Windowed mode smoother than Fullscreen?

Discussions about UT99
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Windowed mode smoother than Fullscreen?

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

Hi folks.
I usually solve my UT problems by myself, and most of the times I make it. But this one seems to go beyond my knowledge.
I've had these problems nowadays:

Using D3D9 (smoothest renderer on my machine aside D3D10 that works no longer for unknown reason - Before anyone asks, I didn't modify any renderer as I don't know how to) runs just fine, like a charm. Problem is, framerate seems a little lower in Fullscreen than in Windowed mode. But I play all games in Fullscreen, as I find it frustrating to play in windowed mode (also because it's dark-ish). All of this applies with ANY settings I apply.

Using D3D10 (my favorite - OpenGL gives a little low framerate issue with ANY settings - and it's also dark-ish on my machine - I have all drivers updated DAILY) I had a really great time. But something went wrong when I first put D3D11 for experimental use. Since then, UT won't recognize D3D10 and set it as "VideoDriverClassName" on UT's Menu and I find myself playing with Software Rendering (bluh). Useless to mention I had all files related to D3D11 eliminated. And re-installed from scratch D3D10 as well.

So my questions are the following:

1) Is there a way I can make the game in Fullscreen look as smooth as on Windowed mode in D3D9 and if there is so, what is it?

2) Is there a way I can get playing back at D3D10 again, and make UT recognize D3D10 correctly again, and if so, what is it?

Thanks in advance for the replies. I'd really appreciate it: My movement and aim are suffering A LOT from this. Other than I'd have to buy a new mousepad and a new keyboard (little Off-Topic).
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Windowed mode smoother than Fullscreen?

Post by papercoffee »

What graphic card do you have?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

That's so odd to hear. I normally play with D3D9, never had D9D10 or D9D11 (I might not install D11 because I don't want it to give me any problem as well)... to your 2 questions, I don't know. I think I've seen someone had this problem before but never remember who they were.

Hope someone can help you out sir.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

papercoffee wrote:What graphic card do you have?
NVidia GeForce GT 640. 2GB RAM Dedicated. Plus:
Mainboard: ASUS M5A78-LE;
Processor:AMD FX8350 Eight-Core;
RAM:8GB Kingston DDR3.
Chamberly wrote:Hope someone can help you out sir.
Thanks.

Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The int file is not written correctly and it messes the menus. (I'll find my fixes)

Apart from OpenGL, DX9 should give you the fastest performance for the effects you can use.
It runs DX9 functions in DX9 mode and DX9 functions in DX10

DX11 renderer is a "proof of concept" and is the same as the DX10 renderer.
DX10 is slower than DX9 and is only useful if you have extra bumpmap textures in you texture folder.
Then you get to use a DX10 function.
Someone was making a Counter Strike conversion (here somewhere) that would add DX10 effects, but mostly nobody has used any DX10 functionality in Unreal or UT.

Copy and paste these in your current int files

D3D10Drv.int

Code: Select all

[Public]
Object=(Name=D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice,Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.RenderDevice,Autodetect=d3d10.dll)
Preferences=(Caption="Rendering",Parent="Advanced Options")
Preferences=(Caption="Direct3D 10 support",Parent="Rendering",Class=D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice,Immediate=True)

[D3D10RenderDevice]
ClassCaption="Direct3D 10 Support"
AskInstalled=Do you have a DirectX 10 compatible 3D accelerator installed?
AskUse=Do you want Unreal to use your DirectX 10 accelerator?

[Errors]
MissingFunc=Missing Direct3D function %s (%i)
ResFailed=Failed to set resolution
D3D11Drv.int

[Public]
Object=(Name=D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice,Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.RenderDevice,Autodetect=d3d11.dll)
Preferences=(Caption="Direct3D 11 support",Parent="Rendering",Class=D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice,Immediate=True)

[D3D11RenderDevice]
ClassCaption="Direct3D 11 Support"
AskInstalled=Do you have a DirectX 11 compatible 3D accelerator installed?
AskUse=Do you want Unreal Tournament to use your DirectX 11 accelerator?

[Errors]
You will also find a section in you main UT ini with the values used when running in windowed mode. They will be set lower than your fullscreen settings.
Perhaps you need to tone down some of the DX settings, as some will make things slower not better.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

When UT runs in windowed mode, the framerate limit might dissapear. I remeber running UT at 300 fps in windowed. (this might cause glitches)

The problem is that there are a number of latencies here and there.

Your screen might have 50ms latency, the VGA controller in your GPU might also introduce some latency. Your brain also has some latency, everything you experience now happened some milliseconds in the past.

When you put your game in windowed, it goes through different stuff in your OS and is affected by different stuff.

Triple buffering is basically one more frame latency than double buffering. Vsync is also latency, the gpu waits until the screen stopped refreshing to refresh it all at once.
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Dr.Flay wrote:The int file is not written correctly and it messes the menus. (I'll find my fixes)

Apart from OpenGL, DX9 should give you the fastest performance for the effects you can use.
It runs DX9 functions in DX9 mode and DX9 functions in DX10

DX11 renderer is a "proof of concept" and is the same as the DX10 renderer.
DX10 is slower than DX9 and is only useful if you have extra bumpmap textures in you texture folder.
Then you get to use a DX10 function.
Someone was making a Counter Strike conversion (here somewhere) that would add DX10 effects, but mostly nobody has used any DX10 functionality in Unreal or UT.

Copy and paste these in your current int files

D3D10Drv.int

[Public]
Object=(Name=D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice,Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.RenderDevice,Autodetect=d3d10.dll)
Preferences=(Caption="Direct3D 10 support",Parent="Rendering",Class=D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice,Immediate=True)

[D3D10RenderDevice]
ClassCaption="Direct3D 10 Support"
AskInstalled=Do you have a DirectX 10 compatible 3D accelerator installed?
AskUse=Do you want Unreal to use your DirectX 10 accelerator?

[Errors]
D3D11Drv.int

[Public]
Object=(Name=D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice,Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.RenderDevice,Autodetect=d3d11.dll)
Preferences=(Caption="Direct3D 11 support",Parent="Rendering",Class=D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice,Immediate=True)

[D3D11RenderDevice]
ClassCaption="Direct3D 11 Support"
AskInstalled=Do you have a DirectX 11 compatible 3D accelerator installed?
AskUse=Do you want Unreal Tournament to use your DirectX 11 accelerator?

[Errors]
You will also find a section in you main UT ini with the values used when running in windowed mode. They will be set lower than your fullscreen settings.
Perhaps you need to tone down some of the DX settings, as some will make things slower not better.
I tried everything mentioned. Nothing worked, neither for D3D9 nor for D3D10.
Everything but this one:
Dr.Flay wrote:You will also find a section in you main UT ini with the values used when running in windowed mode
I didn't understand which values are you referring to. Maybe a little code might help? Thanks in advance. :help:

EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Interesting, I use Nvidia too but for me the Windowed version always looks choppier and not as smooth as actually playing UT in the game itself.

Go figure.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

And what's most annoying is I run UT3 MUCH smoother than UT1...In fullscreen mode.
I don't get why the hell smoothness in Fullscreen is lower in UT1 on my machine...with every renderer!

noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

A friend of mine used low resolution for UT

That was the real smoooothiiiiest smooothness at smoothi 800x600. No joke, if it wouldn't look a bit strange it is worth to be used.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Sorry, but that didn't work.

But I found out (thanks to that) that it might be related to the refresh rate: In Fullscreen refresh rate is lower, also making the fast turning a bit "sliced", and also makes pulsing lights be "sliced" as well. This doesn't happen in Window mode. Even if framerate is the same.
Any way I can get a higher refresh rate on Fullscreen mode?

Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Check these 2 sections
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
[SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderDevice]

Also you can change the renderer used for window display in the [Engine.Engine] section.
When you swap to windowed mode, it will use whatever is set there. I changed mine so all my UT windows use the same renderer I play with.
WindowedRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

I had it solved, for a little.
I set resolution to 1920x1080 (my monitor's) and framerate went just fine, after I restored renderer defaults.
I re-opened UT again, and there it is, still harassing me. And now, with the addition of DirectInput always True, even if I disable it...Buh...

-=EDIT=-

I fixed that too without knowing how (lol), game is now pretty much smooth. It's enough for me.
Now I got some screen tearing problems (which are driving me mad). I was suggested to enable VSync (duh) and Triple Buffering. I Enabled both (even if VSync is set to "Adaptive" via NVidia control panel), but I still have some screen tearing (Effect most noticeable on pulsing lights).

How do I fix that?