Are my friends in over their heads?

Discussions about UT99
moteh
Novice

Are my friends in over their heads?

Post by moteh »

So this has been a bit of contention at our LAN games recently.

First off, I am a PC gamer and a console gamer (big fan of Wii FPSes, especially Metroid Prime) but I play UT for the fast paced run and gun action... it seems my friends play it to better hone their mouse skills... however all I hear is complaining that the enemies move to fast etc and it's hard to get a good head shot in.

We're playing with bots on the easiest setting just so my friends don't die (I get killed more often by a bad jump off a level... I think I die once or twice a match from a bot at most) and one time I upped it one level to normal difficulty and they just got their asses kicked to the point I was the whole team with them has my handicap.

Thing is they enjoy it despite their bitching... we've been playing for a few months, these are gaming people (just console gamers)... are they a lost cause in this case?
Dracos-z
Novice

Re: Are my friends in over their heads?

Post by Dracos-z »

get them on line to play other ppl.
much more fun.
bots are pointless unless set to god mode.
otherwise they just repete the same old moves.
stick around here and you will find some of the best ut99 servers there is.
with some of the best players.
a few are better than god bots. lol
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

moteh wrote:So this has been a bit of contention at our LAN games recently.

First off, I am a PC gamer and a console gamer (big fan of Wii FPSes, especially Metroid Prime) but I play UT for the fast paced run and gun action... it seems my friends play it to better hone their mouse skills... however all I hear is complaining that the enemies move to fast etc and it's hard to get a good head shot in.

We're playing with bots on the easiest setting just so my friends don't die (I get killed more often by a bad jump off a level... I think I die once or twice a match from a bot at most) and one time I upped it one level to normal difficulty and they just got their asses kicked to the point I was the whole team with them has my handicap.

Thing is they enjoy it despite their bitching... we've been playing for a few months, these are gaming people (just console gamers)... are they a lost cause in this case?
ROFL! Wow I can't even imagine being that bad although I wasn't the best at Goldeneye 007 when I first picked that up. Godlike on any version of UT that doesn't have either 451b or Extension Pack demo installed is equivalent to adept on my game and most of the bots I fight are tougher than your average human player. All I can say is try teaching them how to better play UT. I notice that a lot of new players stop to get a shot off (although this is sometimes useful when done correctly) or simply just don't know how to maneuver (strafing, jumping, back pedaling, etc.) very well and focus more on turning and aiming. Try teaching them to strafe around corners when they turn and getting them to realize a head-on attack is not always the best option if all you do is run in a straight line towards an enemy.
moteh
Novice

Post by moteh »

Well, I should clarify... one of my friends is better than I am at the game... he does play at god level...

I was always an exploration type of person... I'd turn off bots just to walk around levels and see everything, but I also have fast reflexes and can plan on a fairly high setting if need be...

The problem is my friends who for lack of a better term, SUCK at UT say it has to be more tactical and realistic (whic yes, I realize is a dumb commment considering the name of the game :D) this guy will play TeamDM with us and will be beaten by bots half the time in kill count (which is sad cause as I said, we play on Easy, up to 99 frags when he's around)

I'll be in the 80s when he says "finally double digits"... the thing is he loves the game, but just can't get good at it... I'm wondering if there's a map out there you guys recommend for noobs, especially since I srarted on UT2k4 for the most part and don't really know the maps in UT99 that well.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

I recommend playing mosterhunt and singleplayer missions. (only for UT99 :tu: )