You can fire up rockets in a tightly clustered salvo

Discussions about UT99
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: You can fire up rockets in a tightly clustered salvo

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:But the other tricks mentioned in this thread are known?
You can avoid being shot directly, if you grab a pylon. In DM-StalwartXL, there are some pylons you can use.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

UTX wrote:
papercoffee wrote: Or if on Face and you got the flag, take the redeemer and go to the top of the opposing tower and blast yourself in direction of your home-base and the flag will fly all the distance to your team which can grab it and make the point (sometimes it won't work). Well yes, you'll die but the team can get points.
DO NOT DO THIS!
That's why I don't enjoy playing online, people and their exploits, last time I played CTF Face online this one dude wouldn't stop doing that thinking he was some hot shit when it takes much less skill to do that than survive and bring the flag back to base.
You know that this guy is losing points for every suicide? ... :wink: that's why serious player don't do this.
But on the other hand why is no one guarding the flag and hindering this "hot shit" from entering your base?
Anyway ...I don't like the original Face map and play often other maps where you can't use this cheap trick.
Or RL only server where you don't have any weapon pickups.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

lol @ redeemer and flying flag.

Can't think of anything else atm.. :| unless the carrying flag/drop when teleporting at the window is mentionable to make it go through the gap.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Personally this sounds all well and good, but it's easy to counter by running into the other team's base, grabbing their redeemer, then shooting it straight down to kill those who try to get the flag and knocking said flag over the edge into the abyss.

Handy MONSTER KILL.
UTX wrote:
papercoffee wrote: Or if on Face and you got the flag, take the redeemer and go to the top of the opposing tower and blast yourself in direction of your home-base and the flag will fly all the distance to your team which can grab it and make the point (sometimes it won't work). Well yes, you'll die but the team can get points.
DO NOT DO THIS!
That's why I don't enjoy playing online, people and their exploits, last time I played CTF Face online this one dude wouldn't stop doing that thinking he was some hot shit when it takes much less skill to do that than survive and bring the flag back to base.
Did you know that if you play as a SkaarjTrooper in UTcoop and you put your shield out you can survive multiple direct hits from redeemers?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Did you know that you can link Bio-rifle blobs with the Pulse rifle to make a deadly green net?.....

Oh sorry, wrong UT :tongue:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Did you know, whether or not it has a head, you can get a headshot on every living thing in the game? Well... except the bloblets.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

UnrealGecko wrote:Did you know that you can link Bio-rifle blobs with the Pulse rifle to make a deadly green net?.....

Oh sorry, wrong UT :tongue:
I'll smack you for that! I saw that somewhere, maybe can make this existing in UT99 with a mod. ;)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Chamberly wrote:I'll smack you for that! I saw that somewhere, maybe can make this existing in UT99 with a mod. ;)
Show me a video of what you guys are talking about and I'll try to make it, I plan on working on all weapons anyway so I can add something like this.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I hope everyone is finished feeling superior :wink:
Yes the extended functions of the rocket launcher are well documented but...

The way I see it;
* Unreal/UT weaponry is unique amongst other games for the combi-weapons and moves (watch the UT99 Garrys mod review, where the reviewer freaks out when they find the alt-fire).
* Some people will read all the documentation before playing, some will read during when they get stuck.
* Some people have a second-hand copy, an illegal copy or a digital download from GoG or Steam etc, and no printed manual.
* Many people, especially men only skim or do not read instruction manuals. Alpha-males do not need instructions at all.
* Developers often add undocumented features (easter-eggs) for players to find (Chaos has a few).
* Believe it or not, many people are not aware that the practice mode is how you configure custom games, and think that UT is only what you get in the ladder mode or on a server. To many people "Practice-mode" in a game is a limited basic experience for learning in.
* Some people have been making top quality mods for Unreal and UT for many years, but have no idea that int files can be so flexible/powerful.
* A large amount of current UT99 players have only discovered it since Steam and GoG sell it, and are not of the same generation.
* A huge percentage of UT players learned from a friend telling them how to play.

All experienced players with more knowledge should at worst pity those that lack it, not make fun of them or give them grief for not knowing better.
This is often a house of education so please take any opportunity to educate.
For example, we can take for granted that PrinceOfFunky needs to be shown the rest of the combinations.
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_ ... nt#Weapons

"Flak" is not something many civilians are familiar with (thankfully). It is Anti-Aircraft ammo fired from the ground. It is set to explode at a certain height and spray shrapnel in all directions.
I figure Papercoffee and me are aware of Flak because both our countries put a lot of it in the air each time we bombed the crap out of each others cities.
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aircraft_warfare
So In UT we have a portable Flak cannon with ammo that behaves like Flak or is controlled like a shotgun.

The Pool-ball "Eightball" reference has been around since Unreal because that was the name of the rocket ammo.
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Rocket_Launcher
http://unreal.wikia.com/wiki/Eightball_Gun
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling fix
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Dr.Flay wrote:All experienced players with more knowledge should at worst pity those that lack it, not make fun of them or give them grief for not knowing better.
Thank you :)
I started this topic cause I wanted everyone to know about what I just discovered, I didn't know that anyone knew about it already :/
Plus I searched it up on my UT copy and on the web but I didn't find anything else except a vid of the beta version of the rocket-launcher on UT(2015), where it can do the same as I wrote.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Fact o' the matter is, it's not unique to UT. You can do the same thing with the older version of the rocket launcher from Unreal1.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

EvilGrins wrote:Fact o' the matter is, it's not unique to UT. You can do the same thing with the older version of the rocket launcher from Unreal1.
Just tried and, I see there's even the impact effect on the wall lol