CTF-EpicBoy Crash

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTF-EpicBoy Crash

Post by EvilGrins »

I kinda figured out how to fix this last night, but when I tried what I thought would work it didn't... and then after I left for work this morning I came up with another idea, which I won't be able to try until I get home.

On some maps the MyLevel has subcategories, because the mapper tried to put into categories what he was adding. Dunno why, it's simpler just to put them in the base of MyLevel. EpicBoy has at least 3 categories: the core MyLevel + Windows & Flags.

When I said the other day UnrealEd crashes when you open the map, that wasn't entirely true. It only crashed for me when I went into MyLevel and then clicked "All" which shows all categories onscreen at once. Normally this works fine, but the mapper screwed up his setup. For some reason the core category (this'd be easier to show if I had screenshots handy) isn't visible.

My Idea: When you import a texture into MyLevel this window comes up that has 3 fields on it. I forget which order they're in, but one reads MyLevel, one reads the name of the texture you're adding, and the other has the category you're putting it into. If you delete that category one it will load your texture into the core category.

After that you go into the map's properties, go into LevelInfo, select that texture (may have to type that in manually if you can't view the core category) and then save your map (preferably under a different name just in case) and then exit UnrealEd.

That should/might work. Only way to test it is to go back into UnrealEd and check the MyLevel by going to it and clicking "All".

If UnrealEd still crashes after that, I'm outta ideas.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:After that you go into the map's properties, go into LevelInfo, select that texture (may have to type that in manually if you can't view the core category) and then save your map (preferably under a different name just in case) and then exit UnrealEd.
Read Barbie's post again ...the problem is not only the screwed map preview picture. This crapped texture is used in the map too...
Barbie wrote:This map seems to have two textures named "screenshot": one in the group "X" and one in no group:
CTF-EpicBoy-Textures1.jpg
CTF-EpicBoy-Textures2.jpg
This can explain why the editor crashes if you select "(All)" (see my above posting).
The textures are: group "X":
CTF-EpicBoy.unr-X.Screenshot(Texture)_0.jpg
without group:
CTF-EpicBoy.unr-Screenshot(Texture)_0.jpg
Beside that I found that the texture "screenshot" (without group) is used by 98 brushes:
grep Texture=Screenshot CTF-EpicBoy.t3d | wc -l wrote:98
I guess it is used on that surface of the brushes where they overlap with another brush and therefore they are not visible. Moving one of that brushes into free space so that every surface is visible, editor crashes after rebuilding and viewing it in 3D.
That's the problem why you can't simply get rid of this texture. You have to select this texture to replace it but if you can see it your UEd crashes.

I have to try something ...maybe I know a solution.
Edit------------------------
:sad2: I tried to open the map in UEd2.1 there is a support for OplenGL renderer ...but I couldn't open it because...
Struct Engine.HUD.HUDLocalizedMessage
Could not be found ...I don't know what I have to do.
Last edited by papercoffee on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:That's the problem why you can't simply get rid of this texture. You have to select this texture to replace it but if you can see it your UEd crashes.
That's why I said you'd have to enter it manually.

Compare how Screenshot is used in the MyLevel of another map, one that isn't all sub-categorized. It's pretty much that way on all maps. If you then enter it into EpicBoy like that, even without being able to see that part, and then save it... it will automatically delete those bad textures as they're no longer selected.

I suspect the reason there's 2 numbered Screenshot textures in there is it was an attempt at animation for the selection window. That can be tricky if you don't set it up right; you can load upwards of 8 of those Screenshot textures... most I've ever used was 6.

In editing maps I've seen in the past if you use a different texture for something and select it, manually or otherwise, it automatically dumps what you had before.

Just a theory, can't try it until I'm home.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: Compare how Screenshot is used in the MyLevel of another map, one that isn't all sub-categorized. It's pretty much that way on all maps. If you then enter it into EpicBoy like that, even without being able to see that part, and then save it... it will automatically delete those bad textures as they're no longer selected.
And here I see you didn't understand Barbie's post ...IT IS USED IN THE MAP ON BRUSHES therefore simply changing the levelinfo screenshot is not enough. You have to get rid of the texture on those brushes too before you can delete a texture in MyLevel.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:IT IS USED IN THE MAP ON BRUSHES therefore simply changing the levelinfo screenshot is not enough. You have to get rid of the texture on those brushes too before you can delete a texture in MyLevel.
What would happen if you replaced both textures, including the one on brushes?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: It only crashed for me when I went into MyLevel and then clicked "All" which shows all categories onscreen at once.
THIS is what we were talking about here after all...

___
Question in mind written: How and why was necessary this ? How could author select texture and apply to brush if not using another thing than Editor ? Huh ? If we touch that group everything is crashing. Then how was added ? Simple was done to mess any modification. You get it... TXT editing. Me one, I'm not bother to recover this.

Conclusion for me: To mind a basic check in stuff supposed to be used. Do am I surprised why even "stock" stuff was messing up server ? Nope, is logic. Since DigitalExtremes was helping UT + others, then everything went rammed more or less. Thank you, guys! I'm gonna erase all crap perhaps during this week-end. To not forget "relicsbindings.u" must have been done a lot of testing in figuring how to crash simple client... :(
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:How could author select texture and apply to brush if not using another thing than Editor ?
I often had a strange effect in editor: If I leave surfaces untextured so that they have the default bubble texture ("Engine.DefaultTexture") and import a new texture, suddenly all bubble textures are replaced by this new one although they were not selected. Maybe this happened to the mapper of CTF-EpicBoy also.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Perhaps this was the innocent move done...