Where do I go now that Gamespy is down?

Discussions about UT99
Capecodman
Novice

Re: Where do I go now that Gamespy is down?

Post by Capecodman »

Just thought I'd make an update to my attempts to get Unreal Tournament running as a dedicated server. Still no luck. I've tried everything mentioned in these posts, including upgrading to patch 451, without any success.

I'm convinced it's the D-Link Dir-655 router I own. I downloaded the check Port tool, and it says the ports aren't open. Since I've set them to be opened in both TCP and UDP, I have no idea why they aren't opened, or what to do about it. One guy on the internet said, with this router, he had to set the ports to deny all traffic. I even did that with no luck.

Inputting the IPs manually did no good either. The Epic site says it's connecting, but then just sits there forever with nothing happening. Even though I'm now on patch 451, the 333 networks site says connection failed and that I need the latest patch. I still don't understand how it can say I'm successfully bound to those master servers, and not show up on the internet lists. I did have one of my friends check and he can't see it either.

Short of buying a new router, I guess I'm toast.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

That's really frustrating. I went through the same pain with my Netgear DG834. I did - somehow - get it working in the end, but as far as I could tell nothing had changed between my previous failed attempts, and the first time that it starting to work as expected, so that was all quite mysterious. For what little it's worth, these are my settings:

Capecodman
Novice

Post by Capecodman »

ShailHulud, Unfortunately the settings didn't come through.

I've been reading that some people use the virtual server settings, to forward their ports, instead of the direct Port Forwarding menu. Guess it's worth a try.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Sorry about that, I'm not seeing it now either, though it appeared to work earlier. I haven't been able to find a decent direct-link image host since ImageShack went paid for only. I'll try again, but otherwise I hope the guide you mention helps.

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ShaiHulud wrote:I haven't been able to find a decent direct-link image host since ImageShack went paid for only.
mediafire.com has picture uploads as well and 50GB for free. Or try imgur.com ?
I use abload.de
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

There is also photobucket. But I use Tinypic for quality upload. & sometime I use gyazo.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

:noidea I don't understand what you need an image host for ?
Just click on "Upload attachment" here (underneath the edit window), rather than on another site.

*EDIT* By Dr.Flay
Apologies for the confusion. I meant to quote, but somehow I ended up quoting you as you.
No idea how I did that, as just editing the post does not quote it, and quoting does not change the user.
:?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ShaiHulud wrote::noidea I don't understand what you need an image host for ?
Just click on "Upload attachment" here (underneath the edit window), rather than on another site.
If you want to share/post pictures across all other Forums is this pretty handy.

I don't like photobucket and tinypic because they don't allow pure direct links to the content ...if you want to see a picture bigger or not cut (by forum software) do you end up always on those pages instead on the picture only.

But back to topic, or Capecodman will get mad at us... :mrgreen:
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Well that was confusing. I didn't write any of this (quoted below). If an admin is going to edit my posts, or post in my name, I'd appreciate it if you'd include a note to indicate such.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

ShaiHulud wrote:Well that was confusing. I didn't write any of this (quoted below). If an admin is going to edit my posts, or post in my name, I'd appreciate it if you'd include a note to indicate such.
Uhm... that wasn't me. I was sleeping and I don't know what happened there :sleep:. I did check the moderator logs and can confirm that another moderator edited that post.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

Capecodman wrote:(..) the 333 networks site says connection failed and that I need the latest patch. I still don't understand how it can say I'm successfully bound to those master servers, and not show up on the internet lists.
I'm not sure what you mean with 333networks saying that you need the latest patch. I never added such a message to the site. The connection failed thing is definitely a hint that the ports are not properly opened, but I think we already established that.

The UT server always says "successfully bound" when it has been able to resolve the master server IP and do an UDP uplink. It's a one-way message. When loading the masterserver list, you try to query the server and that query doesn't yield a (valid) response, thus not making it visible in the UT games list.

Something else, at the top of your UnrealTournament.ini (the one you use for the dedicated server) there is the following section:

Code: Select all

[URL]
Protocol=unreal
ProtocolDescription=Unreal Protocol
Name=Player
Map=Index.unr
LocalMap=Entry.unr
Host=
Portal=
MapExt=unr
SaveExt=usa
Port=7777
Class=Botpack.TMale2
The default port is 7777, can you make sure that yours is 7777 too? The query port is 7778, but can sometimes go up to 7786 in rare cases. An unsafe option is to open all ports from 7770 to 7790 for both TCP and UDP, with the hope to find the proper port forwarding settings. If your ports are different in the ini, make sure to match your firewall accordingly (open door). The same goes for the WebAdmin, look up the port in your ini and test if that works.

If stuff really doesn't work out, feel free to join me on irc (333networks irc, link in signature) so we can try step by step where it goes wrong, and perhaps how to fix it. It may take a while before any of us respond, I won't actively be there until Saturday.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
Capecodman
Novice

Post by Capecodman »

SUCCESS !!!!!

Darkelarious. Thank you for your offer. As a matter of fact, thank you to everyone on the forum that helped me.

I'm glad to report, that not longer than 30 minutes ago I solved the port problem and can now get the server game online. I recently did a search on port forwarding with my D-Link model router, and found a video on YouTube where an owner of the same model said he opened the ports on this router by using the Virtual Server settings, rather than the Port Forwarding settings. I did it just a short while ago, and the Port Check tool you guys told me to download finally reported the ports as open. Previously, using the router's Port Forwarding settings, Port Checker told me the ports weren't open.

Once the ports were open, the game popped up immediately on the server list. I tried it and it works just fine.

Thanks again to one and all for helping me get this game back online. !!!!

BTW, I have the D-LInk DIR-655 router. It's apparently quite quirky when it comes to Port Forwarding, so if you have trouble, I hope reading this helps you.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

ShaiHulud wrote:Well that was confusing. I didn't write any of this (quoted below). If an admin is going to edit my posts, or post in my name, I'd appreciate it if you'd include a note to indicate such.
Apologies for the confusion ShaiHulud. I meant to quote, but somehow I ended up quoting you as you.
No idea how I did that, as just editing the post does not quote it, and quoting does not change the user.
I am still confused :?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

No worries; I'd started to question whether I'd been "sleep posting" or something for a while there!
Dr.Flay wrote:
Apologies for the confusion ShaiHulud. I meant to quote, but somehow I ended up quoting you as you.
I am still confused :?