Command Menu Glitch pertaining to the UTDMT

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Command Menu Glitch pertaining to the UTDMT

Post by EvilGrins »

Ultimately this is probably not fixable, I'm just curious why it's doing this.

As it stands you can't actually order the UTDMT (Unreal Tournament DeathMatch Titan) to do anything. It has programmed responses in it for when you give it orders that basically tell you what you can go do with yourself or that it's not interested in whatever you have to say.

Still... I've been putting the UTDMT onto CTF maps, and recently CTF4 maps. Not my own maps, which is why I'm not uploading them anywhere as other than the skins on the Titans, they're not my work. Mostly 1 Titan per team, sometimes 2.

Like these two:
CTF-ValleyOfTheKings2 : Jumbalaya & Tamale.

I only mention their names due to this one oddity:

For some reason having 2 UTDMT's on 1 team makes one invisible on your teamlist of the command menu. You can see in that last screenshot that Tamale is listed and I'm guessing that blank slot at the bottom is Jumbalaya.

Any ideas?

On a random note, if you order all your normal bots to different things, then try to order any UTDMT, the command bounces off the Titan and immediately re-assigns itself to all of your other bots. Weird, huh?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: Command Menu Glitch pertaining to the UTDMT

Post by MrLoathsome »

Those UTDMT titans are very cool, but the code is also very broken.

I run a map with them on it online occasionally, but have to take it down after I play it.
They spam the server logs with huge amounts of errors and warnings and sometimes
cause the server to lock up.

They need a code rewrite....... :wtf:
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

MrLoathsome wrote: They need a code rewrite....... :wtf:
After you are done with tentacles, how about a trash talking team Titan?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

MrLoathsome wrote:They need a code rewrite....... :wtf:
Nelsona/sector did one, though more based on a conflict with a mutator he was running to get around that. He experienced something I'd never seen, titans specified for teams attacking their own team after they respawned. I've never had that issue, hence a mutator conflict.

Actually, if you've a mind to work on them, howabout a UTDMSB (Skaarj Berserker) or UTDMW (Warlord)? As they're the next two BIG not teleporting monsters.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Re: Your initial question.

As far as I know, scripted pawns do not respond to orders like bots do unless the code has been tweaked
considerably. (Like with the Rebel Skaarj etc.)

I suspect the UTDMT code does not have that support. Haven't looked.
(Is the source even included with that? Anybody know who wrote it?)

If this ever does get a proper rewrite, it should read the list of taunts and other
settings for them from an ini file.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This thing is messy because of bIsPlayer. If it can be worked around then it's worth doing. As-is it does AddToTeam and messes up the HUD, team size, etc. It should be done as a S.Pawn derivative and recoded to be done correctly.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

JackGriffin wrote:This thing is messy because of bIsPlayer. If it can be worked around then it's worth doing. As-is it does AddToTeam and messes up the HUD, team size, etc. It should be done as a S.Pawn derivative and recoded to be done correctly.
Exactly correct. And it can be worked around. In my MegaTDM and MegaDOM gametypes, none
of the scripted pawns have bIsPlayer set true. They are all on the monster team. It wouldn't take
much to adjust that so they could be on any team. That method will work with any scriptedpawn.

The pawn itself is not the place to do this I think. A mutator would be a better choice.
blarg
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

MrLoathsome wrote:As far as I know, scripted pawns do not respond to orders like bots do unless the code has been tweaked
considerably. (Like with the Rebel Skaarj etc.)
What's a Rebel Skaarj?
MrLoathsome wrote:I suspect the UTDMT code does not have that support. Haven't looked.
(Is the source even included with that? Anybody know who wrote it?)
It was created by GorGor, another of the greats nobody can find anywhere anymore.
MrLoathsome wrote:If this ever does get a proper rewrite, it should read the list of taunts and other
settings for them from an ini file.
That's what sector did, he made an .ini for it. I never tried it because I didn't need it, but it seemed conflicted. Not all maps have the same number of UTDMT on them, so how does a single .ini handle random numbers of them on different maps?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

My appologises here. If you need old Accessed Nones back use old version or modify this one:
UTDMT.ZIP
(133.98 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Issues encountered by me in my CTF were those null calls to None (Sir None is very loved in this UT after all). Bad Attitude bytes, rotating boulders ON-Line never occured. Some damage problem when other UTDMT-Titan was showing up. So to speak I was trying to clean as much as possible these codes - a version mismatch I'm not sure if can be avoided but however I have some packages rewritten as long as NONE bothered to fix them 13 years and I won't wait 100 years for their ass to get back in fixing stuff.
This UTDMT is able to recognize Team byte from ScriptedPawn hating other byte and ignoring his team. If some moron default EPIC monster will be bitching because of Titan's bIsPlayer then Titan will react badly at threat murdering enemy.

If some still errors are here then we can talk about fixing them and operating codes more properly.

Notes: This ScriptedPawn with Player features might be a problem at a moment in some mods for logging purposes. It's doing a slope to bIsABot avoinding it (default) because... is not Bot after all and doesn't need to mess with Bot things. It's done with an INI where things might go nasty depending on environment used if configuration is wrong. In MH will respawn or not depending on directives and the rest of troubles which might be caused. Purpose of this pawn is DM where things are more stable. In team games consequences are unexpected. Being a monster after all, suprisingly is not ready for combat with monsters spreading errors based on a PlayerReplicationInfo which monsters doesn't use but UTDMT went retarded at this chapter.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

I will have to check that out.
There is a good chance the problem I was having, is that I am not even using the actual UTDMT.u mutator, other than
it came with a map I like. (CTF-Titania)
So those log file horrors I was seeing only happened when that map is running.

If the ScriptedPawn code for these is not horribly broken, they should fight other monsters if provoked, or told to do
so by a mutator such as BadNews.
blarg
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

My main concern for any advancements made of the UTDMT is if it's gotta be done someone renames the file. Too many servers have excessive file conflicts because someone didn't rename something they thought they could improve.
I still haven't had any problems (nothing major) with them, though admittedly I don't pay attention to errors found in game logs.
MrLoathsome wrote:is that I am not even using the actual UTDMT.u mutator
Near as I know, there's no actual mutator. It's just a .u file, and though it may not be necessary there's a .utx for its talk texture.