Dreamcast Character Portraits/Art

Discussions about UT99
DSS
Novice

Dreamcast Character Portraits/Art

Post by DSS »

Hey everyone,
I've seen the PS2 Character Selection art has been posted but was curious if the Dreamcast art has been put up and if so, someone could link me

Looking for characters primarily, all of em if possible
UT99.org

Re: Dreamcast Character Portraits/Art

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:The font on consoles is pretty damn awesome too. The player models were released, and player skins. I know of the player selection screen you speak of and I would guess *maybe* they are the default player 'talk' textures for the models. The HUD (except for font) is ridiculously stupid compared to the PC one, the crosshair is not too bad though and these were released too I believe

I know there's a 'How to make your PC more console-like" thread somewhere with the HUD and crosshair, I forget the name of the guy who ripped the other stuff but shouldn't be hard to find those models. They're from PS2 I doubt there's a difference though
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

billybill wrote:I know there's a 'How to make your PC more console-like" thread somewhere with the HUD and crosshair, I forget the name of the guy who ripped the other stuff but shouldn't be hard to find those models. They're from PS2 I doubt there's a difference though
Ahem... Link is in my signature :D
Thanks for reminding me, I should update that thread with those portraits (mind giving a link for those? I forgot where exactly are they :oops:), and maybe add Rise of Jrath SP Campaign in there.
billybill wrote:The font on consoles is pretty damn awesome too.
Yes it is, and AlCapowned's Console HUD recreations would've had that font used too, but there were problems with it like numbers being eigher too far apart or too close too each other. :(
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Well at least he tried. I was pressuring TheDane to get rid of his pre-made pictures that would come up with "First Blood" etc and replace it with a font. Then make that font configurable. Geez I know I would've made use of custom font import tutorial if it was tweaked a little. I guess he was pre-warned about problems like that. BTW I knew I had seen it in your sig, Gecko and Al Caponed both those names were in my head somewhere and I would've been editing this post but thanks for beating me to it :D

I actually have the dreamcast and PS2 versions of the game and some tools (erm programs) that are able to extract sounds, textures and everything. I'd recommend anyone who cares for this stuff to delve into it. It's not much different to PC version once extracted. Perfect UScript, UScript used to import textures, sounds and everything. Might even hold the key to getting a version higher than 451b on pc although that is all native
DSS
Novice

Post by DSS »

billybill wrote:The font on consoles is pretty damn awesome too. The player models were released, and player skins. I know of the player selection screen you speak of and I would guess *maybe* they are the default player 'talk' textures for the models. The HUD (except for font) is ridiculously stupid compared to the PC one, the crosshair is not too bad though and these were released too I believe

I know there's a 'How to make your PC more console-like" thread somewhere with the HUD and crosshair, I forget the name of the guy who ripped the other stuff but shouldn't be hard to find those models. They're from PS2 I doubt there's a difference though
I thought they were the "talk" textures too, but it turns out they're completely unique - check out 0:50 into this video, the portraits underneath the character models
youtube.com/watch?v=FJWNWA1GaXc

I'm looking to collect the art, not necessarily mod the pc version. Have these been extracted yet? I'd do it myself but I don't own the dreamcast!
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

I was able to get some of the character portraits and selection picutres by running the game with a Dreamcast emulator and ripping the textures with something (it's been so long that I've forgotten what). I have a few of them around somewhere and can get the rest for you, but it might be a few days before I have the time to do it. I also got one of the Dreamcast loading screens and use it as a splash screen.

I've been trying to get ahold of the Dreamcast files so I could compare them to the PS2 files (which I haven't been able to open with the PC version or UTPT). How did you get them, billybill?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I'll have a look. You're probably right though that I was only able to extract the PS2 files. I think I was locked out of the emulator without a valid dashboard image or something like that. Like I said I'll have a look because I do have all of these files somewhere, only it's been a while since I've done anything with 'em
AlCapowned
Experienced

Post by AlCapowned »

I used TexMod to rip the character selection portraits/art. I didn't take the time to rename any of them, and I might be missing something. Anyway, here it is?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3f2fe ... er_Art.zip
DSS
Novice

Post by DSS »

AlCapowned wrote:I used TexMod to rip the character selection portraits/art. I didn't take the time to rename any of them, and I might be missing something. Anyway, here it is?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3f2fe ... er_Art.zip
This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million, Al!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Darn, thought for sure I replied here.....
Had a look at them and some of these are really quite nice, may I add this to the console-to-PC list? :tongue:
AlCapowned
Experienced

Post by AlCapowned »

No problem! Does it look like I missed any of them? There should have been an even number of images, but I think I ended up with an odd number and I'm too lazy to be sure.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Good job, you included one that shouldn't be there. Looks like a translocator disc texture. That would account for the odd number. Still seems like there is more maybe so you might want to do quick re-check. Thanks for this BTW