Food Fight Weapons Video + Demo map

Discussions about UT99
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Food Fight Weapons Video + Demo map

Post by JackGriffin »

Made a quick video this evening to show some of the weapons and their various uses that may not be readily known. Enjoy...
rRDXokqaC8g

I have a pretty crappy rig so quality isn't stunning. Sorry about that. I also made a demo map:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3583976428
It's designed to be played alone and there are triggers that explain a few weapon's features a bit more. You can play around a bit in there and try things. This is a variation on the test map we've been using for a long time as we developed the mod.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Food Fight Weapons Video + Demo map

Post by Chamberly »

Ahhhh. Now I must play more and make a FF gameplay video. :twisted:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

I like the pan :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

DLD-RABBIT wrote:I like the pan :tu:
If your team member in front of you carries the burger can you give him a boost by hitting him with the alt-fire.
Jack forgot the Jelly ...but it's ok ...people will get how this portable jump-spot will work. Depending on the speed can it accelerate you in Deck16 from the slime pool bottom to the sniper spot. :mrgreen:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I did take some Jelly Jumper shots but it's no good at all to watch. It's something you need to experience really. It moves so fast that it just looks like a blurry mess on video. Besides it's pretty easy to figure out and some of the stuff I wanted people to experience first-hand (brocconade, halapenjo shot) and not see it first in a video.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

The papricannon (whatever it's called) you can launch more than 1 pepper and then explode them both with the alt-fire. Handy if you catch someone between the two explosions.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:The papricannon (whatever it's called) you can launch more than 1 pepper and then explode them both with the alt-fire. Handy if you catch someone between the two explosions.
The Papricannon (the name is a play of words ...capsicum or bell-pepper is known in many European countries as paprika)
To be able to shoot more then one Paprinade is intentional. If you time it well, can this weapon become very powerful.

Maybe this evening I'm back on the test server ...Grins, join me.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Maybe this evening I'm back on the test server ...Grins, join me.
Would love to, but my computer is still busted. Having the damnedest time getting ahold of the guy that fixes it for me.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Nice, but hands reloading weapons looks crappy, totally bad.. really this is final ?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Here is the source code http://www.moddb.com/mods/food-fight/ad ... ght-source
If you want to help me remodel and update the code ... otherwise is this mod final. :wink:
Play it and you'll see it doesn't matter.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Gen was our modeller and he put as much time in as he had to give. Hands and arms are really hard to get right, especially when you are unsure how the weapon will need to be rotated/moved once it is held by the player.

Food Fight was dead in the water for a long time. It needed to be finished and so we finished it. Yeah, it's not perfect but it sure beats it never seeing the light of day. Could we have put several more months into it to make it better? Of course but let me show you something:
ff.jpg
Zero real interest. I'm not surprised, UT has been done for a long time. It doesn't mean the mod isn't fun, it's just that not many people are left. Because of that you make hard choices. I'm particularly aware of my time and I don't want to 'waste' it. If this mod were going to be played by hundreds of people (tens even?) then the added time to make those last 10% of improvements is justified. To throw another couple of months and couple hundred more development hours at it just isn't worth the resulting usage in the community. Honestly a couple of people are going to add this to their servers as something unique to let their players try but I don't hold out hope that it makes any sort of splash in an empty pool. Besides I didn't do it for that reason. I did it because paper deserved to have a final version.

Like paper posted the models, code, everything is open source. If you are a modeller and you want to do better then everything is there for you to get after it. Myself, I don't model *at all* so I can't do this. Gen ran out of enough free time to continue, you can't badger people to do free work. It's not fair to them.

I totally understand your criticism but consider all the relevant things surrounding the mod too. There comes a point in any project where you go "OK that's where we stop", and this seemed like the logical point to me.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

That is not a bad rank but if you want to see the players that visit the server then you need to claim it so it starts tracking stats.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The rank is a little unfair. We did extensive passworded testing before release so the rank is inflated. I do need to claim it though, good catch.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Due to the cartoon style of the mod, I don't think people will be too worried about the the reload anims after a few games.
I don't see them as looking or feeling odd at all :noidea
Mind you, I don't stare at the weapons during a fight, I keep my eyes on the rest of the screen.

Everyone involved with Food Fight is a top-class amateur with busy lives, so what we have is the equivalent of a home-made version of a posh restaurant meal.
Some concessions have had to be made or as Jack has already stated, there would be nothing to put on the table.
The zoom for the Carroteer is probably much more important than any hand animations, but is broken online.
Ultimately in play this does not cause any problems, as it fires a homing carrot.
Should we have waited for the solution that may never happen ? No, the kids need feeding and we have already rung the bell.
If another genius can spot the problem and fix it, the sauce....*hehe* is available.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I just say...
I posted it on facebook We got more responses (and likes) there, than here on this forum where everything started. Even on unrealtournament.com did we get at least 3 replies.

Resulting in 40 downloads ... I was never expecting that FF would make a big wave... but 40 downloads nowadays is pretty good.

It's done and it's fun to play with it.
Now I can concentrate more on other stuff (like drawing things again) and maybe finish some map projects ...maybe even the fighting Nalis skins.