The Unreal Tournament needs You!

Discussions about UT99
UTX
Skilled

The Unreal Tournament needs You!

Post by UTX »

Good evening, Soldier.
I come to You today with a simple question. While working on the UT: X project, one of the characteristics that stands out is the customization of almost everything I am creating, this is because I personally like that, being able to set up my game. However, doing this also makes creating things take longer, as I have to add more into it in order to make things customizable. So my question is: Which is better for you? Total control, some basic control, or no control over the settings at all.

I would also like to know what You would like to see in the game. In a recent conversation with PaperCoffee, he told me he would like a Ripper which projectiles were laser guided and a Shock Rifle with bouncing Shock orbs, which I can totally make. So which other weapons or items would You like to see?
heliumcat
Skilled

Re: The Unreal Tournament needs You!

Post by heliumcat »

UTX wrote:So my question is: Which is better for you? Total control, some basic control, or no control over the settings at all.
Total control all the way here. :)

It's why I keep playing UT99 and UT2004 more than anything else.
UTX wrote:I would also like to know what You would like to see in the game. In a recent conversation with PaperCoffee, he told me he would like a Ripper which projectiles were laser guided and a Shock Rifle with bouncing Shock orbs, which I can totally make. So which other weapons or items would You like to see?
It depends on what you can make.

I'd personally like to see more stuff like drones, auto-turrets, laser trip mines and other more advanced stuff that gives more of a strategic edge to UT99, but you know that's gonna take a lifetime to code so it'd rather remain dreams I'm afraid.

So for more simple stuff I'd say something like a cyclone missile launcher like in rocketsUT but with the minirockets spiralling with extreme acceleration?
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

@ Helium Cat.
I think it should be simple to make those, at least on paper. You see, we already have something like that, the NW3 Cybot Launcher and Miner, and also, Ferali Dragon's permission to work with then. The Cybot Launcher already provides both Drones and Turrets, it's just a matter of changing them a little bit, so I would like to know what you want from them in order to make the necessary changes. The Miner already has mines, so adding a new Laser Trip mine should be simple enough, all it needs is a trace to detect when Pawns touch the laser to go Boom! The laser could be visible or invisible, that should be optional.
The mini rockets are the easiest to modify, as projectile speed is just a simple variable.

@ Wises.
I do plan on releasing the complete source, with code, images, and all, but after I finish the first complete release of the package.
I am not able to check, but I'm fairly sure the Freezer already does that. You can shoot both water and acid to create little ice "islands" to jump across the liquids, it probably doesn't work on lava though.
The Flame Tracker could be modified to shoot fireballs instead of the lava blobs fairly easily.
I was already thinking about some sort of shield, but I need ideas on how to tackle it.
I don't know about roof mines, as ceilings are usually high in UT.
I don't understand that missile idea, we already have plenty of homing rockets.
I think a universal tracking system is beyond my current knowledge and I too doubt there are enough players to make it worth it.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

He deleted his comment.
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

UTX wrote:I think it should be simple to make those, at least on paper. You see, we already have something like that, the NW3 Cybot Launcher and Miner, and also, Ferali Dragon's permission to work with then. The Cybot Launcher already provides both Drones and Turrets, it's just a matter of changing them a little bit, so I would like to know what you want from them in order to make the necessary changes.
Well I was talking about making turrets and drones from scratch without using NW3 stuff as source material, which (considering the time and effort it took Ferali took properly make and finish those) is one of the hardest things to develop for UT99, hence why it sounds like a modders wet dream and it surely impacted UT99 in a way no other weapon mod could.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Well, that does changes things. But it seems unnecessary, it's like asking someone to make a Shock Rifle from scratch when there's already one. So my answer remains the same, Nali Weapons 3 is the key to those things you asked, it's as simple as making the desired modifications. I think I will make controllable Cybot Drones, similar to how the Guided Missiles from the Redeemer work, or something along those lines.