15 years ago today.....

Discussions about UT99
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: 15 years ago today.....

Post by Dr.Flay »

Now that is a folder that would browse well in Shareaza !

.... I am ashamed to admit... I did not notice . . . I share my birthday with UT :oops:

Quake 3 Arena was the game I was playing first, but as I had use of the server at work, they both ran at top speed.
UT had more variety and soon dragged me in.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Carbon wrote:@FraGnBraG: Looks like you have a nice organized collection! By mapper...I'm impressed!
And with a nice "Hourances" instead of "Hourences" :p
You must construct additional pylons.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

In the years 1999 or 2000 i did bought this goty version of ut.
I do remember some maps from that days especialy beer wars and coca cola wars with pepsie.
In the mean time we where some fraggin on the demo version 348.
Happy anniversary unreal tournament.
Your still the best game for me and Always will be.
@fragnbrag i think i did play them all.

btw nice article about ut. :rock: :gj:

regardz:rjmno1

sorry about bad english.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote: .... I am ashamed to admit... I did not notice . . . I share my birthday with UT :oops:
Happy Birthday Dude!!!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Carbon wrote:
UnrealGecko wrote:Most (if not all) are available over at UP:
Many are missing. :(

@FraGnBraG: Looks like you have a nice organized collection! By mapper...I'm impressed!
heh, well i'm not actually sure the state of that particular archive/backup - i have a few drives like that... I had a much more organized set of mappacks, mappers, contests etc, but lost all that stuff the last time my HDD crashed. fortunately, i had all these backups so all was not lost, just, reverted to the earlier time before i had cleaned it all up. I have many more maps in "sortme" folders (full of zipfiles, RARs, and even old cache-scoops), and these have not been re-organized into the folders. It's a lot of work to sort maps out, and I do get lazy about "keeping my room clean" :) lately I just just go find a download rather than hunt through disks for some obscure map, so i keep slowly adding to this mess, lol!

Anyways, the ghandi stuff are part a big zip called TehGhandiPack, which is 95Megs. I made the zip at some point to save space, so it is all maps and mods content in folders within the ZIP, not within each maps own zipfile, if you know what i mean. I think he used the NaliCity readmes which state "archive can be distributed but zip must be intact blah blah" so i don't think it's cool for me to put that zip out publicly as it is... I might still have all the individual zips somewhere else on backup - i'll look..
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Repacks like that are where RAR excels, as it uses different compression for the different data.
You can then be quite generous with your recovery record size, so there is a much better chance of salvaging it after corruption or crash.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Happy Birthday Flay! You are in good company.

I set up a shot for the anniversary...couldn't arrange it all into a "15" though.

Last edited by Carbon on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

And most of these discs will never spin. It makes me sad somehow.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Carbon you show off ... :mrgreen:
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

FraGnBraG wrote:I remember seeing it on the shelves when I went to buy Quake III arena and thinking ""these Epic bozos are copying Id". The main games I played at that time were quake, q2, and half-life. I bought unreal in 98 but could never run it very well (~12 fps, tops) and online *sucked* compared to Quake and later on halflife/CS, so naturally I assumed UT99 would run like shit too, lol!

Well I did get UT during 2000 after i upgraded my PC and graphics. Haha, anybody remember "scimitar"!? That big POS was one of the first maps me and my buddies played all the time lol! I did like all those those huge kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms ("revenge of the small" anybody?), and loved downtown maps (like zeitkind, zaltag, urban helicopter wars etc). Also remember there were a lot of ghandi maps around online (burgertime, toy wars, frogger, etc) got me playing CTF regularly - i thought he was some kinda mapper god, that was before I started mapping myself - then I saw his maps for what they really were, lol!) I must have downloaded every map that came through Nali City during 2000-2001, lol :P

I do remember the server browsers at the time (2000-2001) peaked typically around 4000-5000 for both UT99 and Q3... which was a lot compared to nowadays when there's hardly any... Keep things in perspective though - back at that time Half-Life + Counter Srike usually had 50,000-80,000 servers, IIRC, which kinda makes UT99 and even quake3 seem pretty unimportant ...

Here's something I found, which might have been typical in early 2003:

wow half those maps are still played today! we have most of the ghandi maps toy wars bathrooms bedrooms urban helicopter wars all great stuff!

Back in the day 99-2001 worked or a company called netreach which hosted chaos UT servers and it was a ton of fun! miss those days playing at work

happy bday UT99!
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

papercoffee wrote:Carbon you show off ... :mrgreen:
Indeed. Have I no shame....?

:oops:
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

that is an impressive collection...! i can see the "products" that i bought - the first UT I bought was blue with the gold trophy on it, i can see those now :). The unreal game I bought I think was the grey one (but I thought it had a picture of Nali Castle on it... maybe that was on the back - both those games were lost after a while (lent out/stolen etc) Not long after that I bought "Totally Unreal" to get UT and Unreal Gold, etc. Very cool pic!!
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

FraGnBraG wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote:ghandi maps
Can't remember if I know them ...is there any source for it?
Or isn't it worth the effort?
here's a list of ghandi's ut99 stuff ...
you sure you never played any of these?
this is all from 2000-2002 iirc
WOw that kind of sortening by mappers I cant recall all their names,.....ghandi? but that guy wasn't that peaceful guy who told we should not practice the violence?

that mapper doesn't sounds familiar to me....