Can you repeat the question?
No votes

Total votes: 7

UTX
Skilled

Poll: Are team colors enough?

Post by UTX »

Let me begin with an announcement.
I will not be able to move until next year which means that all my Unreal Tournament development projects will be stalled until next year. Bad news, I know, but that only means I have more time to plan things out in paper which should guide me through the project.

Now, since that old DMHealth thread sparked some interest in the recent days, I have decided to begin with the health items. In fact I had already begun working on them before I sent my computer away and I made two different skins for the pickups, white and red, along with the classic blue, or cyan in this case since I am using the NW3 models. I made it like that to have the option to set whichever color you would like, but I thought about adding both green and gold too to have all team colors.
That brings us to my question, are team colors enough? Should I add more colors? Which ones?
Keep in mind that the larger selection of colors, the larger the files will be, and that this is not exclusive to health items as I will use this as a guide while working on everything else.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Poll: Are team colors enough?

Post by JackGriffin »

Be very careful with this or you will break a lot of teamplay mods.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What do you need more than 4 team colours for? I hardly use them in deathmatch to get more variety ...but in team games I use only the two blue and red.
I know only a handful of people who play with more than two teams. Looking at Mr.L and Grins...

But it would be interesting to have some kind of mod/mutator where you can freely choose the team colours out of those 4.
Say, I would like to have a match against gold and red team or blue and green. But most of the CTF maps have all the markings of red and blue ...sooo, forget it.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I saw somewhere in the UT4 forums about doing more than red, blue, green, yellow; but don't think it was going anywhere. It's something you hear about from the time to time but doesn't ever get really flushed out.

Then again, my favorite monsterbot (UTDMT) when you set it up for team games the thing has built into it more than 4 options for teams, closer to 16 though it doesn't specify colors... just numbers.

UT is really built for just 4 colors, without creating an entirely new gametype I don't think you wanna mess with that too much... though if it works it might be interesting...

...you might be able to incorporate a colored halos around characters, similar to how MonsterMatch team colors monsters so you know which player they belong to. I don't believe that system is limited to 4 team colors, though it's not the same thing it's something to look into.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Perhaps this was misunderstood, I do not plan on changing the game mechanics regarding teams adding a bunch of new colors, this is just something I'm asking regarding item skins and different effects. For example, the option to have purple health packs, or that when I make some laser gun it has the option to be red, blue or orange.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

It makes a big difference if they are simply different colours to mark team areas, or if the different colours mean only that team can pickup that item.
There is a weapon mod that makes energy weapons use team colours when player uses it, so it is only an aesthetic visual.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

My question is regarding visuals only.
I am going to make the usual health items with different colored skins and said color won't affect anything but the visuals, so is red, blue, green and gold enough skin colors or would people like others like purple, pink, orange, brown, etc.

So far I have nothing planned regarding teams, this is just for visuals.
~{kRiD}~
Average

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

Personally I'd like the ability to have more colors to choose from. Maybe instead of having a list of colors to chose from, just have a custom line to where the client can set his or her own said color.

Example; "ClientHealthBoxColor=128", "ClientHealthVialColor=128" && "ClientHealthKegColor=128"

And in the readme create a list of colors and what variable equals what color...
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Yes, I agree that would be the optimal option and I so wish I could do it that way, but skins work with textures which I have to make with an external program such as Photoshop and so that would require that I made 256 different skins for all the different byte settings. I know there are others that can be done that way, like the HUD and its different colors, but I don't know how to make those.
~{kRiD}~
Average

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

Right, I get what you are saying bro but.. The colors are already defined in game already correct? So why can't you just call on them in your mod?? If need be I could provide you with another example..

Edit:
The only reason I could see you having to add and re-define the new colors is if you are making the new skins hi-res....
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

~{kRiD}~ wrote: just have a custom line to where the client can set his or her own said color.
This. If you can't do this then don't do the project. If you start texturing pickups in 17 colors then importing all that you are going to have this massive mod that could be done way smaller via uscript. You could literally create a voting system for each team to decide their colors at the start of a game, apply those colors to each team member visuals of pickups, and then redo it the next round in less size than a single texture import.
So long, and thanks for all the fish