Single Player Campaign, where do I begin?

Discussions about UT99
Unknown
Average

Single Player Campaign, where do I begin?

Post by Unknown »

I realized that I want to make a single player campaign rather than just separated mods as this way I can pack together voice packs, skins, new weapons, mutators and all that stuff.

So what would I need?

I know how to make voice packs, I know how to make skins, I know how to give new texture to things, I know how to modify weapons but what else is there? I have no experience mapping nor working with pawns, is there anything else when making single player campaigns?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Single Player Campaign, where do I begin?

Post by Hellkeeper »

It all depends on what you plan to do.
You will at the very least need to make maps or find someone to make them. Then it depends on the level of complexity you want to add.
You might need people to...
- Make textures
- Code new actors
- Model new weapons, characters and meshes
- Animate them

Or you might just need to make maps with the adequate gametype.
You must construct additional pylons.
Unknown
Average

Post by Unknown »

I am currently writing down my ideas.

I think I would probably need help with mapping and modeling as I have never done this before and I don't know how my computer will react to this, she's a little old.

Then the rest is up to me, I guess I am going to have to learn to code new actors as so far I only know how to edit them. I also need a little extra hardware, a microphone in this case to record the voices.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

I would suggest -before- getting too excited about producing a Single player campaign that you go to both UnrealSP and OldUnreal and try to get an idea of what you are up against. Look at some small campaigns first. Even the simplest small campaign can prove daunting.

nalipente2005, oneday, shrak are some small ones...

shrak is noteworthy in that the guys made it in a one month mapping contest, lol!
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Unknown
Average

Post by Unknown »

I know what I'm getting into, after playing the EXU, Return to NaPali and Seven Bullets campaigns, and I usually aim high.
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

I have a campaign called "FXANBSS Madness". :P

I modify any map i want but modified, now with monsters to kill, and i change some textures to get look a bit hellish. :P
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

FXANBSS wrote:I have a campaign called "FXANBSS Madness". :P

I modify any map i want but modified, now with monsters to kill, and i change some textures to get look a bit hellish. :P
Campaigns are a little bit more story driven than just "kill a bunch of monsters" ...what you describe is Monster Hunt.
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

It's like monsterhunt, but with load/save games.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

I personally take exception to modding existing maps and calling them your own. Standing on the shoulders of giants is one thing, but when you don't acknowledge the giant, well...kind of not cool, IMO.

Also, as paper said, loosely stringing a bunch of maps together does not a campaign make.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Carbon wrote:I personally take exception to modding existing maps and calling them your own. Standing on the shoulders of giants is one thing, but when you don't acknowledge the giant, well...kind of not cool, IMO.

Also, as paper said, loosely stringing a bunch of maps together does not a campaign make.
*cough* jazzyB *cough* :P

seriously, i could not even begin to list all the ripped off sh*t i found playing about 400+ MH maps recently...

@op - rtnp and seven bullets, heh - one made by a pro studio, the other by a small mod *team* - and the later took considerably longer to produce...

if you study the art long enough, it becomes clear - start small, then grow it if/when possible (otherwise you'll never reach the finish line)

so good luck with the ideas :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***