...this picture can be tagged with symbols or simply A, B, C which refer to your screenshots. Something like this.

Just an idea ...and maybe is it easier said than done.
This is most challenging because I can't get my Editor to even open a map... The only thing I know how to do in Unreal Editor is make a voicepack, and even that is a pain because I have to do it all at once since my Editor will only play sounds imported right then and there.

My Editor loads up with a white screen, is that even what it's supposed to look like?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

rizbef wrote: My Editor loads up with a white screen, is that even what it's supposed to look like?
No definitely not... try to reset your view-ports.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

rizbef wrote:My Editor loads up with a white screen, is that even what it's supposed to look like?
You are now a recipient of the "Polar bear in snowstorm" award: your viewports are all white. This is the oldest and most well-known but in UEd, and Google will return thousands of results for that problem.

Hit View => Viewport => Configure and select tha first, 4 panel configuration. Tadam, it's fixed. :D
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

Thanks for your help, guys! I'll try that tomorrow and see if I can open some maps in UE and get layout shots. It would help both readers and me get a good look.

One more review before bedtime!

===========================================================================================

DM-AYetiIceCastle][

This ice palace looks like something out of a fairytale, with a bit of sci-fi invading the scene. The aliens who landed on this glacier are long gone, and so is the Yeti who lived in the castle.

Read More

====
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

CTF-TempleOfDawn
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... mpleOfDawn

Revelation's awesome CTF map, but might require a better machine for this.
Also not sure if it is Castle theme like.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Awesome map indeed. Got an error running it with NW3 though.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

That last review was cool! Funny map.
rizbef
Experienced

Post by rizbef »

Rocky wrote:CTF-TempleOfDawn
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... mpleOfDawn

Revelation's awesome CTF map, but might require a better machine for this.
Also not sure if it is Castle theme like.
Added both to the list! If a map is too much for my laptop to handle, I'll just make a short review stating exactly that :lol: