PhysX in Unreal/UT99

Discussions about UT99
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

PhysX in Unreal/UT99

Post by UTPe »

hi,
I've just seen a couple of amazing YT videos about supporting PhysX in Unreal and Unreal Tournament, unfortunately I never heard/read anything before about this project.
Maybe this project has been completed and released somewhere ? it can be installed ? or it was just an experimental project abandoned later ?
I'll be grateful if you can tell me something about it.

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Higor
Godlike

Re: PhysX in Unreal/UT99

Post by Higor »

If you hook/modify the collision hash object (and some of the movement code) you can prepare a "physics level" and send it to an external physics library to process most of the stuff for you.
There's a project named "Echelon" based on UE2 which uses Havok for this, in a similar way UT3 can use PhysX.

But... the only ones with real ability to do this right now are the 227i team, but that would mean including a propietary API in an official release.
All sorts of trouble.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Higor wrote:But... the only ones with real ability to do this right now are the 227i team, but that would mean including a propietary API in an official release.
There have been a few tests and a few videos of Unreal with PhysX, I think by Dots. But yes, I don't think this is something which could be redistributed.
You must construct additional pylons.
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

Higor wrote:If you hook/modify the collision hash object (and some of the movement code) you can prepare a "physics level" and send it to an external physics library to process most of the stuff for you.
thanks for the infos, now I understand the logic

Hellkeeper wrote:There have been a few tests and a few videos of Unreal with PhysX, I think by Dots. But yes, I don't think this is something which could be redistributed.
it would be a real pity, I would love to see finally PhysX effects in action on ut99 maps, that would be amazing !
anyway I found a PhysX package on OldUnreal forum (it includes some .DLLs) but I didn't understand well if I could use it also on UT99, it looks like to be born for Unreal only.
who knows ? maybe the coder will be able to release a final version...

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

thanks Flay, I'll take a look at these links asap ! :)