Monster hunt problems ... :/

Discussions about UT99
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Monster hunt problems ... :/

Post by FraGnBraG »

okay sorry paper no too sure where this should go ... seems monster hunt gametype thread is 4 years since last post so i didn't post there ...

Well I've been burning my way through MH maps these days (yeah, better late than never, lol)

Something i've noticed is the monster hunt HUD counter text is now gone... !?
I'm not sure when this happened, i just noticed it the other day - any ideas?

Thanks
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Monster hunt problems ... :/

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm suspecting an old player issue. I cannot be sure if is that one or not, but let's talk about declaring UT path in registry allowing player to launch game by double-click on a MH map. In this way a player complained that Bots hunt him, lol. Nobody answered and asked the guy to no longer play DM into a MH map. If map doesn't include game-type declaration will start a default DM (as declared in U..T..INI)- this issue is a common one as long as too much people were monkeying into Editor without to know that job. MH is a custom one and even a CTF map will morph into a DM if gets a direct hit, not from menu. If game-type is not MH or if simply a HUD add-on mess up HUD, you cannot see anything MH related on screen, also I can mention screen details settings, usually I bound them to "+" "-" keys.
If you still couldn't see where the problem is coming from, try to detect if game-type currently running is MH using F1. A screen capture might help more.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

FraGnBraG wrote:Something i've noticed is the monster hunt HUD counter text is now gone... !?
Screenshot it so we can see what you mean.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

sektor2111 wrote:I'm suspecting an old player issue. I cannot be sure if is that one or not, but let's talk about declaring UT path in registry allowing player to launch game by double-click on a MH map. In this way a player complained that Bots hunt him, lol. Nobody answered and asked the guy to no longer play DM into a MH map. If map doesn't include game-type declaration will start a default DM (as declared in U..T..INI)- this issue is a common one as long as too much people were monkeying into Editor without to know that job. MH is a custom one and even a CTF map will morph into a DM if gets a direct hit, not from menu. If game-type is not MH or if simply a HUD add-on mess up HUD, you cannot see anything MH related on screen, also I can mention screen details settings, usually I bound them to "+" "-" keys.
If you still couldn't see where the problem is coming from, try to detect if game-type currently running is MH using F1. A screen capture might help more.
hmm, okay, i'll dig in some more - I should say that monster hunt _IS_ running on all these maps, as i am starting them normally from the UT practice session menu and see all the MH waypoint messages etc. So the problem is not "starting map in DM mode". I did check the versions of the monster hunt .u and .int files, just in case i overwrote them when installing maps - i have been unzipping/installing a LOT of MH maps... i wonder if i introduced something bad along the way? if that is even possible...

Anyways, i'll get back in a bit... :)

Thanks guys
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

FraGnBraG wrote:Something i've noticed is the monster hunt HUD counter text is now gone... !?
By counter, do you mean "time remaining"? Because if that's it, that's optional. It's in the game options, you can choose that.

If something else, then I got no clue.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

FraGnBraG wrote:session menu and see all the MH waypoint messages etc
If are mission messages then HUD got screwed by some extension. MH 5.04 has even info attached which waypoint is touched, else you might experiment a relic type PowerUp designed for MH5.04 as an alternate option for a new Engine which has just opened gates to creativity.
Topic is here:
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/stuf ... t2544.html
In case of alternate download location:

I don't have installed any HUD or crosshair extension which is done for DM - default HUD. Is easy to mess up HUD with such mutators.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

EvilGrins wrote:
By counter, do you mean "time remaining"? Because if that's it, that's optional. It's in the game options, you can choose that.

If something else, then I got no clue.
no not "time-remaining", but rather the default white text that appears in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen that says
(and i quote :)

Lives: 999
Hunters: 6
Monsters: 78

And is updated as you proceed through the map... and it also gets wanky when creature-factories are used because the number of monsters shown starts going up and down, lol, which seems buggy to me :P Anyway, the fact it's just poof disappeared (for no reason) is pretty odd...!?
So now when I load a map that i played last week (and the text was working then) the text is not there now. the map still works, and i get MH messages (for example - if i kill the the two energy beams in LostInTime to open the big portal to go to off into dino-land) i see the messages telling me the portal is now open, etc etc... and subsequently "Found a stone..." and blah blah..

From what i'm hearing it's sounding like the game type might be in a broken state these days?

hmm, i still have about about another 150 maps to get through ...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Oh (bottom left) that:
Well, that's optional. Just like on a standard HUD, you can remove certain elements. Either select ones or general ones, although the "Lives" isn't always there.

It's under Options / Preferences / HUD

I forget what it's specifically listed as, but it's the same thing as whatever the point spread, statistics things is, in Deathmatch games:
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

@sektor2111
Have you tried SiegeIV_0016?
You may want to use some HUD characteristics from there, like the game timer which is far better than the one UTPure uses.

(Cham's server has it if you don't want to install it)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

okay i give up... ! :/

@eg - i'm affraid this counter stuff is _not_ controlled at all by preferences. It is specific to MH. This is some kind of bug. I've had it (the text) come back on several times, only to have it disappear again in the same match... maybe all the weird weaponry and weapon fx added to these maps is somehow clashing!? ... Anyways thanks guys - i'm not going to worry about this as long as the MH game type functions in the particular map...

Cheers
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What would be also of interest ...which MH version do you use?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

See pix and info...
rb_mh_0.jpg
This is what's in the UT system folder:
rb_mh_1.jpg
This is an extra folder (I'm not sure why I made this folder...)
rb_mh_2.jpg
This is the dang thing it's working again...gahhh!!!!
rb_mh_4.jpg
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Oops
It works correctly. I misunderstood the point I thought at Monsters number from HUD. Time Remaining is not part of MH HUD, at least not default (any). TimeRemaining (if you set a time limit) is visible at F1 at bottom of screen in both v5.03 and v5.04.

Counting Monsters in order to be in Player's HUD:
V 5.03 - it happens in ScoreKill, so if ScoreKill doesn't get called HUD is not updated :ironic: ;
V 5.04 - happens each 3 seconds for both players and monsters to avoid a high load when more kills are happening and to have updates more often - even if monsters are dying in lavas or whatever instances.

This is one of reasons for a rewritten MH. If you like bugs you can play even v5.00.

Apart from defaults, in a sort of MH2 if you wanna try a tiny coding experience you can teleport that function where you consider it needed. The question is: How often you call it ? In maps with 1500 Monsters (if you can call those maps) imagine how much load is for engine.

Because Thread is about MonsterHunt problems let's do a tech revision:
- Sometimes Monsters weapon-holders are messing weapons - probably solved in 5.04;
- Monsters are added in Team 0 bugging "ReduceDamage" and F5 team-view - probably solved in 5.04;
- Monsters aren't so friendly to work against people - in big parts reacts different in 5.04 bunching attack at player;
- Weaponry have bugs and things forgotten - in 5.04 we have tiny improvements - even option for other mutators in case of bad bugs noticed;
- SpawnPoint spam console with a message and things works anyway - problem is attacked under 5.04 - I did not tested with custom spawnpoint because any other stuff is just trash and those maps using them are trash too;
- Was a problem with a door in a map ? - You might see tweaks done from verboser implemented in v5.04;
- "Stupid" Bot kill Nali and Cow ? - I guess they won't get mad in 5.04;
- functions developing accesed Nones are more cool in 5.04;
- Bot support (where exists) won't be so breakable in 5.04 as it was into 5.03 because WayPoint from now on cannot be touched too early. Bot don't need to run in place when target is missing or unavailable - changed in 5.04 and a more polite behavior nearby teleporters.

Stock stuff lacks in things for A.I. ? I think we can code custom triggers to solve problems.

Techs can continue but I think it looks like spam...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

FraGnBraG wrote:@eg - i'm affraid this counter stuff is _not_ controlled at all by preferences. It is specific to MH.
Actually, it is. After I got home last night I went to my MH, which seems to be the same version you've got, and went to exactly where I told you to go.

This is with it off:

This is with it on:

Now, it's possible it could be something else... but as the screenshots above show, it's clearly the "Show Team Info" in the HUD's preferences that controls that specific aspect you were missing.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

i stand corrected then :oops: :tu: thx eg

I guess the MH text is sorta "team info" where "hunters" is your team -- I usually have that pref set to "off".
It seems then that MH game type is overriding your setting, and then failing on some maps ...!?

well now i know :D

@sektor - is V5.04 an official latest version, or is this just a development version?

Should I be using 5.04 guys?
Last edited by FraGnBraG on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.