Phone cab :D

Discussions about UT99
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Phone cab :D

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

editor Dave wrote:Yay, a cable! But I can't tell what causes the error, maybe the brush was too complex? Coincidentally, recently I had a similar error with a much simpler brush, although I had never had problems before...
Maybe cause of the "Transform Permanently" option, mhm, I should do some tries to see if that's the problem.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Why? It is funny but sad XD
If you are tweaking your brushes using the /Main or /Post scale options or setting rotation value manually through the brush properties this can happen. If you do use main or post then you pretty much can't use that brush for anything else without having problems. Even copying the brush from one map to another can do what you show in your picture. Sometimes it will work, mostly not.

I'd scrap that brush and make a new one not stretched.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

JackGriffin wrote: If you are tweaking your brushes using the /Main or /Post scale options or setting rotation value manually through the brush properties this can happen. If you do use main or post then you pretty much can't use that brush for anything else without having problems. Even copying the brush from one map to another can do what you show in your picture. Sometimes it will work, mostly not.
So, even ex- and again importing the map, and then intersect the brush won't help? Or intersecting the intersected brush?
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm super confident that you know more about editor work than I'll ever know so this is just me speaking from my experience in working with brushes that have been scaled in main or post. You might ask Wormbo or Smirf about the 'why' part since it's happening somewhere behind the scenes that the normal developers cannot access.

Something is happening with scaled brushes and it has to do with how BSP is computed (I think). Scaling screws up the collision computing of the brush in some really weird ways if you try to rotate the brush or move it out of the map it was 'build all' created inside. It's probably due to the primitive nature of BSP computation and how values of anything but "1" in scale can throw off the computations in ways that were not accounted for.

You can see this if you scale a brush axis then build the map again. It does really funky shit to the BSP tree. The brush scaling doesn't convert to meshing well either in meshmaker. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't and you get weirdly stretched results. A lot of this is generational though. First generation design is good (mostly) but if you try to use that brush in a second or subsequent generation (like copying it to another map) then results pack their bags and buy a ticket to FunkyTown.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Well, I know nothing about the "behind the scenes" stuff :lol: What I did know, though, was to avoid Scaling alltogether, and if it is really needed, then to just take normal values, like 2 or 0.5 so the brush still stays on the grid. I didn't know it would affect the intersected builderbrush (needed for meshmaking). Interesting!
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.