Deus Ex Revision launches

Discussions about UT99
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Deus Ex Revision launches

Post by Swanky »

Hey everyone,

I know this is foremost a UT99 board, but since I'm going to talk UE1 this might be interesting for you as well.
For those who may or may not know, we just launched Deus Ex Revision, a more or less complete overhaul of the fifteen year old Deus Ex.

https://www.dx-revision.com/

So what's it about?
Revision is an aethestical overhaul of the original Deus Ex, a game that looked old even when it shipped. Along with it we incorporated widescreen fixes, HD textures, gameplay and quest fixes, augmentation changes through modsupport for various mods, a new soundtrack, new models for the most important characters and NPCs... All in all this mod has been in the works for 7 years. You see, the whole thing is pretty big, took me around 20 hours to get through the singleplayer campaign when in QA. However, we made sure that none of the original possibilities on how to solve any obstacle in the game were lost, we only added to this. For those who do not know, while Deus Ex is a linear adventure, you always have different ways to approach a solution.
You won't see much Swankytecture (it's a word now) here since I was mostly doing QA and map fixing - some of those maps had to be compressed in order to not break the engine - but I made sure you get the best possible experience out of this.

We would sure be happy if you'd give Revision a try, hope you enjoy.

PS: Unfortunatly, due to legal issues with Square Enix (whose blessing we got), this mod is steam only for now. Out of the box for now, anyway, I hear there's a workaround already. On the other hand, Square Enix has a steam sale right now. Enjoy :)

Image Image Image Image
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Deus Ex Revision launches

Post by Hellkeeper »

This looks very, very nice, but I have DX through an archaic recording device (Discus compactus, "sidi"). I'll be looking for a workaround.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I've never played this game :(

How much does it cost on steam?
Is it even available for Germany... :what:
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

It's a shame you've never played it since it is classified as a classic experience of gaming. Warren Spector made sure that each and every playstyle can succeed. So you can play this early ego-stealth-action-rpg hybrid by going berserk on everyone or sneak through. Augmentations are handled as enhancements of your playstyle, so for example you could choose whether you get an armor augmentation or emp shielding, or you could choose an amplified speed augmentation over a sneaking one, so you can adapt your playstyles even in the original Deus Ex. Also, characters might react differently, so when you kill every terrorist, you might only get a few lockpicks next time around. I would like to talk about the story, but well, you have to experience it for yourself. For its time it surely is impressive.
The steam version is now 1.39€ available until October 16th I think, usually you can get it for 7€, which is still a fair deal I suppose. Also, the game has been around since 2001, even in Germany, and I can verify the steam version is both uncut and available in every language (German version has english audio but german texts, not Revision though).
As for those who own either a cd or a gog version, you can check on Revision's moddb page for a working workaround. A goty edition is still required, last I checked.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

this mod looks amazing but it requires steam to be played, it's a pity :(
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

It's only officially required but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

I had seen this before, I got Deus Ex and I was checking out its ModDB page. It is a shame that I cannot play this, however, as my computer is as old as those games we play.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I feel sorry for the poor ratings on moddb, just because you made it 'officially' steam-only. I mean, downvotes by 2-3 points might be justified to some extent, but giving it a flat-out 1 (or 3 for newcomers lol) is just sad. Congratulations on the release, anyway! Right now, I'm physically unable to play, but maybe it's time for me to check it out, especially if the price is this low.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Had to get Deus Ex which was np, and then downloading with the other which take hours so I went ahead to play D.ex... just wow :loool: I got hooked in the story mode. Now it's bedtime?! Glad I have Tomorrow off. :mrgreen:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Yes... the story is really well done. Glad you like it.