Some noobquestions

Discussions about UT99
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Some noobquestions

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

As mentioned in my introducion here are some noob questions.
First of all where do i get all the "important" stuff and are there any download-packs i need? Nearly every server i try to join downloads tons of stuff.

My other question is related to dodging. I already read through the forums but i don't seem to find an answer about how to use forward dodging it in an intelligent way. Dodging itself is no issue for me as long as i do a left or right dodge.
But when playing online i see a lot people who use forward-dodge pretty often. And boy, it's hard. It's really hard for me to add it to my "movementstyle" because i already use left and right dodging all the time and im used to it. I got to force myself to do a forward dodge instead and most of time it will get me killed.
Even if i spectate good players it doesn'T seem to make sense for me. They seem to use forward dodge at places where i would be more confortable dooing a left dodge instead. Whats the point of it and how do i get myself using it in a "good" way?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Some noobquestions

Post by papercoffee »

Packages:
Did you got all official bonus packs?
What server do you try to join.
Server dedicated to a special (not default) gameplay have many custom stuff hosted.

Dodging:
Simple solution... Training! ;)
I'm also not used to dodge forward ...even backward is not easy for me. It has to do with your mindset and what you are used to play. I think BT player are more used to dodge in any direction then DM player.

But this thread is no tutorial. I move it to the "General Discussions" section.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Just a note that side dodging while moving forward looks like forward dodging with the flip and everything. Try it in behindview
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

papercoffee wrote:Packages:
Did you got all official bonus packs?
What server do you try to join.
Server dedicated to a special (not default) gameplay have many custom stuff hosted.
But this thread is no tutorial. I move it to the "General Discussions" section.
Yup i did get all the bonus packs (4 packs am i right?)
In general servers seem to have a lot of stuff i don't have
But the worst are Monsterhunt Servers the download on each server takes ages. I already got the mod but it was only around 5mb size.
Sorry about the wrong section, thought Tutorials tips and tricks are somewhat releated.
billybill wrote:Just a note that side dodging while moving forward looks like forward dodging with the flip and everything. Try it in behindview
uhmm doesn't seem like it. Are you sure about that?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Yes, I am. Do it off of a cliff or a ledge so you can see the forward flip animation. I know I am having the same thing with this on default installs at the moment, and am blaming my high hertz keyboards

Are you sure those files are only 5mb? A lot of MH servers run NW3 which is better downloaded separately. You'll need to set your cache purge days to ensure you don't download them all again in 30 days, zero should make it unlimited
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

billybill wrote: Are you sure those files are only 5mb? A lot of MH servers run NW3 which is better downloaded separately. You'll need to set your cache purge days to ensure you don't download them all again in 30 days, zero should make it unlimited
http://www.moddb.com/mods/monster-hunt/ ... -v503-umod
Thats the one i got.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

This is the newest and most used version on many server.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/monsterhunt2/downloads
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

papercoffee wrote:This is the newest and most used version on many server.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/monsterhunt2/downloads
thank you i got the "gold" version you linked i hope thats the right one. It'S at least bigger than 5mb now :D
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

I began playing UT on instagib-only servers and it was de rigueur to master forward dodging in that environment. I don't actually remember consciously learning how to do it, someone just indicated to me that I'd adopted it into my movement pattern at some point.

I only picked up side dodging when I started playing BT many years later after it was demonstrated, in an undeniable way (I was a sceptic up until that point), that side-dodging gives faster movement. Which is all important in that game mod, of course.

The trick with front-flipping - I find anyway - goes something like this. Just before you double-tap your forward key, press and hold one of your side movement keys. I usually hold my "strafe left" button down as I double tap my forward key. Obviously this will pull you slightly to one side, so you have to compensate by turning your mouse a little bit with each dodge. And you continue to press your forward key between each double-tap.
Urgh, that's probably not very easy to visualise, but it's the technique I've always used.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Dodging has been normal with the front/back/left/right. Just double tap on your keyboard where your movement are (wasd for example) and you'll notice.

I actually learned to advance my dodging by playing bunnytrack. Feel free to check out some BT videos on youtube. I guess this is all I can say.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

Chamberly wrote:Dodging has been normal with the front/back/left/right. Just double tap on your keyboard where your movement are (wasd for example) and you'll notice.
I know how to dodge. Just forward is pretty hard to do and i don't know when it's better to for example perform a forward jump instead a left/right dodge. I find myself spaming dodges in all directions and now im worse than before with my left/right only dodges :omfg:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I added my resource for updates and enhancements to your introduction thread http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=32& ... 119#p68119
Hope you find them useful
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Alcoholodeck16 wrote:
Chamberly wrote:Dodging has been normal with the front/back/left/right. Just double tap on your keyboard where your movement are (wasd for example) and you'll notice.
I know how to dodge. Just forward is pretty hard to do and i don't know when it's better to for example perform a forward jump instead a left/right dodge. I find myself spaming dodges in all directions and now im worse than before with my left/right only dodges :omfg:
Well practice movement will help. You can ask anyone in any bt server to help you for the dodging skills if they are around. I can help as well but that's up to you, as I think it just mainly about the practice of doing it right instead of doing dodges in wrong direction haha.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

Chamberly wrote: Well practice movement will help. You can ask anyone in any bt server to help you for the dodging skills if they are around. I can help as well but that's up to you, as I think it just mainly about the practice of doing it right instead of doing dodges in wrong direction haha.
I might get annoying.. but speaking of BT what the f... do i have to do on that "numbers room" in ctf-short-fun ? I feel like i tried all kind of combinations already lol. I already waited for an hour for some player to join and tell me. But the only dude who joined had no clue neither haha.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

you may want to play BT on a non PRO server to get the help you need.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB