Brainstorming.

Discussions about UT99
UTX
Skilled

Brainstorming.

Post by UTX »

I have opened this thread to share and discuss different ideas for us developers to have something to work on.
I personally have quite a few ideas that I want to include into Unreal Tournament but I am still looking for more to either get new ideas, expand what I already have or to simply see a different point of view. I do believe that anything can be made for Unreal Tournament with enough time.
So here we go, lets share. From new things we want in the game to things we have seen in other games, guns, items, mechanics, tweaks, fixes. There is still so much to do for Unreal Tournament.

Here's one: I have not worked much with the HUD yet, but I know it can be done. I would like to see a new HUD that displays the Player's armor count beyond the 150 points, it works for UT but with our mods, such as EXU, the armor count goes well beyond that and it is not shown correctly. Another thing that has to be fixed is when health, and then armor once that is fixed, is set to a 1000 points, as the zero seems bigger than the other numbers and it goes outside the box.
One final thing I would like to add to it is blood, displayed on screen when a Player gets hurt or kills another Player from a close distance, like how it works in Gears Of War.
Higor
Godlike

Re: Brainstorming.

Post by Higor »

Every mod has to implement this armor and health fix, XC_Engine cannot replace client functions due to ACE checks.

Now an idea: hit confirmation, I never liked hitsounds as they plague your UT with those annoying beeps and boops (I'm a Unreal version 200 player back from '97, blasting Kurgans and Sonjas and hearing the scream sounds)... I DO like the UT3 approach of making the enemy pain/death sound a bit louder (and higher radius) when you connect a hit.
I wonder it that's gonna even be possible to do via XCGE and if we can task the XCGE server to do this for all clients (vanilla or xcge).
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

And what are XC Engine and Ace?
I play offline so I wouldn't know about such things.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I think the idea of a HUD like you see in Left4Dead2, where blood sprays the players screen then slowly fades, is a neat idea but the flip side is players get very bent when you occlude any of their vision. In my Unreal coop server I have a diver's mask that comes down whenever your head goes under water. I've had to revise it twice due to player complaints because they don't like it blocking any of the screen. I finally said "Tough" this last version and left it, but it's only around the outer edge and much reduced from what I originally envisioned.

To be honest I think the future of Unreal and UT is Unreal 227. You guys just don't know the progress made with 227 and how much more it's capable of doing versus UT. I'm running over a thousand maps in my coop server with several hundred MH maps in the mix. Everything just works thanks to Smirf and his ongoing support and development.

Aside from that if there is to be any future it's going to be increasingly single player/ better bot support (go Ferzbots!). I think a lot of people just stop playing because they get bored so you need to compensate for that. Nelsona's work with MH and getting the bots to perform correctly is a huge step in the right direction and I'm shocked all the MH servers aren't running some form of it. Nothing is more boring than playing on an empty server so having several bots to order around just makes it way more fun, even if they are ultimately not very useful.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

@ Higor.
How about some kind of visual confirmation? Or perhaps not making the enemy sounds louder but making the game send the sound to the Player that inflicted the damage via ClientPlaySound, or something like that.

@ Jack Griffin.
Yes, I thought people may not want their vision blocked, but it shouldn't be a problem, we have both translucent and modulated textures to do the trick and people can still see through those. The other thing would be making them not last that long and avoiding them from stacking on top of themselves so nothing ugly happens.
About everything else, I think I'm not so up to date with things...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UTX wrote:And what are XC Engine and Ace?
I play offline so I wouldn't know about such things.
Then we cannot speak about brainstorming as long as you don't read this forum and that search button you find it useless.

Good, let me clarify my brainstorming:
- improving A.I. in at least 4 game-types + Net stuff;
- creating more NET codes for dumb stuff;
- fixing packages messed up to gain "new" old maps left in trash box because of crappy content used;

I repeat something. If the same machine runs a server and a client, some times game is more smoother so EVEN my OFF-Line is a kind of ON-LINE after all... Happens because server saves some resources and player gets what server says, else running game with full authority is not always so smoother.

As for Solo play in Bot Company I found no brainstorming at all to make Bot very in charge (playing like mapper - knowing all corners). I have some stuff fixed which none MH DM CTF server has yet (or I did not figured that - my bad then), so yes, you won't see me too much time in servers as long as my brainstorming's goal is 99% perfect game play after years of deception.