A couple of questions.

Discussions about UT99
Unknown
Average

Re: A couple of questions.

Post by Unknown »

I thought Monster Hunt 2 Gold already had all that.
Perhaps I am wrong or I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain yourself a little better about cooperation?
And I also thought there was already an invasion gametype, what's wrong with it?
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Unknown wrote:I really didn't think this thread would go this way.
Which way did you think it would go? I would say it has gone much better than I would have expected if I were you; you can still post here and you are getting replies. I would say you are doing well indeed.

:confused2:
Unknown
Average

Post by Unknown »

I meant before when people were just talking about who I was instead of my post.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Unknown wrote:I thought Monster Hunt 2 Gold already had all that.
Perhaps I am wrong or I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain yourself a little better about cooperation?
And I also thought there was already an invasion gametype, what's wrong with it?
well looking at this somewhat convoluted thread it seems you were asking which mods would i like to see supported in UT4? no?

if you are asking regarding UT4, then naturally I would like to see MH (whether it is MHv2 or not is not really important since it would all have to be redeveloped using UE4 anyways)

i think it would be a good type for filling the "co-op" type of match (seeing as it was quite popular) rather than just have MODs for PvP ...

judging by what i see being done in UE4 (and also in UDK by Tom_caT's dev team at uni) maps can be absolutely massive environments - almost off-the charts compared to UT99 ... (did i just say that, lol! ooops :D
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

FraGnBraG wrote:
judging by what i see being done in UE4 (and also in UDK by Tom_caT's dev team at uni) maps can be absolutely massive environments - almost off-the charts compared to UT99 ... (did i just say that, lol! ooops :D
ohh you want big maps?

[youtube]HhyyUiYQolA[/youtube]
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Wises wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote:
ohh you want big maps? ...
thanks for this :tu:

whenever I first edited in UT3 (erm, 2007/2008) i started this VCTF map that had every bit if city related mesh in it (UT3 game assets)
the map was quite huge and was neat to hoverboard through all the streets going end to end etc., but looked like crap with all the over-scaled objects ...
I went looking at that time for city mesh packs etc, and discovered the business of procedurally generated cities etc. which was a bit of a mind blower.
at that point I just shrugged and gave up on the notion of making a giant city... delete, lol!

I like the narrators last comments regarding "fallout with motorcycles" -- I would probably totally disappear into a procedurally generated fallout world, as long as there's guns, gameplay and deathclaws ;)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hm... procedurally generated landscapes ...sooo ...does this mean every time I come back to a certain spot in this game, will the scene be slightly changed?
Unknown
Average

Post by Unknown »

FraGnBraG wrote:well looking at this somewhat convoluted thread it seems you were asking which mods would i like to see supported in UT4? no?
I am only interested in UT 99 for now. ;)
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

perhaps there us a way to create maps in UT99 proceedurally ... probably be good for the likes of monsterhunt I guess.

was watching some 2015 game reviews yesterday and noticed a game where the player spawns on a random planet (apparently) . which has self generating/evolving life forms, monsters dinosaurs, flying creatures etc.
also the world itself or each world somehow evolves from iam guessing some kind of procedural programming techniques.

anyway from here players can find abandoned ships and take flight out into space where they can engage in combat in meteor fields etc.
and mine for resources and visit other planets.

reminds me of an old game called ELITE :)

probably not possible to do these things in UE1.
Unknown
Average

Post by Unknown »

I believe this is actually possible, though it will need some good coding.

The creatures could change thanks to a timer which given enough time changes their properties like their size, speed, strength, health, abilities and more. And also, we could change their model and skins, even the sounds they make, but we will probably need some extra models for their different evolutionary stages and to have skins and sounds according to those.
I don't think it would be so hard to create something like this.

Now for the evolving or changing maps I am not so sure how it works with mapping as I never made a map before but we could crate just the exterior of the map, the boundaries and the architecture, and leave the rest to just actors over those. Then we can have those actors do the same the creatures do, evolve over time. Say metal gets rust if them map presents humidity or perhaps small changes like wind erosion and much more depending on whoever is creating this map like say an actual volcanic eruption and how this burns the trees around and turns to rock when it gets solid.

Now about the maps in space, which I think would be better as a separate idea. It could feature spaceships, I don't know if it is possible to make them travel in the map, and they could have teleports to another spaceships or to the meteors where the players can fight. I have not seen maps with different gravity or perhaps I can't remember but of course the meteors should have low to no gravity at all while inside the ships it should be normal.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Just imagine a MH map filled with Skaarj eggs ... A space station/ship maybe... There are so many eggs. You'll get a time limit where you have to exterminate all the eggs ...if you fail to get them all (and you will fail) Pupae are hatching and crawl through the map and the air-vent-system, getting bigger (by eating the crew)
If a pupae eats enough it sheds its skin (burst open) and a Skaarj jumps out of the empty shell (every class without armour is possible)...this Skaarjs are hunting you now and you have to survive till reinforcement arrives. But just hiding is no option, because sometimes a Skaarj can evolve into a Warlord ...and those guys smell your blood... through solid walls.

The growing can be made with a derivation of the Fatboy mutator.... only an egg model is needed.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:The growing can be made with a derivation of the Fatboy mutator.... only an egg model is needed.
Well, they don't grow into Skaarj · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/94350.html · but there's an egg in it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Unknown
Average

Post by Unknown »

Yes, I have Alien Mode and it is kind of like that but it stops at the Pupae.
We can look at it's code and improve it from there, like the eggs spawning only a single Pupae unlike Alien Mode that Spawns many, and then from there turn them into Skaarj. We could even make a Queen spawn the eggs, we just need a Ripley to save us.