Working old HUB system

Discussions about UT99
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Working old HUB system

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I posted a similar topic a while ago on beyondunreal, and uberserker followed with the thread on unrealsp.
Here are the basic findings:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/ ... ha.203080/
This has been "forgotten" in the engine for quite a while but can have some nasty side effects like was discovered in the oldunreal patch with shadows and crashing upon transition/loading of the hub system. This has been fixed since acording to the log even though the version in question is not yet released.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Working old HUB system

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ... I have no clue what this is about.
What can I or others do with it?
-=SoP=-axewound
Average

Post by -=SoP=-axewound »

It's a lobby system
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

Can you please explain what is the HUB system itself and what it can provide?
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Given that this forum is mostly oriented on deathmatch type games, I suppose the lack of knowledge what HUB is/does is not that surprising.
As for what this does, it saves the state of the map, dead enemies, etc, like a savegame and then upon returning to same map you see the effects and things as they were before you left it. This was done/implemented in one particular mod for UT, Legacy. But as far as I know it used a custom script to do it and had multiple save slots. I did not however check/verify this, but fact is it's been there since the original Unreal and this functionality has been largely overlooked due to it not being documented.
It involves correct work with the ?push ?peer and ?pop "extensions" to the URL. ?push saves the map upon exiting, ?peer does a linear transition(but keeps the save still, without it it won't work properly), can be a map inbetween for example and then at the end of this map you do the map it was ?push-ed at the end of the URL and do ?pop instead, which makes it return to the main hub.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

This is something I have mentioned to people in the past.
One of the Deus Ex server admins tried an experiment after we had a chat about using server/map URLs as teleport locations.
He made a plain basic room with a box in the middle of the floor. I joined the server and enter the room.
He tells me in the chat to "Look into the box"
"Oooh this is all a bit Matrix", I said, and walked over to the box to look in.
Once I am up real close, I get teleported to a map he is currently running on another server.
All it really requires is cooperation between several server admin, or to run all the servers yourself (You can run several listening servers on 1 PC)

I suggested this idea ages ago, as a way to create a "Stargate" system, where you could do Assault missions across several servers, each with their own set of mods and mutators.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Dr.Flay wrote:This is something I have mentioned to people in the past.
One of the Deus Ex server admins tried an experiment after we had a chat about using server/map URLs as teleport locations.
He made a plain basic room with a box in the middle of the floor. I joined the server and enter the room.
He tells me in the chat to "Look into the box"
"Oooh this is all a bit Matrix", I said, and walked over to the box to look in.
Once I am up real close, I get teleported to a map he is currently running on another server.
All it really requires is cooperation between several server admin, or to run all the servers yourself (You can run several listening servers on 1 PC)

I suggested this idea ages ago, as a way to create a "Stargate" system, where you could do Assault missions across several servers, each with their own set of mods and mutators.
I'm sorry but that's not the same thing. Linking servers through teleporters is possible but that's not a hub system, that's the lobby system instead. For your knowledge, the lobby system was in use prior to there existing a server browser or gspylite in the original Unreal. In fact the original lobby map, index.unr, starship themed, has been lost for ages but was avaiable for download in 1998 on epic's website, not the unreal.com site but just epic's site. The server admins could edit it and was not recommended to download for clients.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Oooo... so that's why index.unr exist... o.o!
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?