CTF-EpicBoy Crash

Discussions about UT99
Barbie
Godlike

Re: CTF-EpicBoy Crash

Post by Barbie »

I got the impression that the mapper had accidentally imported a screenshot picture with wrong settings (eg not 8 bit color depth) and because trying to remove that crashes his editor, he simply added a new screenshot in a group named - hmm, how can we call this? Well, "X" would be a nice name.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

It's funny to see that even companies can make mistakes. I laughed a bit when I thought of the scenario.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Yep i have the simular critical error.
It apears only when i did online play.
If you close ut 99 after offline play the error message does not apear.
A few mounths ago i did have simular erros message but it dit have something todo with the sound driver.
This error has something todo with the graphic driver or textures.
This one wich i have can simply remove when i do install the proper audio driver for ut99.
Spoiler
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:Interesting "work" and called EpicBoy. :mrgreen:
For sure the fix will be a little tricky since simply checking those textures = instant Editor crash - this seems to occur as well.
Ok ...is it possible to replace this texture with another one without seeing them in the editor?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:Bah, these sort of things in using more or less hacked ways to load a stupid screenshot never fascinated me.
Not a hack, a basic of maps. When you're still in the selection window before starting a game there's a tiny pic representing what the map looks like. Sometimes there isn't one, sometimes it's a slideshow of different parts of the map, but inside the map's MyLevel the file is Screenshot.pcx which I thought might be the problem.

If something goes wrong with the Screenshot.pcx in MyLevel it could be causing the crash.

Added: Which, now as I re-read the thread it looks like everyone already got that.

Tried opening the map on my system, and as soon as I go into MyLevel UnrealEd crashes. Which is weird as I can play the map fine, go figure.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:Not a hack, a basic of maps.
Confusion, I was talking about properties of that imported image for being a future screenshot. What I think about "a basic of maps" ? Let's see that I need a picture in size 256×256 with 256 colors as PCX or BMP. Import as Whatever and DONE - this rule won't be a headache. You can push limits ONLY if you know what you do or else quality turns into sh!t.

Aside looks like Barbie was digging deeper and found a stupid duplicate - perhaps General Failure was there with his army :mrgreen: , that's explain a lot - it's crashing even if you want to see all textures from MyLevel with Editor - to be honest this is not a cute thing but is a Bonus, LOL.
As talking about hacky ways I fooled editor when was coming about A.I. - pure server duty - without causing troubles for player, when comes to pixels and colors chapter that thing for sure is pain - display types and settings are in a bunch of combinations and doing things against rules for sure will make some player to suffer. That picture for screenshot I think has more than 256 colors because Editor is able to import such things as BMP but for the rest of things... none stability. Is crashing like from a sneeze.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I've been debating for a while making a mutator that deletes the map's screenshot when it loads and supply a generic one to prevent these type of crashes.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

papercoffee wrote:
sektor2111 wrote:Interesting "work" and called EpicBoy. :mrgreen:
For sure the fix will be a little tricky since simply checking those textures = instant Editor crash - this seems to occur as well.
Ok ...is it possible to replace this texture with another one without seeing them in the editor?
*cough*
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yes, but it will require a hex edit.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:Ok ...is it possible to replace this texture with another one without seeing them in the editor?
Yes, IMO: export the map in t3d format, create a new map in editor, preload all textures (without that broken one), music, sounds and then import that t3d file into that new map.

EDIT: Except there is no user created sub classed stuff.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

> Uses OpenGL
> Screenshots never crash

Sheesh, one day ppl is actually going to upgrade their UT.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

No Higor, not those in Intel drivers due to CPU usage. :/
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And also seeing mapper learning how to add animated screenshots compatible with everything as long as on my Intel Video card runs properly as it is, but OpenGL is not a good looking thing.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

See why Intel sucks? We must upgrade to NVidia!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

What I have is an On-Board video and this is an old brand HP, while d3d9 looks perfect, I don't care about other options - this was not a cheap thing after all. Seriously, if some people are unable to create a retarded screenshot, that's why I need to drop my PC in trash-box ? Are we kidding ? Okay I get it, is a joke let's laugh then... HA HA HA, I laugh, what's next ?