How to avoid accidental dodging?

Discussions about UT99
Patrol1985
Novice

How to avoid accidental dodging?

Post by Patrol1985 »

Hello everyone!

I have a question about dodging in UT99. I very often happen to dodge accidentally, even despite setting the double-tap time as high as possible ("3"). Those happen to be very random too, because sometimes I try to FORCE this "accidental dodge" by tapping my keys at random (i.e. wasdswadsa, but very fast) and nothing happens. However, on other occasions I run forward, tap a strafe button ONCE and the dodge gets executed.

Has anyone encountered this problem and knows what to do? Is there any way to further increase the double-tap time? I tried to use higher values in the .ini file, but the game reverts back to "3".

Thanks in advance for your help.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: How to avoid accidental dodging?

Post by papercoffee »

When you increase the DT time is it much easier to actually hit it ... the opposite is your solution.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I've had that as well. I think the original dodge tap time is 30, and some try to use 25 because they are a little slow. How about 31 or 35 if it make any difference?

I'm a regular bt player so I know how bad it can be lol.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

May need to clean the keyboard too. Nothing is quite as humbling as flipping your keyboard over and banging it once against the table a couple of times. It's amazing the shit that accumulates under the keys.

Try binding movement to a mouse key and test your dodging and see if that behaves differently. If it works right then you know it's your keyboard (Occam's razor and all).
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Patrol1985
Novice

Post by Patrol1985 »

papercoffee wrote:When you increase the DT time is it much easier to actually hit it ... the opposite is your solution.
This appears to have been the problem! I reduced DodgeClickTime in user.ini from 0.3000 to 0.1575 and it seems to work like a charm! Thank you!!!

I'd also like to thank everyone else who wrote here, I was surprised at how quick you replied. My keyboard is clean, but only because I had it changed to a new one literally 2 weeks ago due to an incident involving a bottle of water and a lot of clumsiness :P
z4tan
Novice

Post by z4tan »

You can use this... "Q=Toggle bDodging" for disable dodge, and press again for reactive dodge...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I'm glad that it works now. ;) happy fragging.

Oh ...noticed it just now. This thread is in the wrong section.
Moved.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

JackGriffin wrote:May need to clean the keyboard too. Nothing is quite as humbling as flipping your keyboard over and banging it once against the table a couple of times. It's amazing the shit that accumulates under the keys.

Try binding movement to a mouse key and test your dodging and see if that behaves differently. If it works right then you know it's your keyboard (Occam's razor and all).

People at work eat at their desk, and I do this for them.. its quite disgusting the crap that falls out.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

When you have a beard or are used to stoking your hair, it gets worse. I spilled coffee several times on my keyboard, and with the years, hair became embedded. My keyboard has a beard now.
You must construct additional pylons.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Hellkeeper wrote: My keyboard has a beard now.
That didn't come from your face. You know it, I know it, we all know it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I suspect the WASD + mouse might be what's killing you on the excessive dogdes, but I'm primarily a keyboard player... only use the mouse for sniping.

I use the NumberPad for movement, where the movement keys are further apart from each other than the WASD allows and as to the dodging, I only use it for moving faster in certain parts of my UT and not so much for dodging.

Have you ever considered re-assigning your movement keys so they're not so close together?
JackGriffin wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote: My keyboard has a beard now.
That didn't come from your face. You know it, I know it, we all know it.
Indeed, they came from Chuck Norris. Everything he touches has a beard... even his beard has its own beard!

And underneath that other beard, is a fist.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

@Grins
It's already solved!!!
Patrol1985 wrote:
papercoffee wrote:When you increase the DT time is it much easier to actually hit it ... the opposite is your solution.
This appears to have been the problem! I reduced DodgeClickTime in user.ini from 0.3000 to 0.1575 and it seems to work like a charm! Thank you!!!