Comment for our Community-Mappack

Discussions about UT99
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Comment for our Community-Mappack

Post by editor Dave »

Hello community,
I want to comment our mappack. I don't want to be unfriendly, but that, what I will write is important for our image...

At first I start with DM-CorruptionD:
The architecture is okay. It isn't on "noob level", but it hasn't the best graphics of the game you've ever seen.
The Gameplay: It makes fun, but there is no Z-Axis (fights over several plains). Z-Axis is one of the most important things in Deathmatch.
Lighting: I personally don't like the lighting of the map. There are no sources and the only one is the orange sky, which is the highlight of the map. There should be torches or lanterns or something in that way. And please make two different colors of lighting like in most of the other UT maps.
My score: 4/10 because it has acceptable visuals and acceptable gamplay

CTF-BattleForIceNFire

It's difficult to coment this map, because it is a map that raises from most other maps by reason of the different looking. It has something cool, but it's much too huge. You need nearly minutes to reach the other base and you think that there aren't any bots, although you fight against 15! From the outside the bases look interesting but when you go into them, it is quite ugly in my opinion. More trims and decoration would be better so that this map looks good. I know that you, Feralidragon, are a beginner and for that the map is good, but it shouldn't find a way in a mappack that shows a good working community...
My score 2/10 because of its originality and its lame gameplay

DM-Radiolysis

Aalexanderrr is a good mapper and his newest map is simultaneously the best map from the pack. The visuals are good, and the lighting fits, too. I can't say something bad about the graphics, but there are some other things to make a map which makes fun to play. For example, the map is very small. Of course, this is an 1on1-Map, but the other maps from that sort are bigger. Gameplay isn't bad, but it's a bit boring, because you are the whole time outside and there is too few Z-Axis. A few corridors inside the building would give more alternation ;)
My score: 5/10 because of the good graphics

DM-Sixth

The map has its difference to the other UT maps I know, but it looks a bit strange. It looks like noob mapping although it isn't. I think you should take other textures (for example Crystal textures) for these "Things" . I liked the gamplay even though there isn't much Z-Axis. The jumpers are funny, but a few times the bots didn't find their way.
My score: 5/10 because of its originality and its funny gameplay

MH-PlanetEscape
I must say, that I was looking forward to this map because MonsterHunt is a great gametype, but I was disappointed, when I realized that it is only the CraterMap from Unreal. I don't write more, because it's only a copy from an EPIC Mapper.
My score: 0,5/10 points and I am friendly...

This could be a post from an other user, when he thought that these maps are good.
I was disapointed about this mappack. I know that the mappers took care to make these maps but when I looked into the readme I saw mapping times between 10 hours and 4 days! I was a bit shocked because I thougt that the mappers took their time to make their maps beautyful and good. We wanted extravagant maps for the pack, but this isn't, sorry.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Comment for our Community-Mappack

Post by Myth »

Thanks for the harsh reviews Dave. I was never good at layouts nor at z-axis stuff. I'm trying to improve on that. Because of that my maps mostly depend on graphics and originality. Bot pathing is a pain in the ass, and I end up whit spaghetti like paths very often. But I'm trying, and I don't give up that easily.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Myth wrote:Thanks for the harsh reviews Dave. I was never good at layouts nor at z-axis stuff. I'm trying to improve on that. Because of that my maps mostly depend on graphics and originality. Bot pathing is a pain in the ass, and I end up whit spaghetti like paths very often. But I'm trying, and I don't give up that easily.
You are on the right way. :tu:
I suggest you to take a look at Swankys DM-Maris.. this is a hell of Layout.. i :wink:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Yeah, the map is huge because it's intended to be played online with the Rocket-X/Nemesis-X mutator activated.

And you're right about the inside stuff, I should add more deco and stuff (I wanted to, but I was only thinking about the map performance and BSP errors). Well, and as I am going to make all the maps to my SP mod, I have to work very hard on that (harder than scripting now).

So I am already "studying" the other maps, tutorials about good looking + good gameplay, and I found that I think that I actually can do good maps if I follow the BSP rules and place trims and stuff. The biggest challenge in my map was the texture alignment, so I will never do certain things as I did in that map.

Thanks Dave for the comments, and let me say that i liked your comments, they help me a lot to not make the same mistakes as I did on that one :tu:
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Swankys DM-Maris...
Roger that, blue leader. :highfive:

Edit: Ok, I tried it out. I never liked that style of mapping. For me it only seems to be another techno remix. Fortunately this map had a few innovations whit it. I'm not saying that it's a bad map.
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Thank you for your really great review !! I totally agree about the gameplay, it is simply boring and layout is a way too open. I'm already working on my next DM map ( for FoT mappack ) which will be much better layout wise... hopefully. :tongue: Once again, thanks ! :)